Best way to cut a graphite shaft

How do you keep the cut straight with a dremmel?

How do you keep the cut straight with a dremmel?
It’s not difficult at all. Can place it in a vice, or simply hold it in and and get an even cut. It’s not a chainsaw and it’s not a race.

I use a model similar to this one for my graphite shaft cutting : https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-55-amp-cut-off-saw-61204.html . Years ago when I learned club repair I used a hack saw to cut as that was all I had. With graphite its easy to tweak the tip since you have to prep it for a ferrule so if you were to cut by hand and not get a straight cut you can still "sand" through tip prepping to even things out (not ideal but easy to do if you had to). The chop saw just improves accuracy of solid cut both for tip and butt/grip end of shafts.

It’s not difficult at all. Can place it in a vice, or simply hold it in and and get an even cut. It’s not a chainsaw and it’s not a race.
I've just used dremmels in the past and they can slip. I'd think anyone doing any amount of this would invest in a chop saw.
At least with a grit blade there is a straight edge to guard against uneven cuts? Dremmel seems a bit unpredictable for golf cuts by hand with a $300 shaft, no?

I've just used dremmels in the past and they can slip. I'd think anyone doing any amount of this would invest in a chop saw.
At least with a grit blade there is a straight edge to guard against uneven cuts? Dremmel seems a bit unpredictable for golf cuts by hand with a $300 shaft, no?
I never had one slip over about 8 years of using it as my cutting source, steel or graphite. It’s only unpredictable if you rush and make it unpredictable.

I used a dremmel for a while but destroyed the cutting tip I had, and also hate the dust.
Most common tool for me is a hacksaw, nothing fancy.

For those worried about an even cut, just do two wraps of tape around the mark line. Even with a dremmel you'll be able to control it easily. If you don't feel like that, just measure on all four sides and create a 'starter' mark on each side before running it all the way down.

I used a dremmel for a while but destroyed the cutting tip I had, and also hate the dust.
Most common tool for me is a hacksaw, nothing fancy.

For those worried about an even cut, just do two wraps of tape around the mark line. Even with a dremmel you'll be able to control it easily. If you don't feel like that, just measure on all four sides and create a 'starter' mark on each side before running it all the way down.
Cutoff discs wear out Dan :ROFLMAO:

I like this idea. I have a dremel so will just haveto get a cut wheel.
This is very doable. It's the difference between "best", "suitable", and "cheapest appropriate method".

The best would probably be a chop saw mounted to a bench with a built in vacuum to collect the dust created by the cut. A grit edge blade for a hacksaw would likely be the cheapest appropriate method. Somewhere in between those is where I'd guess most of us are.

I never had one slip over about 8 years of using it as my cutting source, steel or graphite. It’s only unpredictable if you rush and make it unpredictable.

Yep, take your time and you should be fine. Practice on an old junker shaft first if you're concerned about getting it right on the first try.

I use my fine tooth blade in my band saw and rotate the shaft as it cuts.

Never done it but I'd be tempted to use a miter saw with a fine tooth blade.

There is really only one choice

Attachments

• 94863683-AB4F-417B-A508-0DF2C417D4E9.jpeg
    94863683-AB4F-417B-A508-0DF2C417D4E9.jpeg
    16.9 KB · Views: 6
low volume? Take your shaft(s) into a fitter or even big store that has a real cutter. They might not even charge you.

Harbor Freight Drill Master makes a little 6" chop saw. For low volume, it's a neat little tool. It's also affordable. Saw is cheap, but I'd opt for a decent diamond wheel, so you don't splinter it and take one to the cheek.

I can tell you how not to cut a graphite shaft to length: over your knee. Not the recommended way to take that driver shaft down to a kids putter length. Graphite shards are a pain. Do not recommend. 1 star.

Back