Bridgestone JGR Irons Preview

Just bought these 6-pw2 and must say they are extremely fun to play! Forged and forgiving! Love the way they set up to the ball, extremely easy to pick off the turf with the thinnish looking sole but have an extreme cavity on the back that just launches the ball into orbit. I am a sweeper and these irons work perfectly for my swing. If you have trouble getting the ball in the air, I would highly recommend these. Yes, I know the lofts are jacked, my 6 iron is 24*, but I can hit it higher than any other 24 degree lofted iron I have ever had including the altitudes. It's fun to sit on par 3's and hit 9 iron whenever everyone else is hitting 7 iron. It's fun to hit a 9 iron 140. It's fun to mess with other people's heads. The recoil F3 shafts are perfect for my slower swing speed. These irons are bringing a lot of enjoyment to my game. Now I'm looking for a 5 iron and D wedge. If you liked the altitudes, you need to give these a try.

twoods really nailed it with this comment. I have a set of JGRs with Recoils and they're great performers. They launch the ball incredibly high, but also look and sound good.

Over the top they're probably the least chunky iron I've personally seen that offers anywhere close to this level of forgiveness. Think of the most forgiving Altitude/Ping iron but cross it with a Bridgestone player's cavity iron.

They're also pretty rare, so they are a nice conversation starter.

Guys, I've been getting a lot of questions about the 2 pitching wedges, so I thought I'd explain the reasoning behind it here since others might be wondering the same thing.

• The main reason is the JGR Hybrid Forged irons have stronger lofts and longer assembled lengths than our J15 line. JGR is all about distance WHILE maintaining the trajectories and landing angles that better golfers are accustomed to seeing. For this reason, our 9i loft is 33*and our PW1 loft is 38*. We therefore, decided to call our final club in the set PW2 because its loft is at 44*. Knowing that players typically associate PW lofts in the mid to high 40’s for loft, we did not want to name the final club AW – Approach Wedge, because that gives the impression that the loft is in the 50’s. (BTW – our AW, available as an add on, has a loft of 50*).
  • Our Japan division performed a study a number of years back that asked players “what is your favorite club in the bag”? The PW was the #3 response behind 8i and Driver. So an extra PW in the bag is a good thing, right? "PW" on the bottom of the club inspires confidence for a lot of us that play this game.

The JGR Hybrid Forged irons feature the LOWEST and DEEPEST CoG of any forged iron on the market, and for that reason alone we were able to strengthen the lofts while maintaining typical trajectories and landing angles that golfers demand (Example: the JGR 8i flies out of the “shoot” at the same trajectory and features the same apex and landing angles as the j15CB 8i. The only difference is the JGR 8i is carrying 10-12 yards further than the j15CB 8i).

We are only able to make the lofts strong and lengthen the JGR irons because of the wide flange design. No one would want to play an 8i that came out like a 5i because you would lose all of your stopping power on the green, BUT, with JGR we can because of it’s LOW & DEEP CoG. JGR is a game-changer and I can guarantee there is no other iron like it on the market!

Since the thread got bumped, thought I bump this response from Bridgestone.

Markm: Good quote bump! I think Bridgestone is correct. When I first saw the specs on these I was skeptical, but I have had zero issues with gapping. Of course that may be due to the graphites.

I'd also agree about the forged statement. I've personally not hit a club that feels this soft that has this type of launch.

The 5 iron has been a very interesting addition to the bag for me, love it off the tee on shorter par 4s and longer par 3s.

Really curious what it would be like for me with a graphite shaft, still need to find one and swap it out.

The 5 iron has been a very interesting addition to the bag for me, love it off the tee on shorter par 4s and longer par 3s.

Really curious what it would be like for me with a graphite shaft, still need to find one and swap it out.

Icey, that's exactly what I'm thinking about doing. Looking to replace my Cobra 5i with the JGR 5. Just need some help with the launch as the Cobra F7 ONE 5 launches a bit too low for me.

I'm not able to play or practice much these days due to a hectic work schedule. So I decided to purchase a set of SGI irons. I found a used set of Bridgestone forged hybrid irons at a local golf store. I tried them on their monitor before I purchased them. Easy to hit and great numbers. The owner gave me a deal I couldn't refuse. When I got home and compared them to my current irons I noticed that they were 1 inch longer. I checked Bridgestones website and standard length is 1 inch longer than most standards. Did anyone here have a difficult time transitioning to an extra 1 inch in length? I'm thinking about cutting them down.

I'm not able to play or practice much these days due to a hectic work schedule. So I decided to purchase a set of SGI irons. I found a used set of Bridgestone forged hybrid irons at a local golf store. I tried them on their monitor before I purchased them. Easy to hit and great numbers. The owner gave me a deal I couldn't refuse. When I got home and compared them to my current irons I noticed that they were 1 inch longer. I checked Bridgestones website and standard length is 1 inch longer than most standards. Did anyone here have a difficult time transitioning to an extra 1 inch in length? I'm thinking about cutting them down.

I didn't have any issues with the length or the lie (upright) I'd tell you to get them on the course and see how you do. I don't know how cutting them down might effect the clubs balance.

I didn't have any issues with the length or the lie (upright) I'd tell you to get them on the course and see how you do. I don't know how cutting them down might effect the clubs balance.

What shaft are you playing with your BS JGR hybrid irons?

That extra length may be in place to get the target swingweight. I would play them as is a few rounds to see how you get along.

Recoil 670 F3

Because of the two pitching wedges I have to choose a SW or LW. I see that you went with a 56* SW. Do you miss not having a LW? I'm thinking about splitting the difference and using a 58*.

Because of the two pitching wedges I have to choose a SW or LW. I see that you went with a 56* SW. Do you miss not having a LW? I'm thinking about splitting the difference and using a 58*.

I think 58* is a great option.

You may want to start a new thread since this one is on the older irons.

Rumor has it that in this new set the 5i replaces your 3w and it will have 4 PW's.

they went all grafiti artist with the R in JGR

Bridgestone JGR Irons Preview

Loft jokes. I'm shocked.

:alien:

I get that certain club designs need to have stronger lofts to mitigate the high launch and spin but when comparing apples to apples (low cg, high launch designs) loft and shaft length has to be taken into consideration in order to make comparative decisions between models.

For example yesterday a buddy and I hit the JGR 8i against the Altitude 7i, similar SGI club tech with roughly the same specs.
We proved yesterday on the Foresight that both had similar launch, same distance, same spin.. as they should as they are the same specs.
So, if you put a JGR 7i against an Altitude 7i it's not a fair fight.

At the end of the day I play the Altitude 6i-SW. If I were to play a set of JGR's I would play a 7i - SW to cover the same distances. Maybe it makes a person feel better to hit a 7i 155 instead of 145 and perhaps that is what they are marketing to. For me it's just a number on the club and more about covering gaps properly.
I am not knocking the JGR's but it's no surprise they would be a club longer than most sets on the market.

I was at a local fitting center and even the owner said about the JGR's "I have to watch the lofts when doing a fitting otherwise it's misleading for my customers".

Last edited:
I get that certain club designs need to have stronger lofts to mitigate the high launch and spin but when comparing apples to apples (low cg, high launch designs) loft and shaft length has to be taken into consideration in order to make comparative decisions between models.

For example yesterday a buddy and I hit the JGR 8i against the Altitude 7i, similar SGI club tech with roughly the same specs.
We proved yesterday on the Foresight that both had similar launch, same distance, same spin.. as they should as they are the same specs.
So, if you put a JGR 7i against an Altitude 7i it's not a fair fight.

At the end of the day I play the Altitude 6i-SW. If I were to play a set of JGR's I would play a 7i - SW to cover the same distances. Maybe it makes a person feel better to hit a 7i 155 instead of 145 and perhaps that is what they are marketing to. For me it's just a number on the club and more about covering gaps properly.
I am not knocking the JGR's but it's no surprise they would be a club longer than most sets on the market.

I was at a local fitting center and even the owner said about the JGR's "I have to watch the lofts when doing a fitting otherwise it's misleading for my customers".

why does it have to be about feeling better, instead of about playing better? if the jgr 7i is as easy to hit as the altitude 7i, and it goes farther, and it performs as well in all other aspects, why is that an issue?

i'm not coming hot at you, i just always find this conversation odd. i think it's curious why the "lofts r jacked" crowd has determined that their current set up is the appropriate line in the sand for lofts, but anything stronger is unacceptable. it seems arbitrary. i really mean no offense, i just have a hard time understanding the issue.

why does it have to be about feeling better, instead of about playing better? if the jgr 7i is as easy to hit as the altitude 7i, and it goes farther, and it performs as well in all other aspects, why is that an issue?

i'm not coming hot at you, i just always find this conversation odd. i think it's curious why the "lofts r jacked" crowd has determined that their current set up is the appropriate line in the sand for lofts, but anything stronger is unacceptable. it seems arbitrary. i really mean no offense, i just have a hard time understanding the issue.

Definitely not offended in any way.
To answer your question about ease of use. I have hit the JGR 7i against my Altitude 7i. Given the JGR is 3/4' longer and 5* stronger the Altitude was much easier to hit for me, others mileage may vary.
I have also hit the JGR 8i which is more comparable to my Altitude 7i and those were near equal.

I am a data driven guy being an Auditor by day.
I dug up the specs of some of SGI irons on the market.

All are pretty similar other than the JGR being an outlier. I wouldn't even call the JGR as having jacked lofts.
I understand the term "jacked lofts" to mean a club is built with a pretty common length but the loft is less by a degree or two.
I would classify the JGR as being mismarked. Lets face it, the JGR 7i at 26* and 38" is a strong 6i in most sets both in loft and shaft length.
Like I said in my original post, I understand this so if I were to ever game the JGR's I would start my set at a 7i instead of at my normal 6i and I'd be fine with that.
But as I were testing them I'd be hitting the JGR 8i against all the other 7i's on the market to get a more comparative analysis.

--------Altitude------Gmax---------JPXHD----------Bertha OS--------JGR
7iron-- 31*/37.25"---30.5*/37"----32*/36.75-----30*/37.25"-----26*/38"

Recent posts are missing the point on JGR Hybrid Forged on iron numbering, lofts and shaft lengths.

The number one thing is the JDM iron numbering. This is how they like their numbering in Japan and Bridgestone refuses to have alternate stampings for other markets like the USA. I never thought this would bother me, but I continue to find it irksome. If Mizuno can alternate stamp, no reason Bridgestone cannot do it either. So a 7 is a 6 on USA scale.

So first, compare your JGR HFs 7 iron to your 6 iron, not your 7. That's a 1/2" of shaft difference and a few degrees of loft right there. Beyond that, in comparison to my JPX EZ Forged (which would no longer be considered strong lofted), the lofts are generally stronger still and the shafts at least a 1/4" longer. My JGR 9 is almost a JPX 7 in loft, and my PW1 sits in the middle between my JPX 8 & 9.

I made a chart with lofts and distances I hit with both sets. What I've found that work's the best is to look at each iron as one iron stronger plus. E.g., a JGR 7 is really a 6+ or strong 6. Of course the PW2 is really a PW in loft, so that's the only club I don't play as strong.

FYI, the set AW which most will not have is amazing. It looks completely different then the rest of the set. Narrower sole with no cavity or vibration plate, just a one piece forging with an extended flange. A must get if you have the JGR HFs.

Last edited:
Mizuno and Srixon make sets for North America. Bridgestone does not. They merely bring models over.

Recent posts are missing the point on JGR Hybrid Forged on iron numbering, lofts and shaft lengths.

The number one thing is the JDM iron numbering. This is how they like their numbering in Japan and Bridgestone refuses to have alternate stamping for other markets like the USA. I never thought this would bother me, but I continue to find it irksome. If Mizuno can alternate market stamp, no reason Bridgestone cannot do it either. So a 7 is a 6 on USA scale.

So first, compare your JGR HFs 7 iron to your 6 iron, not your 7. That's a 1/2" of shaft difference and a few degrees of loft right there. Beyond that, in comparison to my JPX EZ Forged (which would no longer be considered strong lofted), the lofts are generally stronger still and the shafts at least a 1/4" longer. My JGR 9 is almost a JPX 7 in loft, and my PW1 sits in the middle between my JPX 8 & 9.

I made a chart with lofts and distances I hit with both sets. What I've found that work's the best is to look at each iron as one iron stronger plus. E.g., a JGR 7 is really a 6+ or strong 6. Of course the PW2 is really a PW in loft, so that's the only club I don't play as strong.

FYI, the set AW which most will not have is amazing. It looks completely different then the rest of the set. Narrower sole with no cavity or vibration plate, just a one piece forging with an extended flange. A must get if you have the JGR HFs.

Interesting. I don't play in the JDM arena so I had no clue about them stamping the iron numbers differently. Thanks for bringing this up.
So pretty much what I said in my posts above was spot on. It's not a jacked lofts issue it's more about them marking the numbers differently which makes them more difficult to compare with other brands stated iron #.

Definitely not offended in any way.
To answer your question about ease of use. I have hit the JGR 7i against my Altitude 7i. Given the JGR is 3/4' longer and 5* stronger the Altitude was much easier to hit for me, others mileage may vary.
I have also hit the JGR 8i which is more comparable to my Altitude 7i and those were near equal.

I am a data driven guy being an Auditor by day.
I dug up the specs of some of SGI irons on the market.

All are pretty similar other than the JGR being an outlier. I wouldn't even call the JGR as having jacked lofts.
I understand the term "jacked lofts" to mean a club is built with a pretty common length but the loft is less by a degree or two.
I would classify the JGR as being mismarked. Lets face it, the JGR 7i at 26* and 38" is a strong 6i in most sets both in loft and shaft length.
Like I said in my original post, I understand this so if I were to ever game the JGR's I would start my set at a 7i instead of at my normal 6i and I'd be fine with that.
But as I were testing them I'd be hitting the JGR 8i against all the other 7i's on the market to get a more comparative analysis.

--------Altitude------Gmax---------JPXHD----------Bertha OS--------JGR
7iron-- 31*/37.25"---30.5*/37"----32*/36.75-----30*/37.25"-----26*/38"

Interesting comments here.
I'm start my JGR HB Iron set at 7i down to the AW.
I found the 5i too difficult to hit and for what yardage the 6i was giving me, I can get more versatility out of a #4 21* Hybrid, so out the bag they came.
I gamed the JGR CB set for a while this spring, however I just hit these so much better.
Still think that I'm going to an interesting fit at the Grandaddy because of what I play, However I'm sure they have seen stranger.
Heck I can hit my JGR HB 7i well - If that is a 6i in a regular set - I'm one Happy Clam.

I agree with Badddog that at AW might be the best club in the bag - So different than the rest.

I'm trying a little experiment right now swapping the JGR Forged Hybrid 5 iron for my current 4 iron. They match lofts exactly, and are within .25" in length. The JGR launches higher, goes maybe a couple yards farther, but is way more forgiving. I've not had an ounce of problems with roll out, either. I haven't gotten it to back up or anything, but I hit it into a green a few times and it was consistently within 3 feet of its mark. I added a bit of lead tape to the bottom, and I think I may try to fit some in the cavity as well just to help the swing weight match better. So far I'm happy with the results!

Back