It's almost always because I lose focus or get lazy with my routine. Thankfully the frustration of carding a 7 or god forbid a snowman snaps my focus right back to where it should be.

Sure, Not as often as before.
But courses that are very Narrow or lots of water,
But it is usually self imposed. Due to not staying focused or being tired.

As a 25 handicapper I almost expect a blowup hole or two however I think by expecting one it does allow me to keep a clarity of thought rather than get bogged down.

I have seen a reduction in them over the last 12months with the last 3 being some of the best golf that I’ve played.

I guess my biggest issue is either a poor tee shot resulting in 3 off the tee or having to take my medicine and recover from a poor position or a poor chip around the green.

I used to have them far too frequently, and they were almost always because of trouble off the tee. I'm ever so gradually reigning in the driver and the blow up holes are becoming slightly less frequent. More often than not now it's going over the back of the green at my course which is generally a lost ball.

As I have improved, they have become less and less, but will still crop up every now and again - the usual culprit is not commiting to a shot and either putting the ball in a hazard or OB

Sometimes I can go a number of rounds with nothing worse than a bogey, then I will have a round with a few doubles

yup...laziness.

100% this......

Ill be having a great round going or start off hot... then boom. I get comfortable and lazy.

I'll have about one a round and it's usually when I loose focus

100% this......

Ill be having a great round going or start off hot... then boom. I get comfortable and lazy.

yeah, the second i think everything is dialed in and automatic

I still have at least 2 per round. Almost always after a sliced tee shot with driver.

For me it usually involves a blocked or snap-hooked tee shot that goes into the tall grass or woods and leaves a lie where there's no possibility of getting out. Even taking an unplayable doesn't really help because the recovery shot could easily ricochet back. I've had the recovery shot ricochet OB. I don't even bother anymore. If it's really deep in the woods where it's dangerous to try, I'll just announce "net DB" on the hole (that's a triple), toss the ball on the fairway, and play out the hole for practice. Why beat my head against the wall for that 13 and all that frustration? Besides - pace of play. This may happen once every other round.

I don't have a lot of blow up holes. I'm consistent in my meh scoring. But when I do, it is usually directly releated to making a poor mistake in trying to recover from a bad shot. For example, tee shot in the trees, hit tree trying to take too agreesive of a line, hit another tree because I am pissed at my poor choice and execution from previous 2 shots and didn't take my time. And so on.

When first started they could happen on just about every hole. That's where "The Usual" became my answer to Nate after most holes at my very first THP experience.

Could be a bad drive, thinned iron, chunked wedge, three putt and some times all on the same hole back then.

They don't happen often anymore, but they are always lurking.

Last edited:
Do you suffer from them frequently? What causes you to have one?

My son shakes his head laughing all the time when we play.

Pop's.......how in the hell can you go double double then then go birdie birdie as often as you do without going crazy?

Tee shot into the desert, two attempts at a hero shot, fairway bunker, greenside bunker, chip, three-putt.

See how easy it is for me? 😝

First tee shot - slice into the woods.
Second tee shot - pull hook into the woods trying to avoid repeat of the first.
Third tee shot - longest, straightest drive I'm capable of hitting. Long because it was fueled by anger, and straight because I stopped trying to steer the ***ing club.

If only there was a lesson in there somewhere...

I have a couple a round. Typically stems from topping a shot and then being so irked by the one shot my focus on the hole is gone.

it's not a blow up hole when it works. :cool:
lol, and I am well familiar with the, "I bet i could keep it under that branch with a 4 iron, and if i put it back in my stance i could hook it right back onto the green"

Then i head down to the area of the branch to take my drop where it went into the back yard pool after rattling around in the tree.....

I usually consider a blow up hole to be a double or higher. Generally doubles come for me when I hit a poor job and compound the problem and take my medicine. The other way is sloppy around the green. I missed a green the other day and tried to get too cute, had to hit a second shot around the green and two putted. It was a stupid mental mistake.

Mine are almost always when I haven’t mentally committed to an approach or tee shot on a par 3 and make poor contact or have the face way open. Missing a green by 15 yards left or right is often a penalty stroke where I normally play.

Usually happens when I forget to shirt my weight on a tee shot and block it to the right. Then because I just try to get it back in play, out myself in a weird yardage situation and forget course management, get it close to the green but it’s a between gap and sand yardage which I flub 1-1 times and then 2 putt. Lol

Back