Best Public Course In Your State

I was being all inclusive - the resort.
What is your favorite of the courses?
A friend of mine went last year and he said old McDonald was did favorite by just a mall margian

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Going to have to say Arcadia Bluffs, hands down thanks to the views. Can't wait to find out how the Loop is both ways and see if it competes.

What is your favorite of the courses?
A friend of mine went last year and he said old McDonald was did favorite by just a mall margian

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Tough call as they are all very good and very different from each other. Yeah, I'd probably pick Bandon.

I will assume mine is Whistling Straits. We'll see how Erin Hills stacks up in 2017.

The harvester or TCI

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Of the courses I've played I'd say Valley View or Soldier Hollow. Some of the southern courses are super nice like Entrada but I think they're back to private. They seem to flip flop every 5-7 years

Being a little biased (since I work there), I would have to say Ballyowen in the Crystal Springs resort courses.

This list looks pretty good to me for New York. Only 3 on the list I've played though are Shenendoah (Turning Stone), Ravenwood and Seneca Hickory Stick.

1. Bethpage (Black), Farmingdale
2. Atunyote at Turning Stone, Verona
3. Pound Ridge, Pound Ridge
4. Shenendoah at Turning Stone, Verona
5. Leatherstocking, Cooperstown
6. Ravenwood, Victor
7. Kaluhyat at Turning Stone, Verona
8. Links at Hiawatha Landing, Apalachin
9. Saratoga National, Saratoga Springs
10. Montauk Downs, Montauk
11. The Sagamore, Bolton Landing
12. Seneca Hickory Stick, Lewiston
13. Conklin Players Club, Conklin
14. Seven Oaks at Colgate, Hamilton
15. Bethpage (Red), Farmingdale
16. Long Island National, Riverhead
17. Greystone, Walworth
18. Tallgrass, Shoreham
19. Mansion Ridge, Mansion Ridge, Monroe
20. Grossinger, Liberty

Last edited:
Not really close in Iowa - it's Harvester by a long shot.

Someone asked me this the other day based on the states I have lived and thought it would be a good discussion for THPers. What is the best course in your state. Now it must be either public or resort to qualify, since the ability for others to play it should be considered.
Peeble Beach. Of course.

Enough said.

Oh wait a minute.

Torrey Pines

Oh wait Trump Nat.....

Never mind

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

This is why THP hosts events all over the country. So many amazing courses out there and we are so glad a few we have been to made this list already.

Let's see, course is singular right? Always tough to pick just one and I feel like Colorado has 3 distinct golfing zones but ...

The best public course I've played in Colorado is Redlands Mesa GC

Agree with Cookie on this one, Barton Creek is amazing!

Whiskey creek in Maryland.

Whiskey creek in Maryland.

iirc it was ranked #2 for 2014 behind bulle rock. Not sure about 2015 but that was my choice too

WeKoPa Saguaro and Troon North Pinnacle are usually the top 2, they switch in the "ratings" on a pretty regular basis.
I have played both (TN a lot more, tho), it is a tough call.

There are quite a few that are in the conversation for this in MA.

I would have to say Pinehills Golf Club in Plymouth, MA. (The International in Bolton could possibly beat it, but it went private again this year)

(one course that would possibly top that would be Taconic in Williamstown, which I will be playing in 2016)

Everyone playing in the Gauntlet in 2016 will see the best public course in Arizona.

I'm going to have to go with Banff Springs. That will probably change when Kananskis is able to rebuild and open again. Mind you its in the Province of Alberta and not a state. Haha

Maryland. Most of the lists will say Bulle Rock.

Ask most players and youll most likely hear two different answers.

Whiskey Creek (already mentioned twice)
Rum Pointe. I think many on THP can comment on it as well.

Maryland. Most of the lists will say Bulle Rock.

Ask most players and youll most likely hear two different answers.

Whiskey Creek (already mentioned twice)
Rum Pointe. I think many on THP can comment on it as well.

Lighthouse sound is pretty high on the list too imo

Best I've played so far is the Dormie Club, it's simply incredible

Of the courses I've played I'd say Valley View or Soldier Hollow. Some of the southern courses are super nice like Entrada but I think they're back to private. They seem to flip flop every 5-7 years

Valley View is amazing. I can't wait to get back to Utah to play it.

Lighthouse sound is pretty high on the list too imo
Yes it defintily is.

Best I've played so far is the Dormie Club, it's simply incredible

I really would like to make this happen on my next trip to NC, whenever that may be. I passed on it last time and haven't forgiven myself yet.

Back