Ben Hogan Edge Irons

So what was the distance gap on mis-hits? I'd think that would be a better judge/comparison, to be honest.

I would say the Hogan went 10 yards shorter on lesser strikes. I would say all in all the G30 was +/- 10 yards on good strikes, and the Hogan +/- 5 yards.

Hogan Edhe Irons

Hogan Edhe Irons

For those that are interested, the Edge irons are available now for demo. I just picked up mine a little while ago. Looking forward to hitting them.

Thanks to the heads up from buckeyewalt, I just ordered the Edge demo irons with Recoils. Looking forward to giving them a go.

Thanks to the heads up from buckeyewalt, I just ordered the Edge demo irons with Recoils. Looking forward to giving them a go.

As I did also. My wedge came in today with the Smac Wrap black shaft, I wonder if the Edge irons will have the same??

As I did also. My wedge came in today with the Smac Wrap black shaft, I wonder if the Edge irons will have the same??
My demo irons are scheduled to be delivered by end of day Tuesday. Hope they come in early enough to hit the range that afternoon.

Would be interesting for those who have an old Edge set to compare.

Ben Hogan Edge Irons

My demo clubs came in today! But its raining. :banghead:
38592fcff44505f0f9a6eddc006711ce.jpg

I was worried about the integrity of the irons based on the condition of the box because it was smashed up pretty bad. Luckily, the irons weren't damaged.
22673cc7dc08601b11e069ce67c4ae6b.jpg

They came with the Recoil ES SMACWRAP 780 shafts & the stock Ben Hogan midsize grip which I really like.

First impressions are much better in person. I would have zero problems playing these irons based on looks & size. In fact, the shape & size are very close to my CF16s.
0394d7b1407b71f245cd42a47e89a815.jpg

0097ceaf1cbe59ee7552cf8eb939bfc5.jpg

8c2531fee59d4790d2747eeb37ab14d1.jpg

Hope to get to hit them this afternoon. If not today, then for sure tomorrow.

That's a much smaller profile head than I was expecting.

Went out in the yard & hit some foam balls in the light rain. They look even better with natural lighting.

c69115f42420f0930d6989902e94bce1.jpg

8446c009d42b4fa7272e837f73d65577.jpg

I have to admit they look much better in your pictures than what I originally thought. I'm really surprised by the size, I was expecting some massive iron. I'm looking forward to your thoughts!

Love the ferrules hogan puts on their irons. Really adds a sharp look.

Those do look even better than on website. Looking forward to some updates on how they feel - especially with the lofts I am curious about the distance.

Was out of town playing when these came in. I too was very much surprised by the profile. Plan on taking these out for a quick run tomorrow but first impressions are extremely positive. Chipped a few with the 9i and it had a nice muted click typical of a forged iron. The set-up, grip and the shaft are all very pleasing to the eye. Even the 6i when set-up has the "just swing and it will fly" type look. The 9i and 6i have a 42* and 30* loft respectively. I'm anxious to see what kind of distances I will be able to produce with those kind of lofts. The original pictures I saw of the Edge medallion in some ways looked cheap, in person though they have the look and feel of a milled cavity. All in all very impressive.

Ben Hogan Edge Irons

After the rain stopped, I couldn't resist taking the 9i out to the back yard & hitting about 10 balls from my shag bag. I was extremely pleased with the accuracy & distance.

My target was about 130 yards away (based on distance measured on Google maps satellite image) & I hit it with all but one ball that I made a really bad swing on. My 9i distance with the CF16 is 125 - 130, so I was really happy to see the Hogan carry that far even though it's 2 degrees weaker in loft.

My target was the blue dot & I was hitting from the red dot on the screen shot below.

0a3ab0858543aa8667faaa9e635f8b8f.jpg

@shakey - what’s the feel like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@shakey - what’s the feel like?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't really focus on that aspect, but from what I recall it was just a good solid feel. If I didn't know they were hollow body irons, I wouldn't have guessed it.

I'll spend more time with this question in mind tomorrow at the range & hopefully on the course.

Well you answered part of my question in relation to the distance with weaker lofts.

Got to hit them on the range yesterday. The sound/feel was very close to my CF16s, accuracy was better, but on full flushed shots, they were 2-3 yards shorter than the Callaways. I feel like there was a slight right to left bias with the ball flight as well.

I had a chance to play the demo's today everywhere I had a 6i or a 9i shot. The few things that I took away is that the v-sole is definitely legit and the feel on center hits was outstanding and on off center hits they felt like cast clubs, but I still got reasonable distance out of them. The problem for me was distance, almost a full club short when compared to my CF16's. I have these for 14 days to test and I will take advantage of that.

I had a chance to play the demo's today everywhere I had a 6i or a 9i shot. The few things that I took away is that the v-sole is definitely legit and the feel on center hits was outstanding and on off center hits they felt like cast clubs, but I still got reasonable distance out of them. The problem for me was distance, almost a full club short when compared to my CF16's. I have these for 14 days to test and I will take advantage of that.

Out of curiosity how close are the lofts between the two? I haven't checked out what the setup looks like with the Edge irons.

Out of curiosity how close are the lofts between the two? I haven't checked out what the setup looks like with the Edge irons.

I think that there is 3* difference between the 6 irons and 2* difference between the 9 irons with the CF16's being stronger. My CF16's are 27 and 40 respectively.

The thing that I was most impressed with was the off-center hits. Normally with a forged iron anything off-center usually rattles your hands, no so with the Edge. It feels like a cast club on toe and thin hits. The club sets up great, the feel is great. just going to have to work on the distances. Could be my swing today, who knows, but I really do like the club and feel.

Good initial feedback Buckeye, they're, imo, really good looking and it's good to hear performance is solid. Not all that shocked on the distance gap as the CF16 are still one of the longest sets out there.

Back