BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

Got a boston butt to throw on the smoker this morning. Since every day feels like a Saturday why not!

I’ve never had one of these Boston butts before I guess it’s just a smaller version of a pork butt but it’s wrapped in string and everything I’ve read says leave it on so we will see what happens. It’s ready to go in the smoker as soon as it’s up to temp
E17FAC9E-CEA0-4669-A77B-90CC78B06470.jpeg

I’ve never had one of these Boston butts before I guess it’s just a smaller version of a pork butt but it’s wrapped in string and everything I’ve read says leave it on so we will see what happens. It’s ready to go in the smoker as soon as it’s up to temp
View attachment 8934583
I've done a few meats with the wrap, it's ok because it holds the meat together but when it's done, have some scissors handy to cut the elastic mesh, because if you try and pull it apart, you'll take chunks of meat with it that baked on the string

View attachment 8934583
What rub did you use / how did you prepare it?

View attachment 8934583

@GolferGal can you help our friend here.

I've smoked plenty of butts that are wrapped in string (either pre-wrapped or wrapped by me) with no issues.

Picked up the last brisket our favorite butcher had in stock. Stoked to get up super early tomorrow morning to smoke this bad boy.

Damn the stall! It gets me every time! I knew I should have put it in sooner this morning. Only about an hour left...I hope

Well I had to foil it in order to eat at a reasonable hour so the bark isn’t as good as I would have liked but it was delicious
EB1D8093-C665-45C1-A46F-DDA33C81F293.jpeg
Finished product
C926F2BE-349C-4E7F-96BC-4F61369FCC6B.jpeg

Damn that looks good J.

I was trying to get some idedas for smoking/grilling and with the time I have on my hands I started to scout the net. I came across this site. It's called the Wolfe Pit.
It really have some very good recipes for grilling and smoking with step by step directions, and its FREE. I picked up a couple that I'm going to try, plus they also have reviews about different things. Today they reviewed Walmart's beef riblets, which I have been using and are really good.

I keep forgetting today is April Fools. I opened my email to this WTF moment:
7D5DB5C9-FF38-42CE-A187-DCD361A58CEB.png

Going to smoke some burgers for the crew today, don’t think I’ll make burgers another way again.

tasted pretty good. Only my second brisket and I’m far from a master...it was tender and not dry - but far from super juicy.

Think we are all looking for the holy grail of briskets when we master the perfect juice result!

One on my small joys through this lockdown has been firing up the charcoal tailgate grill, having a beer and sitting in a fold up chair and reading THP. I’m getting pretty good at this little grill now and can’t wait to step my game up at future tailgate. Today it is hot dogs for lunch, but the other day it was fajitas.
3251C38A-730C-4F35-99A2-170F3979422B.jpeg

One on my small joys through this lockdown has been firing up the charcoal tailgate grill, having a beer and sitting in a fold up chair and reading THP. I’m getting pretty good at this little grill now and can’t wait to step my game up at future tailgate. Today it is hot dogs for lunch, but the other day it was fajitas.
View attachment 8935444

Now that is fun.

Now that is fun.
I have learned that making an even fire that doesn’t last too long is a bit of an art. It has been a blast, and makes me wonder why I use a propane grill most nights. Maybe some of my stimulus money is going to go towards a Traeger.

Smoking some wings for tonight's dinner and finishing them up on the grill. Half on them will be seasoned with a dry rub and no sauce the other half(mine) will get dry rub and grilled with a homemade hot bbq sauce.

I have learned that making an even fire that doesn’t last too long is a bit of an art. It has been a blast, and makes me wonder why I use a propane grill most nights. Maybe some of my stimulus money is going to go towards a Traeger.

We are equal opportunity outdoor cooking people.
2 Pellet Grills
1 Gasser
Pizza Oven
Flat Top

And if I could add more, I would. Although with my industry going through a bit of a “transition“ (we shall call it), no big purchases for me.

Back