Bitter cold Temps in Texas

Electric Reliability Council of Texas

Might need to be renamed.

Well, he committed suicide a few yrs ago, so he is not responsible. Brilliant guy, good baller (round ball), but eventually troubled. This is human error - frozen gauges, system going offline, they were not prepared.

Starting to get political here ... both traditional sources and green sources failed ... read my lips, it was human error.
I wasn’t getting political with anything and didn’t think anyone was. Just talking it through. I think it highlights the importance of having multiple sources of energy and not trying to rely on just one or two.

I wasn’t getting political with anything and didn’t think anyone was. Just talking it through. I think it highlights the importance of having multiple sources of energy and not trying to rely on just one or two.

I agree on having several sources of energy - we are set up for hot summers, mild winters, not Snowmegadon.

80% of Texas is traditional energy, 20% is green. ERCOT said the wind turbines were the least of their issues and only "some" turbines were affected. They actually outperformed expectations. But frozen gauges and instrument sent traditional energy sources offline as well as shortage of some energy... I don't agree with Abbott on many issues, so I will :censored:

I agree on having several sources of energy - we are set up for hot summers, mild winters, not Snowmegadon.

80% of Texas is traditional energy, 20% is green. ERCOT said the wind turbines were the least of their issues and only "some" turbines were affected. They actually outperformed expectations. But frozen gauges and instrument sent traditional energy sources offline as well as shortage of some energy... I don't agree with Abbott on many issues, so I will :censored:
I’ve heard from people out in west Texas that the windmills are only producing about 5-10% of normal output at most. About 25% of Texas power comes from those. Factor that in with LNG plants being down and it creates a massive shortage.

I’ve heard from people out in west Texas that the windmills are only producing about 5-10% of normal output at most. About 25% of Texas power comes from those. Factor that in with LNG plants being down and it creates a massive shortage.

I can only go by what ERCOT says. But yes, it's a massive shortage that could have been prevented with more thought.

And in my neighborhood, I wake up to boys out behind my house, it's a canal, hollering and jumping on the ice. I look out about the time one goes through. Did not remember being able to dress that fast in the dark. No power....by the time I jump the fence he's out and they are jumping over further down. Locked gates for a reason.

We do suck with cold.
but this is a bit different, a once in a generation cold spell is going to kill quite a few people. I don't think a scarf is the answer.
True, but Texas's main problem at the moment is a power grid that's not prepared for anything out of the ordinary.
It's all based on sort-term thinking and lowest-price-right-now.
I spent a few years in Texas and found that figuring out the "best" electricity company/plan was darn near impossible. You sort of had to stick a pin in a print up of the available plans and pray. It's also isolated itself from the power grid in the rest of the country so at a time like this it can't draw on excess power produced in warmer states.
Because, well, Texas.
Compare that to the system in a state like Nebraska. It's publicly owned, well run, and provides power at some of the lowest costs in the US.

We’ll have it figured out by next years winter blast I’m sure.

View attachment 8993811
FAKE NEWS!
That photo is from a few years ago IN SWEDEN.
The reason for Texas's lack of power has nothing to do with green energy production, just the failures in thos old fashioned natural gas/nuclear/etc. methods.

I saw one of this that said a helicopter power by fossil fuel sprays a chemical made from fossil fuel onto a wind turbine made using fossil fuel.
That photo was taken a few years ago in Sweden.

Governor gonna have some ‘splaining to do in the coming weeks.
Texas is confused.

"Texas GOP chairman suggests secession in response to Supreme Court election lawsuit decision"

- KTRK-TV, 12/14/2020

"Gov. Greg Abbott on Saturday said he was asking for a federal emergency declaration from the Biden administration as the state faces some of the worst winter weather in years. The declaration will open the door to more federal resources and assistance for Texas and local governments affected by the deep freeze."

- Austin American-Statesman, 2/13/2021

OTOH, if all the golfers in Texas got together with their 50 degree and higher wedges that might warm things up a little.

Windmill failure in Texas is due to the same thing that natural gas line failure is due to in Texas. They didn't set the system up for winter. They get 1/2 their power in Iowa from windmills and they aren't struggling and it stays below freezing every year in Iowa. Not to mention most of Nordic Europe uses wind power and they are further north than Maine.

Texas problem right now is that they refused to link into the national grid due to wanting to be energy independent and also a refusal to meet the federal regulations on being connected to the national grid. This is simply the cost of doing things on the cheap. Sometimes it doesn't work when times get tough. In effect you get what you pay for. That's it. Now Texans will have to decide if they want to pay more and upgrade to a winter capable system or just deal with this every time they have a bad winter.

My Niece in the Ft Worth area, told me about another associated problem with this extended cold snap.

Power in some areas has been off for several hours.
People are going to warming centers for extended stays. When they get back to their homes they find that their water pipes have burst inside their walls.

People going on 48-72 hrs w/o power....maybe a bit early to “joke around”.

Sorry, Nate.

I found out it is good to live within a mile of a hospital and senior home. That will be a consideration if I move from where I am.

Well, he committed suicide a few yrs ago, so he is not responsible. Brilliant guy, good baller (round ball), but eventually troubled. This is human error - frozen gauges, system going offline, they were not prepared.

Hard to prepare for some things like this.. If an asteroid hits a city, some fool would say something like "we were not prepared"...

Texas is confused.

"Texas GOP chairman suggests secession in response to Supreme Court election lawsuit decision"

- KTRK-TV, 12/14/2020

"Gov. Greg Abbott on Saturday said he was asking for a federal emergency declaration from the Biden administration as the state faces some of the worst winter weather in years. The declaration will open the door to more federal resources and assistance for Texas and local governments affected by the deep freeze."

- Austin American-Statesman, 2/13/2021

There is NO reason politics need to be brought into this.
We are a political free forum and those that cannot abide by that simple rule will be asked to discuss it elsewhere.

Thank you.

Hard to prepare for some things like this.. If an asteroid hits a city, some fool would say something like "we were not prepared"...

No one ever expects Snowmegadon in Texas.:oops:

Sorry, Nate.

I found out it is good to live within a mile of a hospital and senior home. That will be a consideration if I move from where I am.

Actually good here now since Tuesday but I know others just a few neighborhoods over that have still been out. And now Houston, Austin & Ft Worth implementing boil water directives. So many with no power or water now.

No
Actually good here now since Tuesday but I know others just a few neighborhoods over that have still been out. And now Houston, Austin & Ft Worth implementing boil water directives. So many with no power or water now.

Not awesome.

Happy you are warm. I'm keeping mine at 68F inside to share. I have friends and relative in Frisco and McKinney with rolling blackouts - on for 15 min, off for 45 minutes. That sucks.:sick:

Yeah I heard from some of our energy traders it was a systemic issue. Yeah, wind farms went down in freezing temps, oil and gas plants also failed because operators didn’t winterize them properly with antifreeze. Nuke power plant went offline for a bit due to freezing of mechanical systems. Oil pipelines and wellheads frozen without reliable way to unfreeze.

it wasn’t one type of energy it was all of them failing at the same time. The grid can cope with one or two sources down but this was a systemic collapse. Real issue was lack of proper winterization across the system. No real oversight or governance of the platforms as well. Grade a cluster

48 hrs and no power. Mon night it was in the low 40’s inside and last night it creeped up to the upper 40’s. We have power now but who knows for how long since we are being told it’s temporary. We got the kids to a friends house last night as they had power but their power just went out so looks like we’ll have guests

Back