BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

Thanks for the insight. Really appreciate your help. I was initially thinking a pit boss/big green egg but now I’m much more inclined to go with a pellet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just want to add to what JB said. The big green egg is going to offer more smoke, but it also brings in the chance for some bitter smoke. I found the big green egg too hard to regulate the temp, and I personally didn't like dealing with heating the charcoal. With the pellet grill, you will get a great smoke ring, but not a ton of smoke flavor, but they make these things called smoke tubes that you can put in the grill while you are cooking that helps add a ton of smoke flavor.

My biggest piece of advice is to read reviews online and see which ones seem to have a better reputation for holding temps. That's key to a good cook.

You will not get grill marks on most pellet grills, however you can add something called GrillGrates that are a game changer for wanting to get grill marks on your food. Some pellet grills offer a sliding grate built in (I believe Louisiana and Green Mountain offer it) or have a sear box like the Camp Chef Woodwind, but with the camp chef the sear box runs off propane.

A lot of people who use a pellet grill do what is called a reverse sear where they smoke/cook the food on the pellet grill and then throw in on their gas grill, or into a skillet or move the slide in their pellet grill if it comes with one to get that sear at the very end. It sounds complicated, but it's not, and now with the GrillGrates I get the sear and marks while I cook.

Dang it Morgan! You hit all the same points I was thinking.

Do you feel like the grill grates work as advertised?

10000% yes!

To add to this, we use our thermal read thermometer to test if the grates really were hotter than the pellet grill temp and sure enough it was. The company says that depending no the grill you are using the GrillGrates will get anywhere from 100-350 degrees hotter. Pellet grills range from 100-200 and when we tested it the GrillGrates were almost 100 degrees hotter than our pellet grill.

She knows her stuff my friend. Grill Grates are awesome. We did a laser temp test and they run hotter than the grill surface too. So searing is definitely there.

10000% yes!

To add to this, we use our thermal read thermometer to test if the grates really were hotter than the pellet grill temp and sure enough it was. The company says that depending no the grill you are using the GrillGrates will get anywhere from 100-350 degrees hotter. Pellet grills range from 100-200 and when we tested it the GrillGrates were almost 100 degrees hotter than our pellet grill.

She knows her stuff my friend. Grill Grates are awesome. We did a laser temp test and they run hotter than the grill surface too. So searing is definitely there.

Haha I edited my post to add that at the same time you made your post.

10000% yes!

Morgan is my new grilling hero!!

The grill grates I think are really needed to get the searing temps, but I was a little skeptical about them actually getting significantly hotter than the grill.

I think I could scrap the charcoal grill and the gas smoker for a decent pellet grill.

The grill grates I think are really needed to get the searing temps, but I was a little skeptical about them actually getting significantly hotter than the grill.

I think I could scrap the charcoal grill and the gas smoker for a decent pellet grill.

Haha, thanks! I love to cook, so it's been so much fun trying new things on the grill.

With the right accessories, I think you absolutely could. If you want more smoke, get a smoke tube, if you want grill marks use the GrillGrates. You can even turn the GrillGrates over and use the flat side like a flat top and get a crust on a burger like you would in a diner.

Haha. She is my Grill God (for those that know the Camp Chef commercials, that will make sense).
Totally could.

Haha, thanks! I love to cook, so it's been so much fun trying new things on the grill.

With the right accessories, I think you absolutely could. If you want more smoke, get a smoke tube, if you want grill marks use the GrillGrates. You can even turn the GrillGrates over and use the flat side like a flat top and get a crust on a burger like you would in a diner.

Oh one thing to add, when you decide to deep clean the grill grates in the sink, be careful, those suckers are sharp! I have little paper-cut like cuts all over my fingers from doing that.

Lots of great info, thanks for the input. I’m thinking I like the idea of the pellet grill that comes with the smoker box attached cause I am a big fan of the smoke flavor. But like you said Morgan, I could also get the smoke tube to help that as well.

This is gonna be fun. I love grilling but want to take it to the next level.

Lots of great info, thanks for the input. I’m thinking I like the idea of the pellet grill that comes with the smoker box attached cause I am a big fan of the smoke flavor. But like you said Morgan, I could also get the smoke tube to help that as well.

Start out without the smoke tube and as is. Experiment with some woods, you might surprise yourself with different rubs and sauces. Its been a really fun journey and this thread is a great place to discuss.

Glad I could help. I have done a ton of research and tried a lot of products recently, so if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. I love talking about this stuff!

I did this and love it. I have the Camp Chef that was specifically built for Dicks Sporting Goods. It was on sell for $400 and I took the leap. I love it and have not used my propane grill since I got it. The temps seem to stay pretty constant and this winter I’m looking at getting the blanket for it. This one also has where you can move the grate to allow a flame from the box, but I didn’t have great luck with it. I cook everything from hot dogs to brisket on it and it’s all turned out great.

Smells better than it looks I think...
9f966bb4d7462a699ac7989ecd8f71c7.jpg

BBQ & Smoking Food Thread

BBQ & Smoking Food Thread

835dca7f730aaa0189a6645baf49cc8d.jpg

My setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nice. What model pellet smoker?

Nice. What model pellet smoker?

Traeger Select Elite, double walled and “grill” style instead of barrel. Zero issues, love it!

Thats awesome man, glad you enjoy it.
We like our Traeger. We like our Grilla too.
Heck we also like our Kamado, pizza oven and griddle. I guess i just like outdoor grill toys haha.

Thats awesome man, glad you enjoy it.
We like our Traeger. We like our Grilla too.
Heck we also like our Kamado, pizza oven and griddle. I guess i just like outdoor grill toys haha.

Yes! Who needs an oven these days! Fire up the pellet grill, crack a beer and take care of dinner!

Yes! Who needs an oven these days! Fire up the pellet grill, crack a beer and take care of dinner!

I kid you not, we used outdoor cooking for about 9 days in a row until tonight where we had a big lunch out and never ate dinner. This weekend we will be doing BBQ though.

That sounds good.

Planniing om smoking 2 different ribs tomorrow. One being baby backs the other beef ribs. No problem with the BB, grilled beef ribs before but this is the first effort with smoking beef ribs.

Planniing om smoking 2 different ribs tomorrow. One being baby backs the other beef ribs. No problem with the BB, grilled beef ribs before but this is the first effort with smoking beef ribs.

Good luck and don’t forget to take pictures. I’ve never been a bi beef rib fan, but I’ve been watching a lot of BBQ Pitmasters lately and the way they were smoking them they said hey tasted like brisket on a bone and I can definitely get down with that.

Seat marks on a pellet grill. Thanks Grill Grates.

28b19a1144b6b9eb573f744efdb4572a.jpg

Back