BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

Now I'm curious to know what issues you're experiencing.

i’ve posted about it in this thread. basically the unit went apesh1t (pun intended) and burned itself out, tripping the breaker and damaging the internal components. i’ve had a lot of back and forth with cs. i was told i bought unapproved pellets (i don’t recall seeing an approved list anywhere), so we are going to try that. if it doesn’t work again, we are going to look at the igniter. after that i think they’re going to push it up to management to discuss a replacement.

that bologna sandwich sounds great. What do you put on them? I'd really like to give this a try!
I had mine with a little mustard, vinegar slaw and homemade bread and butter pickles.

Hey @mikeg_74 do you know much about the company Pitts and Spitts? Based on your town and do everything there.

My next outdoor kitchen piece will be made in USA so was curious.

My man! Smoked and then fried bologna is special!View attachment 8986508

I want to do this sometime soon. Not a huge bologna fan, which stems from my HS days making fried bologna octopus’ in the frying pan over and over again, but color me curious how this would turn out! I’m gettin’ inspired!!

Hey @mikeg_74 do you know much about the company Pitts and Spitts? Based on your town and do everything there.

My buddy’s father (long-time family friends) has one. When he upgraded to another, his father passed it down to him.

I don’t have any personal experience with them, but I haven’t had a bad meal cooked on one yet.

If you’re looking at Pitts & Spitts, I’d check out Yoder Smokers as well.

Good luck in your search and let us know what you decide on.

Ribs and chicken in the smoker over the weekend...

IMG_20210102_181130_01.jpg

I don’t know much, but they have been around a long time and have a great reputation. They make custom BBQ pits and smokers. Years ago I knew someone who had them make a pit/smoker on a trailer for tailgating and they had nothing but good things to say about them and the process.

Looks great. How did it taste? Also, how long did it cook for?

Thanks

It tasted great. I had leftovers last night. 250° for 5 hours then held it wrapped for another hour.

I don’t know much, but they have been around a long time and have a great reputation. They make custom BBQ pits and smokers. Years ago I knew someone who had them make a pit/smoker on a trailer for tailgating and they had nothing but good things to say about them and the process.

Thanks. Pretty fascinating company and there are a few of them out there that are Made in US.
This Houston company gets fantastic reviews though and probably builds the most solid out there with 100% welded. 7 gauge steel is crazy impressive compared to the norm.

Thanks. Pretty fascinating company and there are a few of them out there that are Made in US.
This Houston company gets fantastic reviews though and probably builds the most solid out there with 100% welded. 7 gauge steel is crazy impressive compared to the norm.

I know there are quite a few of the big Rodeo Cookoff teams have had pits built by them as well. So the quality in construction is there if those guys are happy.

I know there are quite a few of the big Rodeo Cookoff teams have had pits built by them as well. So the quality in construction is there if those guys are happy.

Very good point.
I think my next one will be either a Pitts and Spitts or a Yoder. While I love what Twin Eagles is doing, their costs prohibit me from diving in.

Have you looked at Backwoods Smokers? They are made just outside Shreveport.
A ton of competition teams use them. I’ll guess probably 8/10 Memphis in May Grand Champions and category winners use them.

Very good point.
I think my next one will be either a Pitts and Spitts or a Yoder. While I love what Twin Eagles is doing, their costs prohibit me from diving in.

As kid in middle and high school, I built BBQ pits with my dad and we sold them. They were nothing like what these guys do, but they were built solid with hand grinding and welding. It's definitely a process, but so worth it if done right. I know my dad still has a pit he uses to this day that we built when I was 13 or 14.

Have you looked at Backwoods Smokers? They are made just outside Shreveport.
A ton of competition teams use them. I’ll guess probably 8/10 Memphis in May Grand Champions and category winners use them.

Yes definitely. Only have a single pellet model and since that is what we prefer in our smoker, it kind of leaves them out. Feel the same way about Jambo Pits, out of Ft. Worth. Amazing quality, but no pellet options.

As kid in middle and high school, I built BBQ pits with my dad and we sold them. They were nothing like what these guys do, but they were built solid with hand grinding and welding. It's definitely a process, but so worth it if done right. I know my dad still has a pit he uses to this day that we built when I was 13 or 14.

That is freaking cool. I love the high quality made in US aspect for a BBQ.

Yes definitely. Only have a single pellet model and since that is what we prefer in our smoker, it kind of leaves them out. Feel the same way about Jambo Pits, out of Ft. Worth. Amazing quality, but no pellet options.

This is new or relatively so. It may not be what you want but is a pellet option.

This is new or relatively so. It may not be what you want but is a pellet option.

yes sir, that is the one I was speaking of. Its not perfect what we are looking for, so it leaves them out.
As they expand in that area (which I believe they will) they will definitely be at the forefront as they make solid machines.

And now the search begins for a new grill/smoker, I keep hearing great things about traeger, at the base of it all I want Wifi access to control when I'm not around, but I'm curious are the higher valued ones really worth the money, or are the $300-$400 budget models worth it to try? Sorry I've read this thread off and on, but can't go through all 207 pages!

Traegers are good, but all have the same issues across the board. Rectecs supposedly have fewer issues but I never looked into them. I am on a few pit boss pages on Facebook and there's frequent posts about which model has the least issues. And I'm sure there's pages about other brands too.

I just ordered a the PB vertical for the PID controller and the wifi control, hoping it performs well and ill sell off my current vertical.

I dont have pictures cause they just dont survive long after taking them off the grill. However, we have enjoyed the crap out of some costco Prime grade ribeye steaks this past year!

Season with some Bull Sh*t seasoning (from big c**k ranch seasonings), sear both sides, move to indirect heat and cook to 130 for juicy medium rare perfection!

re my grilla grill chimp issues. i removed the traeger pellets and replaced with cookinpellets.com pellets. everything worked fine. so i’ll remove the components inside, give them a cleaning, and try a cook this weekend. what should i cook? i’ve done baby back ribs and pork butt. open to suggestions!

re my grilla grill chimp issues. i removed the traeger pellets and replaced with cookinpellets.com pellets. everything worked fine. so i’ll remove the components inside, give them a cleaning, and try a cook this weekend. what should i cook? i’ve done baby back ribs and pork butt. open to suggestions!

It is super weird the issues you were having with Traeger Pellets. We have used them in our Grilla for a couple of years as they are convenient to buy, but I hate that you had that type of service experience.

Go with a pork butt. Nearly full proof, amazing in the Grilla and produces enough food for a week.

It is super weird the issues you were having with Traeger Pellets. We have used them in our Grilla for a couple of years as they are convenient to buy, but I hate that you had that type of service experience.

Go with a pork butt. Nearly full proof, amazing in the Grilla and produces enough food for a week.

their customer service was very friendly, and all’s well that ends well. but they need to have an approved list of pellet companies if it could cause this kind of issue.

i did the pork butt last week, but on the kamado. it was heavenly. other suggestion?

their customer service was very friendly, and all’s well that ends well. but they need to have an approved list of pellet companies if it could cause this kind of issue.

i did the pork butt last week, but on the kamado. it was heavenly. other suggestion?
Cherry Cola injected pork tenderloin. @GolferGal has the recipe somewhere. Its one of my favorite things she makes.

And now the search begins for a new grill/smoker, I keep hearing great things about traeger, at the base of it all I want Wifi access to control when I'm not around, but I'm curious are the higher valued ones really worth the money, or are the $300-$400 budget models worth it to try? Sorry I've read this thread off and on, but can't go through all 207 pages!

I bought a Recteq 680 5 years ago this month and 4 of my buddies have bought the 700/Bull.

The 700 has a 6 year warranty.

Recommend you check them out.

I feel the customer service is better than any product I've owned, although I've only need it once in 5 years for a temperature probe gone bad (y)

Back