Boccieri Heavy Driver - Forum Testing Review

I keep ho'ing out this club to everyone I know, and all replies have been positive.

That might be one of the funniest things I've ever read in these forums. :rofl:

Today I was able to iron out a few swing flaws while on the course and get used to the closed face without hooks again. Its only been one round, but I took it slow, figured my stuff out, and went from there. I was able to flight the ball through and around wind, as well as hit draws and straight balls on command with minor misses each way. After remedying my wrist issue, this thing went back to its Cannon-like self. I really have no other ways to describe it. This driver continues to outperform my SuperTri and my FT Tour. My HiBore and VR Str8fit also have never come close to this performance. I have played many drivers over the years at my time at my club, but none have left me with these yardages into greens.

The one thing that keeps screaming back to me is the look of this driver. Many people say they love the classic look of a Titleist driver, and this driver to me, goes right there with it. The sound is like no other, super flat. I keep ho'ing out this club to everyone I know, and all replies have been positive. One guy picked up between 10-20 yds in distance on every hole that he hit it. One guy hit a green 8 times in a row from 285. This thing is the real deal, and I am blessed to have crossed paths with it.

Would you be able to take this driver to a launch monitor? I am curious to see ball speed, launch angle, and spin rate compared to your other driver. I am especially interested in seeing if the launch monitor would show path and face angle at impact - I'm wondering if the heavy backweight allows you to get into the slot any differently than your regular gamer.

Looks interesting, I'll have to give it a swing my next trip up to GG. Seems like it would work because of the maximized speed at the bottom of the swing.

This is my gamer. I dont see what benefit there would be comparing it to my other drivers. But I can sure try to get on a launch monitor for some numbers.

Would you be able to take this driver to a launch monitor? I am curious to see ball speed, launch angle, and spin rate compared to your other driver. I am especially interested in seeing if the launch monitor would show path and face angle at impact - I'm wondering if the heavy backweight allows you to get into the slot any differently than your regular gamer.

This is my gamer. I dont see what benefit there would be comparing it to my other drivers. But I can sure try to get on a launch monitor for some numbers.

Thanks - I meant compared to the driver you were using prior to receiving this one for testing. A couple of launch monitors I have used show face and path angle into impact. I'm curious to see if this driver changes those figures compared to a non-backweighted driver for you. I know for me, the opposite is true. I have tried the lightweight Cleveland drivers, and I tend to come into impact with an open clubface due to the lightweight shaft. I am "hitting" at the ball because it is so light and just fan the face open.

Golf is a funny sport.

Yesterday I had my first lesson. Because it looked like I was "working too hard" to swing the Heavy Driver, my instructor brings out 4 other drivers. Two of which I have hit before, and hated. See, I told the instructor he could break my swing, and completely rebuild it with the driver. Unfortunately, it wasn't working well for the HD with all of these changes. I only swung 10 times with it before my instructor made me stop and swing other drivers.

I'm not going to lie, I felt a bit discouraged and a little sad for the HD. But after having a full day now to think about it, I'm actually not going to give up. I have come to this conclusion. When you are making drastic swing changes, the HD is not the club to swing when your trying to 'feel' the swing change. It is heavier, and I'm trying to make every move more pronounced so that I know it's happening. This is probably what makes it look like I'm having to 'work so hard' to swing. Of course the Burner 2.0 will look easier, it doesn't weigh anything.

So, the HD is still in my bag. I'm hitting my 3 wood so well right now, I don't need to replace the HD. I probably will swing a different club to work on the swing changes, but as I get the feel for them, I plan on coming right back to the HD to see if my problems are cured with it. I expect to be at that point by Sunday.

On the other side, I'm not going into great detail on this, but subjectively, and based on distance and dispersion, here is how the HD (with old swing) stacked up against some pretty good competition. All of these are HD old swing vs other driver new swing.

HD v Burner 2.0 - HD wins, Burner 2.0 was all over the place on dispersion, and feels horrible to hit
HD v Burner 2.0 TP - Burner 2.0 TP wins, good dispersion, distance, I still prefer feel of HD though
HD v. Callaway Razr Hawk - HD wins, the Razr felt clunky to hit, too low of launch
HD v Callawaw Diablo - HD wins, better distance, feel, and dispersion
HD v Titleist 910 with stiff (and heavy) RIP shaft - this was a close one, and I'm calling it a tie. Were the shaft maybe not quite as stiff as it was, the 910 would have won, but, the launch was too low.

When these swing changes are made, I hope to come back with an 'updated' review of the HD.

~Rock

Golf is a funny sport.

Yesterday I had my first lesson. Because it looked like I was "working too hard" to swing the Heavy Driver, my instructor brings out 4 other drivers. Two of which I have hit before, and hated. See, I told the instructor he could break my swing, and completely rebuild it with the driver. Unfortunately, it wasn't working well for the HD with all of these changes. I only swung 10 times with it before my instructor made me stop and swing other drivers.

I'm not going to lie, I felt a bit discouraged and a little sad for the HD. But after having a full day now to think about it, I'm actually not going to give up. I have come to this conclusion. When you are making drastic swing changes, the HD is not the club to swing when your trying to 'feel' the swing change. It is heavier, and I'm trying to make every move more pronounced so that I know it's happening. This is probably what makes it look like I'm having to 'work so hard' to swing. Of course the Burner 2.0 will look easier, it doesn't weigh anything.

So, the HD is still in my bag. I'm hitting my 3 wood so well right now, I don't need to replace the HD. I probably will swing a different club to work on the swing changes, but as I get the feel for them, I plan on coming right back to the HD to see if my problems are cured with it. I expect to be at that point by Sunday.

On the other side, I'm not going into great detail on this, but subjectively, and based on distance and dispersion, here is how the HD (with old swing) stacked up against some pretty good competition. All of these are HD old swing vs other driver new swing.

HD v Burner 2.0 - HD wins, Burner 2.0 was all over the place on dispersion, and feels horrible to hit
HD v Burner 2.0 TP - Burner 2.0 TP wins, good dispersion, distance, I still prefer feel of HD though
HD v. Callaway Razr Hawk - HD wins, the Razr felt clunky to hit, too low of launch
HD v Callawaw Diablo - HD wins, better distance, feel, and dispersion
HD v Titleist 910 with stiff (and heavy) RIP shaft - this was a close one, and I'm calling it a tie. Were the shaft maybe not quite as stiff as it was, the 910 would have won, but, the launch was too low.

When these swing changes are made, I hope to come back with an 'updated' review of the HD.

~Rock

I think we all appreciate your honesty. Keep working. I have owned and demo'ed many drivers over the years that just simply did not work for me and my swing. Certain models simply are not for everyone. There is no shame in that.

Me and Heavy Driver a couple of hours ago.

IMGP2877.jpg

Dude, I did just that! It is on the previous page, but here it is again!

I went to a local (about 1 1/2 hours away) course that has a bunch of Trackmans set up. I had a bunch of variables that I wanted to test so this was a great opportunity. I included a key along with the Trackman stats. Let me introduce the competitors in the Trackman Challenge. First there is one of the most prolific drivers in golf history. The R11 is a driver driven by amazing adjustability and fantastic marketing. So I felt this was the perfect place to start, the R11 without any backweighting. Next, the Challenger, the Heavy Driver. Our love for the Heavy Driver has been well documented on this forum, but will the numbers back up my claims of greatness. Next, I tested the R11 set at 9* and with 50 grams of backweighting in it. (I combined groups on the print out to make it easier to read). The fourth challenger was my R11 set at 9* with 50 grams of backweight, but it also has a Harrison Shotmaker E flex in it. The Harrison Shotmaker is a product that is supposed to decrease the deformation/deflection that happens at the tip of the shaft when the head impacts the ball. It supposed to do this without adding any relative stiffness to the shaft and ultimately, it is supposed to decrease sidespin. With claims like these I was excited to see if it backed up its claims. After seeing that many of my launch numbers were quite low, I decided to try a couple of unplanned adjustments. I tested my R11 set at 10* with 50 grams of back weight and the Harrison Shotmaker and then the same set up without the Shotmaker. Here are the numbers.

5948263662_60c44ab8f6_b.jpg

As you can see I am launching the Heavy Driver very low. This was surprising because I didn’t feel like it looked that low and when I compared the two previously on the course, there wasn’t that much difference in distance. But the numbers don’t lie. Also, my launch angle was very low for my R11 when it was set at 9*. There is no doubt that I was more consistent with the backweighting, but the big surprise to me was how much more consistent I was with the Shotmaker in. Now one thing to note is that these were averages, so one shot hit down the middle followed by one 20 yards to the right and one 20 yards to the left would give me an average of 0. That being said, I do think these numbers pretty accurately tell the story. I definitely saw an improvement in my shot dispersion with the Shotmaker in, and this was with the driver set at 9* and 10*. It is clear from the numbers that I should be playing a 10* driver, which is surprising because I was fit for this driver at the Kingdom, but I have begun a swing change that must not be giving me the height I was seeing before. In addition to the lower launch angle, my SS has decrease substantially (by 5 mph), but when I was hitting the R11 set at 10* with the backweight and Shotmaker, I was seeing really good distances as well as improved dispersion.

So what am I taking home from this outing? As far as the Heavy Driver is concerned, I am still very impressed. If you compare the two drivers and the total costs associated with the two and their performance, I would rate the Heavy Driver as a Best Buy. How can I make this statement about a $400 driver? Lets compare the cost of the Heavy Driver vs the R11 TP with Backweighting and the Shotmaker insert in it (this was the driver that performance wise was able to beat out the Heavy Driver). Heavy Driver $400. R11 TP $500 + Backweighting $20 + Shotmaker $140= $660. Yes, my tricked out R11 did perform better than the Heavy Driver (once I got my R11 set to the correct loft), but I really think that if you are looking for a driver to work right off the rack, then I think the Heavy Driver has to be on your shortlist.

Edited to enlarge the picture

Dr. Teeth -

Thanks - I read your post the other day, but did not notice the path/face angle numbers.

If I am reading this correctly, it looks like to me you came significantly more from the inside with the R9 backweighted vs the other clubs. And for some reason, you were hitting down on the Boccieri vs. any of the other clubs, backweighted or not. That must be why you were launching it low.

For the Boccieri, I wonder if maybe the ball needed to be a little further forward in your stance so that you hit it on a flat or slightly upwards trajectory. That would probably give you the higher trajectory and a little less spin, and I bet the total distance would be at the top compared to the other drivers.

Thanks for reposting.

Im heading out for 9 in about 20-25 minutes. Cant wait!

Im going to try swinging this thing as slow as possible, to see what the results yield.

Well that was quite an experience! When I slow my swing down, it goes higher and straighter!

Tonight I focused on only hitting a dead straight ball, and it worked out beautifully. This club continues to amaze me every time out!

I've noticed that the most forgiveness comes from the inside heel. Low on the heel causes a slight fade that is all carry, which only seems to give up 10-15 yds.

Well that was quite an experience! When I slow my swing down, it goes higher and straighter!

Tonight I focused on only hitting a dead straight ball, and it worked out beautifully. This club continues to amaze me every time out!

I've noticed that the most forgiveness comes from the inside heel. Low on the heel causes a slight fade that is all carry, which only seems to give up 10-15 yds.

Played Bear's Best yesterday. Hadn't swung a club in a week so I was not finding the sweet spot very well. Distance loss off the heel wasn't that bad and shots still found the fairway. I did hit two off the toe that didn't fair very well at all though......

@DDelise I took the HD and my Superfast 1.0 to GG to try out on their launch monitor about 3 weeks ago. My superfast had the stock ozik matrix shaft stiff and chopped an inch to bring it down to 1" longer than "standard"(WTF?) Swing speed WAS 1-3 mphs faster with the Superfast but I always hit a big push/fade with it. Launch monitor showed I'ld always come at the ball from the inside but with an open club face. (Ball went right, then a little more right) The superfast being so light I was always swinging out of my shoes way too hard. Ball speed was roughly the same but I was consistently getting better launch angle/spin with the HD. Probably because I couldn't swing as hard.

Ok, so, as I suspected, the Heavy Driver is not a great club to make swing changes with. But, when the changes were in place and I was comfortable with it, I was getting pretty good results with the HD. In fact, the HD beat out the TM 2.0 TP. I'm still launching it too low, but I was hitting it straight and far. Oddly enough, I was also hitting my old, TM 300 Ti driver better than any other driver today.

I'm eating lunch, and plan to play a few holes after. We'll see if the HD continues to perform well with the new, and completely redesigned, swing.

Is that the best thing you've found in this driver?

Played Bear's Best yesterday. Hadn't swung a club in a week so I was not finding the sweet spot very well. Distance loss off the heel wasn't that bad and shots still found the fairway. I did hit two off the toe that didn't fair very well at all though......

@DDelise I took the HD and my Superfast 1.0 to GG to try out on their launch monitor about 3 weeks ago. My superfast had the stock ozik matrix shaft stiff and chopped an inch to bring it down to 1" longer than "standard"(WTF?) Swing speed WAS 1-3 mphs faster with the Superfast but I always hit a big push/fade with it. Launch monitor showed I'ld always come at the ball from the inside but with an open club face. (Ball went right, then a little more right) The superfast being so light I was always swinging out of my shoes way too hard. Ball speed was roughly the same but I was consistently getting better launch angle/spin with the HD. Probably because I couldn't swing as hard.

Thanks for the update. I have a similar problem with really light clubs - I leave the face open.

With temps around 100 degrees with heat index's around 108/110, I have only played a couple of times this week. I used the Heavy driver in my Thursday evening league and played very well. The heat has left our course firm and super fast, so driver distances with the added roll has really jumped up.

I hit almost every fairway with the driver and averaged close to 275 yards and even had one out to 290 yards with a ton of rollout. I could not have been happier.

Friday evening I played with a couple of guys at our local 9 hole course and for whatever reason, my driver swing broke down on me on nearly every hole, which resulted in not a single fairway hit. This course was playing a little shorter as they have been watering pretty heavy so the fairways were not as firm with not as much rollout as my home course. I just could not get in the groove and missed both left and right. Not the fault of the driver, but I lost the feel for sure.

This morning I played 18 holes with the skins group and had a little better outing and I was able to hit around 50% of the fairways which was a little disappointing but better than Friday. Once this heat goes down a little, I hope to get back to tracking each shot with the driver.

Alright, SFCoach has returned from hiatus! Played 18 today for the first time in a week and a half...

...and I shot my best round ever. By far. It was a Mickelson-esque round though because I was all over the place.

Alright, so I went out with a few friends for 18 holes in 95 degree weather. It was incredibly hot out but the course wasn't crowded so we made it around in about 3.5 hours. I actually had a really enjoyable round and, as I said in my previous post, shot a career best. And it wasn't even close. I shattered my old career best by FAR. However, like I said, I felt like Phil out there. I was smashing shots but they were going all over the place. However, I just kept recovering and made a great day out of it. I only hit 7/14 FIR and 6/18 GIR. Fortunately, it is an easy little track and that allowed me to post a great score.

---

Front Nine:

Hole #1: 341 yard par 4. I hit a nice little tight draw with the Boccieri and was left with 70 yards. Hit a nice little wedge onto the left side of the green, missed my 15 footer for birdie, and started off with a par. 1/1 FIR.

Hole #2: 339 yard par 4. However, there is a tree in the middle of the fairway. Pretty dumb. I managed to blast it over the tree and was left with 80 yards (but it was a good two clubs up hill). Just off the fairway. Hit a smooth gap wedge over the green. Chipped within 5 feet and made the putt. 1/2 FIR.

Hole #3: 221 yard par 3. I hit a 4 iron and pushed it out to the right. Hit my new 60 degree wedge onto the green and missed a 10 footer for par. Bogey.

Hole #4: 326 yard par 4. I hit the Heavy well but it stayed well out to the right. Didn't draw back it all. I found it sitting on a hillside though and still had a good look at the flag. Came up a little short with my 56. It was an ugly second shot. Third shot on the green, missed the putt, and ended up with another bogey. That, however, would be the last bogey I carded. 1/3 FIR.

Hole #5: 280 yard par 4. Can easily reach the green. It's tough though - if you miss too far you'll be OB easily. I hit a blast and just ended up on a small hillside to the right of the green. 280 yards easily. 1/4 FIR but I'll take that drive all day. I chipped onto the green, missed the putt, carded a par. Should've been a birdie.

Hole #6: 368 yard par 4. I hit a blast down the center of the fairway. 275. Perfect little tight draw. The second shot was a good way up-hill so I used my gap wedge. Blasted it over the green. Should've taken a little off of it. Still, I managed to get up and down for par. 2/5 FIR.

Hole #7: 512 yard par 5. I hit another blast. It was 300 yards!! The ball was really flying in this heat and I was getting some great run. I hit my 4 iron and came up just a little short (it was a good ways uphill). I hit a poor third chip. Wasted shot. Managed to get up and down for par. 3/6 FIR.

Hole #8: 166 yard par 3. Hit a poor 8 iron but caught the cart path and ended up just to the right of the green. Up and down for par. Par train.

Hole #9: 360 yard par 4. I blasted another drive but it stayed out there. I was left having to punch a 5 iron under some trees and ended up just to the right of the green. Up and down for par. 3/7 FIR. I was sweating bullets and frustrated at this point because I knew I was just off but scoring well. Went in, got a few drinks, cooled off, and then headed back out for the back nine.

---

Back Nine:

Hole #10: 358 yard par 4. I took a few deep breaths and blasted a great drive down the right side of the fairway. 4/8 FIR. It traveled about 280 and I put my 56 on the green. I was left with a 15 footer. Just missed it. Par.

Hole #11: 566 yard par 5. I hit another blast. It was all of 290 and down the center of the fairway. I hit a flush 5 wood and was about 30 yards away. I hit a nice chip onto the green and finally drilled a sliding 12 foot putt for BIRDIE. My first birdie of the day. 5/9 FIR.

Hole #12: 377 yard par 4. Hit a 290 yard blast down the middle of the fairway. This is starting to just feel routine. In a definite rhythm. I though I hit a great second shot but it took a bad kick to the right of the green. Chipped up and hit a 6 footer for par. 6/10 FIR.

Hole #13: 334 yard par 4. It's a severe dog-leg left. I thought I could draw it around the tree-line on the left. I didn't. It stayed out to the right and I was up in some trees. Actually, I was on the next holes fairway. I completely blasted it but it was in the wrong direction so I still had a good 160 left. As I said, I had to punch it around some trees. I did! I hit a low 5-iron the drew right around the trees and ended up just down to the right side of the green. Up and down for par. 6/11 FIR.

Hole #14: 391 yard par 4. I hit a blast but it was just off the left side of the fairway. 280. I hit a fantastic second shot and drilled a sliding 9 footer for birdie. Another birdie. Woo. 6/12 FIR.

Hole #15: 171 yard par 3. Hit a smooth 6-iron and put it to the left of the green. I used my new 60 and almost holed it. I tapped in a 6 inch putt for par.

Hole #16: 298 yard par 4. It's another reachable hole. I hit a perfect blast, 280, and was left with a chip up to the green. Didn't hit a great one. I just missed a 40 footer from off the green and carded a par. 6/13 FIR but it was another great drive. The stats don't tell the story for the most part.

Hole #17: 138 yard par 3. It's actually pretty tricky because it's a really tight green and if you miss it you'll be at the bottom of a big hillside. I hit a gap wedge and was pin high, just left of the green. I hit a 15 foot putt that just missed. Par.

Hole #18: 338 yard, downhill par 4. It's actually a really nice hole. A lake on both sides of the fairway. I hit a BLAST. I mean, a complete blast. I was left with 30 yards. 300+ drive! Love it. Baby draw just off of the right side of the fairway. 7/14 FIR but, as I said, another great drive. Hit a good second shot and drained a 12 footer for birdie.

Score: 69 (par 70). 7/14 FIR, 6/18 GIR. Who would have thought I'd post a 69 with statistics like that? Still, I hit some absolute blasts and was scrambling well. Well, that's what a career best 23 putts will do for you.

---

I'm using a few new clubs and had fun with all of them today. Obviously, I still consider the Heavy Driver to be a treat. This was also my first full round using my new Heavy Putter. 23 putts. A career best. Fantastic stuff. I had been pulling putts badly but felt really smooth and steady today. I also recently purchased a Nike VR Pro 60 degree wedge. Today was my first round using that beauty (and I'll probably end up getting a 54). I loved it. Absolutely loved it. It was checking up nicely and felt so smooth.

Fun round in the scorching heat!

Solid round SF! Seems the driver is really working for ya, congrats on the 69!

Great round SF!!

I never thought I'ld be saying this but looking at the weather around the country I'm glad I'm out here in the Desert. We got a nice cool 100* going right now.

Thanks, guys! It was fun. Yeah, the weather has been incredibly warm. We had a heat index of about 115 yesterday.

By the way, I really plan on turning it up in the near future. I'm planning on playing Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and next Sunday as of right now. So, I'll have a lot of golf to update in the near future! I need to start taking some videos but I never think of doing it in the middle of a round.

I'm going to try and squeeze some golf in tomorrow before I head to a baseball game in the afternoon but I'm not sure I'll have time.

On Friday out of the blue I received a call from non other than Mr. Boccieri! I was so blown away! When I first spoke to him I told him that I was planning on getting the driver on the launch monitor and he told me to send him the results when I did get on the monitor. So I did just that and WOW! he called me to discuss what he was seeing. This is just amazing to me that the OWNER of this company has taken so much of an interest in the testers. He talked about reading the thread and we discussed what might help increase my launch conditions. First thing he suggested was getting a 10* driver in my hands. We also talked about different shaft profiles that could potentially be beneficial for me. As some of you may be aware they built me a driver with an X Stiff shaft, but I expressed concerns that with my launch monitor SS of 105-106 that maybe I should be playing a stiff flex. He asked if I would send him a video of my swing so he could better comment whether He thought I would be better served with a softer flex. I have to say that I am just constantly amazed by Mr. Boccieri and his fine company! I am going to say it again, if you are in the market for any new club, you owe it to your self to check Boccieri golf out! BTW, I got out on Saturday and tried moving the ball up in my stance (a suggestion of a member here on THP as well as a suggestion of Mr. Boccieri.) and it helped! I noticed an increase of my ball flight, so thank you very much!

Back