Budget Launch monitors... ES14 , Mevo , SC300

Let's see what didn't I like.
Every other reading was off. I have tried 4 units and not one of them read the same.
Distances were all over the place. Spin wasn't even close. It was a giant flaming turd.

Ernest has its own issues, but nothing like the SC300.

odd they wouldn’t take what seemingly worked in the older unit and grow upon and improve with the new unit.

odd they wouldn’t take what seemingly worked in the older unit and grow upon and improve with the new unit.

In my opinion it was because it was rushed. There were numerous delays, but the team that’s in place here is really just a distributor of a product so they are at the mercy of the creation and lack of updates and frankly poor communication has made this thing just awful.

Im not looking to go with anything crazy since it will just be for my own backyard use, but do you think its best to keep it simple with an SC200 or similar? Something mainly to focus on ball speed and carry?
SC200 only goes to 320 yards Joe. Won't be accurate for you. :ROFLMAO:(y)

Is there going to be an SC400? maybe that's "new" and "improved"?

This is the perfect thread at the perfect time. With it looking unlikely that I'll be on any real course at any time soon I'm thinking about picking one of these up just to keep sharp and fresh while I'm not playing. Various ponder modes are now officially engaged. It's optimistic to think I'll be able to use it constantly though, because even summer time in Aberdeen is hit and miss as to whether we're going to get an inch of rain in July!

A launch monitor is something I have considered a few times, but currently the garden doesn't really work for anywhere to use it with a net (and we don't have the indoor space) so this thread might just be kept in the back of my mind until we get our extension done, and then if I can convince Jen to put some artifical turf down instead of the grass we currently have when we redo the garden, a net and launch monitor would definitely be considered

This is the perfect thread at the perfect time. With it looking unlikely that I'll be on any real course at any time soon I'm thinking about picking one of these up just to keep sharp and fresh while I'm not playing. Various ponder modes are now officially engaged. It's optimistic to think I'll be able to use it constantly though, because even summer time in Aberdeen is hit and miss as to whether we're going to get an inch of rain in July!
Never mind Aberdeen, the same could be said for all of the UK

A launch monitor is something I have considered a few times, but currently the garden doesn't really work for anywhere to use it with a net (and we don't have the indoor space) so this thread might just be kept in the back of my mind until we get our extension done, and then if I can convince Jen to put some artifical turf down instead of the grass we currently have when we redo the garden, a net and launch monitor would definitely be considered

Never mind Aberdeen, the same could be said for all of the UK
Very true mate, doesn't lend itself to any kind of outdoor activities at all!

I am surprised that the SC300 has not worked for some folks. Mine has been really good indoors and outdoors and very accurate too. I tested mine on the range and verified with my range finder several times now. I must have got lucky and got a good one out of the lot.

If it had not of worked it would be finding its way back to the manufacturer. My next is probably a Skytrak but now that I can play outdoors most of the time, it may be winter before I look back into any sims/monitors.

That's what's kept me from looking seriously at these things. I mean the idea is totally awesome, who wouldn't want their own launch monitor at home for a somewhat reasonable price? But the inconsistent reports and reviews mentioning accuracy issues keeps me on the sideline.

That's what's kept me from looking seriously at these things. I mean the idea is totally awesome, who wouldn't want their own launch monitor at home for a somewhat reasonable price? But the inconsistent reports and reviews mentioning accuracy issues keeps me on the sideline.
I would really be upset if I got 3 or 4 of those and each were inaccurate! That would be unacceptable.

Question, What makes a unit like the GC quad so expensive? Is it the actual hardware that its made of or is it relatively cheap parts that the company is making huge profits on?

Question, What makes a unit like the GC quad so expensive? Is it the actual hardware that its made of or is it relatively cheap parts that the company is making huge profits on?
I would like to see the answers to this myself. I can see a PR person and how they would market all the various aspects of this device.

I’ve held off on the budget launch monitors because IMO having one that is inaccurate would do more harm than good. If I get serious about SuperSpeed training I might get an inexpensive radar unit that can give me an idea of clubhead speed but the inaccuracy of the budget launch monitors makes it likely that I wouldn’t be happy with anything less than a GC2. I’m not sure that even dropping $6k on a used one would do anything to lower my index. It would be a fun toy but to get better I’m better investing that money in putting and short game fittings and lessons.

Given enough time, we'll have cell phones with this capability. That would be cool.

I am surprised that the SC300 has not worked for some folks. Mine has been really good indoors and outdoors and very accurate too. I tested mine on the range and verified with my range finder several times now. I must have got lucky and got a good one out of the lot.

The QA/Software guy in me has to wonder where the problem lies. Is it a software algorithm thing and the first testable units were of an earlier branch of hte code and later ones have a better software setup that makes it more accurate? Or is it a hardware thing which is much hard to "fix"? Or is it a sensor/radar thing? THis wouldn't be the first bit of technology that I have seen come out with crappy software and then get progressively better as production numbers increase. Same for just being a damn sh***y design and no amount of coding will help it. Not sure which the SC300 is.

The word soon will depend on user, but I have been pretty vocal about these devices.
I thought SC200 did VERY well for what it was.

I would call SC300 a bag of ****, but I think that is being mean to the bag of ****.
The Mevo and Mevo+ are completely all over the map that I think they do more a disservice than a service to the golfer. I wouldn't pay for those devices and I gave the free ones that we had back.

I believe we will see a couple of units in the future that will be what consumers want, especially internet golfers, but I do not think they are here yet.

LOL,
SEE this is what i like about honest answers @JB will give you. "I would call SC300 a bag of ****, but I think that is being mean to the bag of ****."

I spit coffee this morning....but the apple keyboard needed cleaning again anyway......

They make just about every single element of the unit in house in San Diego. I believe it was @ddec that toured that place with me and I was blown away.

They make just about every single element of the unit in house in San Diego. I believe it was @ddec that toured that place with me and I was blown away.

yeah that place was crazy. It's also easy to see why they were backordered for so long. People complain about mass produced shafts, but not mass produced LMs.

I like my sc300 but don't love it at it's price point...too finicky with placement to get close to accurate distances for me. says my 7i only carries 130 when I play my 7i for anything between 150-160 (off the ground) and it reaches. I've moved it back/forward with not much change...it may not be completely level but I don't have the luxury of bringing a hoe to the range and moving dirt/grass around to build an ideal placement...and I don't care to bring it around the course while I am playing...that being said, it's fun to play with but that's about it to me...

Heavy sigh... so I guess I'll be waiting until they're a lot more accurate... and cheaper.

Tired of not being able to at least put out some numbers when test something. Today i pulled the trigger on an SC200

I'm interested in this, too. Not sure how I didn't see this already. I'll be reading over it later and hopefully will come out with some answers. Probably more likely that I'll come out with questions.

The sc200+ looks good too. i didn’t buy the radar with my superspeed sticks so it’s cool it reads swing speed without hitting a ball

I think the original Mevo is a pretty good device for what it costs.

Randy @ Fried Eggs posted a detail review -

I think the ball speed is good. I don't particularly trust the spin. Launch rates seem high, but I have an issue with flipping. The app and web site are each very good in my opinion.

Dave

This is a market niche where I'm really surprised that the Asian knockoff companies haven't jumped in and flooded the market with cheap launch monitors. They're so prominent in most electronic gadgets, I'd think there would be a zillion of them. Only thing I can figure is that they consider the market space so small as to not really be profitable.

Back