Beauty over results?

Den60

Reaction score
Handicap
13.6 USGA
Was talking to my friend ysterday after hitting a thin shot that found its way onto the green and left me with a decent putt. I started thinking, would I like to hit beautiful shot that doesn't quite end up where I had hoped or a crummy shot that finds a way to get close. I really think I would prefer the former. How about y'all?

Scorecard doesnt have eyes.

I dont care how the ball gets there, let me get good scores.

Give me a beautiful shot and I'll work on my alignment. Crummy shots means I'm not swinging it well...

If I don't like my swing or the feedback I get, I'm usually not all that happy with the shot even if it results in a great birdie opportunity.

I play golf to execute, and while I enjoy a bit of luck here and there, it's not what i look for.

Someone much smarter than me said "there is no room for explanation on the scorecard" and it says it all. The score is all that matters, I will take it however I can get it.

I would prefer to play beautiful golf and score well, but at the end of the day I would rather finish with a good score than be the guy who hears "but you hit a lot of great shots today..."

Was talking to my friend ysterday after hitting a thin shot that found its way onto the green and left me with a decent putt. I started thinking, would I like to hit beautiful shot that doesn't quite end up where I had hoped or a crummy shot that finds a way to get close. I really think I would prefer the former. How about y'all?

If I could skull, chunk, slice, hook my way to a 65 everyday...I'll take it!!

Give me a beautiful shot and I'll work on my alignment. Crummy shots means I'm not swinging it well...

Exactly the way I feel.

Give me a beautiful well struck shot. Although I may like the results of the bad shot all I will think about is how bad the swing was.

If I don't like my swing or the feedback I get, I'm usually not all that happy with the shot even if it results in a great birdie opportunity.

I play golf to execute, and while I enjoy a bit of luck here and there, it's not what i look for.

I like this response. Ditto

At this point... I'm not picky. I bladed a 5 iron last week that ran almost all of the 185 yards and finished 9 feet above the hole. I happily wrote down my par.

I have no shame when it comes to this game.

Sent From My Samsung Note 4 Using Tapatalk

I would take the latter every time.

Thin to Win.

#NotABadShot

They don't ask how, they just ask how many

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scorecard doesnt have eyes.

I dont care how the ball gets there, let me get good scores.
Yep, we always say there are no pictures on the scorecards, only a number in the end!

I have way to much pride in my swing, which has probably been a bit of a demise to finding lower scores. But a thinned shot that gets a bounce or a roll is luck. Having solid swing fundementals eventually will pan out. For me as long as I don't get in the way anyhow.

As long as most of my beautiful shots do end up where I want them, then I'll take the beauty. A shot with a beautiful trajectory that never goes where I think I'm aiming would just be frustrating.

Thin to win.

The bottom groove is my favorite groove.

With the state of my current swing, I'll take the result over the beauty. I feel like it all evens out for me over time anyway.

And then there was a shot out of a gully I hit yesterday. Grabbed my "4I" as I was about 185 yards out. When I hit the ball I told my playing partner I can't hit it any better than that. Got out of the gully and noted I was 25-30 or so yards short of the green. As I started to put my club back in the bag I noticed it had a "7" on it. Maybe I should ask Callaway if they have the option to go with Braille marked clubs?

i prefer a beautiful shot, well struck shot every time. we call the other "sbg" sh1tty but good. one of my stupid golf fears is skanking a tee shot on a par 3 for a hole in one. it's still a hole in one, but i would kinda feel like it doesn't count.

Beauty over Results? I was SURE this was going to be an equipment thread!

What I will say is my bad shots that have turned out well have taught me that there's more than one way to play a shot. I don't always have to land a shot near at the spot where I want to end up. So I'll take the errant shots that turn out well. But I really want to put a good swing on the ball, make solid contact, and have the ball go in the direction I intend. So a bunch of errant shots that turn out well isn't really what I'm after.

i prefer a beautiful shot, well struck shot every time. we call the other "sbg" sh1tty but good. one of my stupid golf fears is skanking a tee shot on a par 3 for a hole in one. it's still a hole in one, but i would kinda feel like it doesn't count.

For me a bad shot no matter how good it ends up is a blow to my confidence. Consistency is what I am trying to achieve. If I am consistently making good contact but my alignment is off that is fixable. Expecting a poorly shot ball to "get lucky" isn't what I'm looking for out of me.

I will take the shot I executed well that ended up short ... I want to learn to hit it good ... I have mastered the thin/fat shot ...

Sometimes I hit pretty shots close and miss the birdie putts and walk away grumbling. However, my only eagle last year was a perfect drive on a shortish par 5 that left me with a mishit almost bladed 4 iron to the green. It kinda faded, bounced, rolled, begged, pleaded and ended up about 8' away. I rolled it in for the eagle and talked sh!t for the next 3 or 4 holes.

I guess my point is...I try to hit every shot well, but, I don't play for a living and if it bounces off a tree or cart path and ends up better than I deserve, who cares? It's about time...lol

Beauty over results?

Exactly. I'm new enough that my scores are going to be high no matter what. Some of my playing partners tell me things like, "There aren't any pictures on the scorecard" and, "It's not how, it's how many" when a poorly struck shot finds a lucky spot to land. I always tell them that at this point I'm more concerned with the process than the result.

With that said, I also can't find much enjoyment out of a well struck shot that lands somewhere nasty. A beautifully struck 5 iron that lands in a free side bunker, or a drive that goes longer than I thought possible and gets wet still get under my skin.

Back