Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Iron Review Thread

I brought mine from ebay as no one down here stocks any Bridgestone. If you want to save some money the J38's are nearly identical in the DPC.

Yeah that is where im thinking ill have to look. How do the j40s and j38s compare?

Just picked up a set of these 4-PW in KBS Tour 90 stiff. Will be using them tomorrow, can't wait. Will report back how my first round/range session goes with them.

Oh man, looking forward to your thoughts. Great shaft pairing!

JM

More thoughts later as I am heading out to dinner with the wife, but my first round today with these was pretty sweet.

I'm working on some gapping for my MC bag, and have a 4h and 5i and 6i DPC. All are stock shafts in 6.0 flex, but the 4h is consistently carrying 180 while the 5i is 160 and 6i is 150. Obviously the gapping between 5 and 6 is fine at 10 yds, but is there anything anyone would suggest to bridge the gap between 4h and 5i? Would a lighter shaft in my irons help or should I consider altering lofts?

I'm working on some gapping for my MC bag, and have a 4h and 5i and 6i DPC. All are stock shafts in 6.0 flex, but the 4h is consistently carrying 180 while the 5i is 160 and 6i is 150. Obviously the gapping between 5 and 6 is fine at 10 yds, but is there anything anyone would suggest to bridge the gap between 4h and 5i? Would a lighter shaft in my irons help or should I consider altering lofts?

Can you drop 4i for a hybrid?

I might consider choking down 1/2 an inch on the hybrid when I needed the lower end of that gap. Could be an easier solution than getting more gear or messing with shafts.

I would try what Tequila said... choke down a little and hit a bunch of shots to see if you can close that gap. Will still be much easier than hitting a 4i if you are already comfortable with the Hybo.

I'm confused. I'm using a 4 hybrid, are you saying I should use a 4 iron instead?

Sounds like it might be the idea he is suggesting. If using a 4I gets you into the 170 - 175 range, then the gap issue would have been somewhat addressed and you might look at maybe a 5W or something as you move up. Total guess on my part, but that's the way I read what he was saying.

I'm confused. I'm using a 4 hybrid, are you saying I should use a 4 iron instead?

Ya I believe mike dean skimmed a bit! Haha

In an ideal world you could probably carry a 5i and a 5h, but no 5h's are made by bridgestone unfortunately. I like your idea of choking downa bit. Or just going with a smooth 70% swing when you need to put it in that area where that gap is.

Ya I believe mike dean skimmed a bit! Haha

In an ideal world you could probably carry a 5i and a 5h, but no 5h's are made by bridgestone unfortunately. I like your idea of choking downa bit. Or just going with a smooth 70% swing when you need to put it in that area where that gap is.

I think it's a heck of a lot easier to take distance off a hybrid than it is to accurately step on a 5 iron.

Neb, the gap will be present there because the hybrid is inherently easier to make sound contact with. My guess is your weight differential between the hybrid shaft and the iron shaft is a good 30+ grams, and that's probably going to increase your swing speed and ball speed as well with the hybo.

As Canadan mentioned, you might look at different shafts in the 5I/6I to see if a you could squeeze a little more distance there. Not sure what your yardages are on the other sides of those clubs (what you hit a 3H/FW would or what you hit your 7I) but you don't want to create gaps in the rest of your bag by trying to fix this one.

Also, you would need to test out whether altering lofts would help you get more distance. lowering the loft usually equals more distance, but if you have trouble getting the ball up in the air, it might not get you any more yards.

I usually choke down and shorten my swing a little for my 4H to get a lower yardage because this produces better results then trying to manhandle my 5I into extra yards.

I think it's a heck of a lot easier to take distance off a hybrid than it is to accurately step on a 5 iron.

Neb, the gap will be present there because the hybrid is inherently easier to make sound contact with. My guess is your weight differential between the hybrid shaft and the iron shaft is a good 30+ grams, and that's probably going to increase your swing speed and ball speed as well with the hybo.

Didn't think about the ease of hitting, but that makes sense. If I were to find a lighter iron shaft, like the CTLs or even tour 90s would that in theory shrink the gap? I really wish Bridgestone made a 5h and I'd game it all day!

Didn't think about the ease of hitting, but that makes sense. If I were to find a lighter iron shaft, like the CTLs or even tour 90s would that in theory shrink the gap? I really wish Bridgestone made a 5h and I'd game it all day!

haha the problem with theories, eh? Yes, I think in theory you could.. Closing the weight gap will improve the gap, but you're still looking at a club that is easier to make sound contact with ample weight behind the face vs an iron.

It's a big reason why I use an 18* hybrid and then switch to a 4 iron. I'd rather my gap be higher in the bag --- But i suppose handicap and consistent striking play a role in every decision we make.

Yeah, I don't think a 4 iron fits my abilities even if the gapping would be better. I'll just make sure I don't have 170 into the pin and this won't be an issue.

Thought i would drop into this thread as i am really pondering hard on some new irons (getting rid of my j40 dpc I mean). If the cost where I live was not so prohibitively expensive against re-shafting i would just do that. Aaaaarrrggggghhhhh!!!!!!

Thought i would drop into this thread as i am really pondering hard on some new irons (getting rid of my j40 dpc I mean). If the cost where I live was not so prohibitively expensive against re-shafting i would just do that. Aaaaarrrggggghhhhh!!!!!!
So you don't like the Nippons in the DPC's? What shafts would you want?

I want these again....

Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Iron Review Thread

I'm tossing up between project x flighted, kbs tour and pxi.

As you could probably tell from my sig, I'm a fan of the PXi, DPC combo.

I do believe I've come to terms with my Morgan Cup irons. I long pondered the combo set, but with how forgiving the DPCs can be, and how little that hinders anything as compared to the CBs.

Currently working with a set paired with the DG S300's, I think I'm going to go back to my trusty DG X100 soft stepped once. The added stiffness will get my flight down a bit and help to promote additional consistency, both of which I am really excited about.

I think the hardest part about this selection process is knowing how many good options Bridgestone has available on their site. It's impressive.

I do believe I've come to terms with my Morgan Cup irons. I long pondered the combo set, but with how forgiving the DPCs can be, and how little that hinders anything as compared to the CBs.

Currently working with a set paired with the DG S300's, I think I'm going to go back to my trusty DG X100 soft stepped once. The added stiffness will get my flight down a bit and help to promote additional consistency, both of which I am really excited about.

I think the hardest part about this selection process is knowing how many good options Bridgestone has available on their site. It's impressive.
I really like the Soft step dea dude. Matt has those in his JPX, and they feel great. Distance wise they're a club longer than my gamers too. X100 feel, with the s300 action...is how it felt to me.

Back