Best way to cut a graphite shaft

Templet0n

washed...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
snow..
I am curious how you experience builders cut your graphite shafts. Or should I just ask @golfunfiltered :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I use this.

SCM-FTF-01.jpg

Whatever you use, wrap some painters or masking tape around it to keep it from splintering. There's a bunch of dedicated bench tools that you can get, but I don't cut down that many. I've used everything from a PVC hacksaw (take your time and rotate the shaft so you don't get splinters) to the dremel cutoff wheel that I've used on the last few. If you're using any power tools, even a dremel, make sure you wear goggles and preferably a mask. Last thing you need is graphite particles in your eyes or throat.

EDIT: I also keep a sanding block with some coarse sandpaper to even out anything that isn't perfectly straight and generally just clean up the cuts. Works for me but as always YMMV.

I wrap the area of the cut with tape, then just use a hacksaw.

I tape it with masking tape and use a thin 1/16” cut off wheel on a die grinder. It cuts cleanly through steel or graphite and is super fast. I’m guessing you could get 1000+ shaft cuts from one wheel. If you don’t have a compressor you can pick up an electric die grinder at Harbor Freight for about $20.

09F08E32-E27A-4655-A70F-EDDE92636AE5.jpeg

Last edited:
Wrap area to be cut with masking tape. I use a hacksaw with a blade designed to cut graphite that I bought from Golf Works. Have also used a Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel.

I use a fine tooth hobby saw, works great. I smooth the edges with a sanding block, or on my belt sander.

Whatever you use, wrap some painters or masking tape around it to keep it from splintering. There's a bunch of dedicated bench tools that you can get, but I don't cut down that many. I've used everything from a PVC hacksaw (take your time and rotate the shaft so you don't get splinters) to the dremel cutoff wheel that I've used on the last few. If you're using any power tools, even a dremel, make sure you wear goggles and preferably a mask. Last thing you need is graphite particles in your eyes or throat.

EDIT: I also keep a sanding block with some coarse sandpaper to even out anything that isn't perfectly straight and generally just clean up the cuts. Works for me but as always YMMV.
Dremel cut off, tape on shaft

Tape off and cut with a dremel flywheel. Measure twice, cut once.

I precision snap mine in the door frame. Pinch it right above a hinge works best.

Honestly though, just a cut-off wheel on slower speed. They make a bit of dust so I wear a respirator mask.

06E1168E-6461-4DD6-81E3-85AE9148C06A.jpeg
Setup above is what I use. Like mentioned before use tape to avoid splinters as well as keep the blade from being pinched the last 1/8 of the shaft to avoid it catching itself. The PVC is tied into a shop vac with a HEPA filter and bag to collect all the dust. Graphite isn’t worth getting in the lungs.

Chop saw.

I'm the least experienced club builder in the world. As in, I'm not a club builder at all and I just cut my very first graphite shafts this past week.

Dremel and cut off wheel, taped just as others mentioned. Soooo easy.

Grit saw blade in my hack saw from Golfsmith still. Haven't used it that much. Should be good for eternity, need a new roll of masking tape, however.

Doesn’t have to be fancy. If you’re going to build a lot, sure, get a nice setup (I love mine) but for YEARS I used a dremel with a cutoff disc with ZERO issues.

I got worried for a while for myself and clubfitters everywhere when "nanotechnology" was the buzz word in graphite shafts and had a convo with my clubfitter before I even asked him to prep one of those for me. The new asbestos is the word as far as lung issues. Be careful out there. (y)

Doesn’t have to be fancy. If you’re going to build a lot, sure, get a nice setup (I love mine) but for YEARS I used a dremel with a cutoff disc with ZERO issues.

I like this idea. I have a dremel so will just haveto get a cut wheel.

Back