Best Public Course In Your State

On a public course only in VA I have to go with Royal New Kent and Golden Horseshoe. Resort side there are tons but the Homestead and Bay Creek are great.

We don't have a ton of unique options in South Dakota but I would say The Golf Club at Red Rock and Southern Hills. They have some beautiful scenery but unfortunately for me, are on the other side of the state.

There are quite a few that are in the conversation for this in MA.

I would have to say Pinehills Golf Club in Plymouth, MA. (The International in Bolton could possibly beat it, but it went private again this year)

(one course that would possibly top that would be Taconic in Williamstown, which I will be playing in 2016)

I definitely agree with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of options here in South Carolina. I really enjoy Cheraw State Park. Was looking at the Golf.Com 2014 listing and the only two I've played are Kings North in Myrtle Beach, and the CC of SC here in Florence. Should make a point to play a few more on the list this year (particularly True Blue and Caledonia).

Best I've played so far is the Dormie Club, it's simply incredible
Yeah, can't wait to make this happen on the 3rd!

I may have to agree as far as just golf course and not history I enjoy it more than #2. I have seen some reviews online that say conditions have been suspect at times but every time I have played it has been well maintained

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Too many to choose from in Florida. But I'd say TPC sawgrass and Innisbrooke would be the top imo.

Maryland. Most of the lists will say Bulle Rock.

Ask most players and youll most likely hear two different answers.

Whiskey Creek (already mentioned twice)
Rum Pointe. I think many on THP can comment on it as well.

Really liked Rum Pointe a lot. Didn't get a chance to play Lighthouse.

Glad there is a lot of love for Bulle Rock, looks like the In-Laws got me a round there as my Christmas present (at least I'm assuming so based on the Bulle Rock envelope under the XMas tree)

Come on down January 3rd :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Hmmmmh...don't think I can make that work. But boy I'd sure love to.

Glad there is a lot of love for Bulle Rock, looks like the In-Laws got me a round there as my Christmas present (at least I'm assuming so based on the Bulle Rock envelope under the XMas tree)
does this mean another OITW sighting in Maryland in 2016? That's always a welcome site.

Hmmmmh...don't think I can make that work. But boy I'd sure love to.

does this mean another OITW sighting in Maryland in 2016? That's always a welcome site.

I will def be in the MD in 2016, when is anyone's guess though.

This list looks pretty good to me for New York. Only 3 on the list I've played though are Shenendoah (Turning Stone), Ravenwood and Seneca Hickory Stick.

1. Bethpage (Black), Farmingdale
2. Atunyote at Turning Stone, Verona
3. Pound Ridge, Pound Ridge
4. Shenendoah at Turning Stone, Verona
5. Leatherstocking, Cooperstown
6. Ravenwood, Victor
7. Kaluhyat at Turning Stone, Verona
8. Links at Hiawatha Landing, Apalachin
9. Saratoga National, Saratoga Springs
10. Montauk Downs, Montauk
11. The Sagamore, Bolton Landing
12. Seneca Hickory Stick, Lewiston
13. Conklin Players Club, Conklin
14. Seven Oaks at Colgate, Hamilton
15. Bethpage (Red), Farmingdale
16. Long Island National, Riverhead
17. Greystone, Walworth
18. Tallgrass, Shoreham
19. Mansion Ridge, Mansion Ridge, Monroe
20. Grossinger, Liberty
Whoa…looking at this list, I've played 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12, and 13.

Of those, I have no argument with the top 3, but then it all gets jumbled from there. I'd rank them this way:

1. Bethpage - just a perfect golf course from a challenge standpoint.
2. Atonyote - The second nicest golf course condition wise I've ever played.
3. Shenandoah - Equally pretty and challenging.
4. Conklin - Immaculate, a combination of target and grip-n-rip golf and CHEAP to play.
5. Ravenwood - reminds me a lot from the design and condition of the two turning stone courses not named Atonyote.
6. Kalyhut - HARDER, and not as pretty as Shenandoah.
7. Seneca Hickory Stick - just a solid golf course and another fairly priced one.
8. Saratoga National - amenities galore, but a bit overrated from a course design, condition, and price standpoint.
9. Links at Hiawatha - simply put, not what it used to be.
10. Leatherstocking - just a boring rolling hills not in the greatest of condition golf course overlooking a lake. And it's overpriced. (I only played it once on a 40° day this fall, so I might be a little harsh here).

This the 2014 list for Texas from Golf magazine:

1. Omni Barton Creek (Fazio Canyons), Austin
2. Pine Dunes, Frankston
3. Omni Barton Creek (Fazio Foothills), Austin
4. The Rawls at Texas Tech, Lubbock
5. Old American, The Colony
6. La Cantera (Palmer), San Antonio
7. TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks), San Antonio
8. Butterfield Trail, El Paso
9. The Tribute, The Colony
10. Cowboys, Grapevine
11. TPC Four Seasons Las Colinas, Irving
12. Wolfdancer, Lost Pines
13. Golf Club of Houston (Tournament), Humble
14. Black Jack's Crossing, Lajitas
15. Max A. Mandel Municipal, Laredo
16. Texas Star, Euless
17. Brackenridge Park, San Antonio
18. TPC San Antonio (AT&T Canyons), San Antonio
19. Horseshoe Bay (Ramrock), Horseshoe Bay
20. The Quarry, San Antonio

I've only played Cowboys and thanks to THP. I will get around to playing Golf Club of Houston, but all the locals that have played it say it's in bad condition most of the year and then in really awesome condition about 60 days before and after the Shell Houston Open.

I also have wanted to play Pine Dunes, La Cantera, TPC San Antonio, and Horseshoe Bay for some time. I guess I need to add Omni Barton Creek now.

Whoa…looking at this list, I've played 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12, and 13.

Impressive...I need to travel a little more to play some on that list.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

2. Pine Dunes, Frankston
10. Cowboys, Grapevine
16. Texas Star, Euless

I've only played Cowboys and thanks to THP. I will get around to playing Golf Club of Houston, but all the locals that have played it say it's in bad condition most of the year and then in really awesome condition about 60 days before and after the Shell Houston Open.

I also have wanted to play Pine Dunes, La Cantera, TPC San Antonio, and Horseshoe Bay for some time. I guess I need to add Omni Barton Creek now.
Man that's a great list but Ram Rock would be number 3 with Barton creek taking the 1 & 2.

I will def be in the MD in 2016, when is anyone's guess though.

looking forward to this trip and if it's bulle rock I can be down with that

looking forward to this trip and if it's bulle rock I can be down with that
Yep joining OITW there might be the only thing to get me back there next year.

Alex that's not to say there is anything horrible about the course. We had an outing there in the summer and it was "ok" but the cost of greens fees should give you a much more than OK experiemce. But I'd gladly join you for a round.

That's a tough one for Georgia.

Including resorts really changes the game. I'd probably say Sea Island.
I'm not even going to see what others might have offered for Georgia, because this one wins.
The course(s) might not be the best (if they aren't they are within .00003% of being so) but the grounds, the location, the staff, the amenities, everything about the place is 100% top notch.

2. Pine Dunes, Frankston
10. Cowboys, Grapevine
16. Texas Star, Euless

How many of these can I play if I come to Abilene for a month later this year, possibly early '17?

How many of these can I play if I come to Abilene for a month later this year, possibly early '17?

Depends on how far you want to drive. Your best bet is the ones in the Dallas area - The Colony, Grapevine, Irving, and Euless. All around a 3-3.5 hr drive from Abilene.

Your next best bet is the Austin area at 3-4 hours away depending on the course - Lost Pines, Omni/Austin, and Horseshoe Bay.

San Antonio is going to be a 4+ Hour drive but at least there are 5 courses there.

Hmm... In Virginia..

Id have to go with Spring Creek.

The K-Town crew is going to have to make this trip across the line in the spring and see what all the fuss is about .

Baywood greens hands down.

Delaware doesn't offer much in terms of public golf but the beach area is awesome

For RI I would say Newport National or Montaup as the top courses the public could play

Hmm... In Virginia..

Id have to go with Spring Creek.

I don't know many courses in the state outside of Nova and a couple popular and Ive only played one of these but Royal New Kent, Kingsmill and Raspberry Falls come to mind.

Michigan- I know that Forest Dunes has been getting all the reviews recently and it is a great track, but for the money I would still take Arcadia Bluffs over it hands down. I've heard Harbor Shores is excellent as well.

Michigan- I know that Forest Dunes has been getting all the reviews recently and it is a great track, but for the money I would still take Arcadia Bluffs over it hands down. I've heard Harbor Shores is excellent as well.
Agreed here. And I too have heard good things about Harbor, but the price keeps me away from what I've also heard.

Back