Budget Launch monitors... ES14 , Mevo , SC300

I think the take away is that with the $500 machines you're taking a very noticeable step back from GC Quad, etc... Ball speed should be quite accurate. Club speed and launch probably less so. Spin most definitely less so.

I can use the Mevo and have it help confirm what my ball speed is doing. It is a lot better than having no feedback. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. Does it provide value? It depends upon your perspective. I am getting something out of it. Was it worth the $450 I paid for it? Everyone values money differently, but yes for me I think it has provided a good value.

I have the added benefit of having a corn/soy field behind my house. It is not my field and I should not purposely hit balls into it, but if one misses the net I haven't damaged someone else's house, etc...

Dave

I’ve had all three that you mentioned and have had a chance to try them both inside and outside. Mevo has a nice app and works well outside. Fairly accurate with the distances I would laser. Inside was another story. Of the three mentioned it missed the most shots. Anything 3w or driver was 50/50 if it would pick it up inside. ES14 has a nice app and it is nice to be able to see the really right on the screen of the monitor. Again, worked good outside and was fairly accurate. Inside it was better than Mevo but still missed about 25% of the higher ball speed shots. Also was very bulky and heavy compared to the others. Sc300 is my favorite and is the one I kept. Very accurate outdoors and indoors. Captured the most shots indoors of the three. Last week I hit 203 shots and it caught all of them. Remote is great and the large bright screen is way better than having to use your phone all the time to see the numbers.

I spoke with Wil at Ernest Sports (engineering director I think) about the issues I was seeing (unit not picking up up to half of all shots).
Mentioned it had taken a hit (unit placement in eyesight means it’s hard not to hit) as well as correct placement.
His read was the firmware version was a good one, being hit means it should be returned for at least review & repair & that ball placement is key.
He suggested 14in directly back from center of unit then 12in left (right handed swing).
Plus side, repairs are $60 flat including return shipping so will be sending it in as soon as I can get USPS to actually schedule a pick up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As someone that owns a gc2 this is my take.

Consumer/Budget Launch monitors aren't there yet.

At the price point you bounce between having something that is a toy and something that can actually measure some data just not accurately. The only consumer launch monitor I would consider right now would be a skytrak that also has it's own issues and is significantly outside the original price range specified.

I think the mevo tried to do a balance on price and that thing is finicky. The ads for the prgr just are skeptical and Garmin basically says the launch monitor portion of the g80 is a toy with respect to accuracy. I have no experience with SC but I know some of the older models people enjoy. Ernest has a very hit or miss track record with their products.

If you are patient you can find gc2s going for the high 3ks every once in awhile. Skytrak also can be had at less than retail and have a cheaper buy in for software. Flightscope can also occasionally be found on the cheap and are competitively priced against flightscope and track man. I know there are more options than those, but really you get what you pay for.

@JB so as you said, the ES14 is pretty much a piece of **** lol. Going in to I didnt expect it to be extremely accurate as Foresight, but I thought I could at least get useful data. Wow was I wrong!

Shows my driver speed as 105 with 161 ball speed with a smash of 1.53. My 3w numbers are 115 swing speed with 145 ball speed with 1.26 smash, 5w has 109 club speed with 138 ball speed with smash of 1.27

Apparently I swing a 6i below 90mph but I did swing 100mph with my PW

@JB so as you said, the ES14 is pretty much a piece of **** lol. Going in to I didnt expect it to be extremely accurate as Foresight, but I thought I could at least get useful data. Wow was I wrong!

Shows my driver speed as 105 with 161 ball speed with a smash of 1.53. My 3w numbers are 115 swing speed with 145 ball speed with 1.26 smash, 5w has 109 club speed with 138 ball speed with smash of 1.27

Maybe the device is just mocking you because you said you liked the Truss Putter? :D

So what I’m hearing from the head hancho is this thing is a, what did he say, “******* turd”!🥇 LOL
I could watch THP tv on repeat for some of the comments all day long! GOLD

i have the PRGR black got it for $180. Too bad in the New England I can't hit a golf ball yet but I get swing speed

i have the PRGR black got it for $180. Too bad in the New England I can't hit a golf ball yet but I get swing speed

I'm really curious how accurate that thing is. At that price point it just seems too good to be true. The ads really don't help.

I just can’t get onboard with anything that doesn’t give you shot direction. I could be in graining slice after slice into muscle memory and have no idea.

I just can’t get onboard with anything that doesn’t give you shot direction. I could be in graining slice after slice into muscle memory and have no idea.

Agreed although I think this is where the portables need to be used on a range. Using in the back yard in a net/mat config will help on strike, SS, etc. but until you see the flight path, its incomplete information. Still a step up from just monotonously hitting ball after ball with little to no feedback, but still incomplete.

As someone that owns a gc2 this is my take.

Consumer/Budget Launch monitors aren't there yet.

At the price point you bounce between having something that is a toy and something that can actually measure some data just not accurately....
That's exactly where the problem lies with me as far as the current units available. $500 is a pretty steep price for a toy with dubious and erratic accuracy. I mean, if these things were $99-$149 they'd probably sell all day long, but it's a big reach at 5 bills. The first one that comes up with a reasonably accurate and consistent LM in that $500 price range is going to hit the jackpot.

Even the build materials makes it seem like it is low quality.

Agreed although I think this is where the portables need to be used on a range. Using in the back yard in a net/mat config will help on strike, SS, etc. but until you see the flight path, its incomplete information. Still a step up from just monotonously hitting ball after ball with little to no feedback, but still incomplete.
Definitely agree with this. Doesnt sound like the range by me will be opening any time soon, but im holding my final judgment on the ES14 until I get out where it can track flight.

Ive already considered putting it back on eBay and cutting my losses, but really no need to rush right now

I just woke up and this is my first read of the day. Seems like these things aren't ready to take my money yet.I trust anyone thats weighted in knows way more than me. If you guys aren't happy yet with the results then I can wait.

I have had more time to use my sc300 since working from home with the covid stuff and have learned some things about it. I think I have hit over a thousand balls now using a variety of clubs and mostly inside hitting too.

I noticed distance from the ball and angle of the device is critical when inside and hitting into a net. Placement is extremely important for it to register accurately. This can make it totally not worth it for many people.

Once you get the "hang" of it, it works really well and to me it has paid for itself even with only hitting a thousand balls. The challenge is the small nuances of placement inside can cause all sorts of issues and you want to hurl it into the trash. Figuring out placement inside in my opinion is the key with this device.

I established some baselines with mine and have learned the yardages work pretty good and have matched within a few yards of my course yardages for most of my clubs. Not sure all of the SC300s are like mine, but once I figured out the best way to place it, it works good for me.

Some indicate they need to be outside because you cannot tell which angles you are hitting the ball to, but you can if you pay attention and learn what the device is showing you. I can tell immediately how I am hitting the ball just by my swing and contact and knowing what the device is showing, but that is an individual thing in knowing how and where you are hitting.

The thing I really don't like about SC300 is that they don't have Windows software and in my opinion that bites big time and I don't get that benefit from the device. I don't have ipads, smartphones and the like so for me I cannot use the software, so I wind up doing so much with a pencil and paper.

I have had more time to use my sc300 since working from home with the covid stuff and have learned some things about it. I think I have hit over a thousand balls now using a variety of clubs and mostly inside hitting too.

I noticed distance from the ball and angle of the device is critical when inside and hitting into a net. Placement is extremely important for it to register accurately. This can make it totally not worth it for many people.

Once you get the "hang" of it, it works really well and to me it has paid for itself even with only hitting a thousand balls. The challenge is the small nuances of placement inside can cause all sorts of issues and you want to hurl it into the trash. Figuring out placement inside in my opinion is the key with this device.

I established some baselines with mine and have learned the yardages work pretty good and have matched within a few yards of my course yardages for most of my clubs. Not sure all of the SC300s are like mine, but once I figured out the best way to place it, it works good for me.

Some indicate they need to be outside because you cannot tell which angles you are hitting the ball to, but you can if you pay attention and learn what the device is showing you. I can tell immediately how I am hitting the ball just by my swing and contact and knowing what the device is showing, but that is an individual thing in knowing how and where you are hitting.

The thing I really don't like about SC300 is that they don't have Windows software and in my opinion that bites big time and I don't get that benefit from the device. I don't have ipads, smartphones and the like so for me I cannot use the software, so I wind up doing so much with a pencil and paper.

Everything you are saying is spot on. I’ve had all the launch monitors noted in the title of the thread and the sc300 is my favorite. If you get it placed correctly it won’t miss a single shot (unless the shot goes sideways). Yardages, swing speed, ball speed and launch angle seem spot on compared to what I’ve seen when using the GC Quad at the simulator and outdoor yardages. Only thing that seems off at times is the spin with the driver. That reading seems high compared to what I’ve ever seen in real world hitting or on the GC Quad.

As far as the pencil and paper, have you thought about getting a cheap android tablet? I use my kids old one that he was done with that way I don’t have to look at the small screen of my phone. You could probably score one for cheap and then it would track all your stats for you. The app is actually pretty clean and easy to use.

As far as the pencil and paper, have you thought about getting a cheap android tablet? I use my kids old one that he was done with that way I don’t have to look at the small screen of my phone. You could probably score one for cheap and then it would track all your stats for you. The app is actually pretty clean and easy to use.
Great idea! I hadn't really thought of that.

Everything you are saying is spot on. I’ve had all the launch monitors noted in the title of the thread and the sc300 is my favorite. If you get it placed correctly it won’t miss a single shot (unless the shot goes sideways). Yardages, swing speed, ball speed and launch angle seem spot on compared to what I’ve seen when using the GC Quad at the simulator and outdoor yardages. Only thing that seems off at times is the spin with the driver. That reading seems high compared to what I’ve ever seen in real world hitting or on the GC Quad.

This makes me upset because the SC300 was the first on my list but I got a great deal on the ES14...The ES14 comes with an exact placement guide/cutout to properly line up the ball and monitor. Also you have to readjust the height of the unit based on club.... Ive only been able to use it for 2 weeks but its flat out terrible! Driver seems to be the closest overall accurate reading. Everything else is not even close

Ive placed the monitor on even ground with the ball, on top of the box, and on the grass so its slightly below the mat. All are terrible. Yesterday it was reading my 4i SS at 113mph but ball speed at 127

On course my 3w avg is typically between 270-275 (low - mid 150's ball speed). This damn thing reads my SS 115-116mph and ball speed in the 130's for a distance of 230 yards

This makes me upset because the SC300 was the first on my list but I got a great deal on the ES14...The ES14 comes with an exact placement guide/cutout to properly line up the ball and monitor. Also you have to readjust the height of the unit based on club.... Ive only been able to use it for 2 weeks but its flat out terrible! Driver seems to be the closest overall accurate reading. Everything else is not even close

Ive placed the monitor on even ground with the ball, on top of the box, and on the grass so its slightly below the mat. All are terrible. Yesterday it was reading my 4i SS at 113mph but ball speed at 127

On course my 3w avg is typically between 270-275 (low - mid 150's ball speed). This damn thing reads my SS 115-116mph and ball speed in the 130's for a distance of 230 yards

Out of the three mentioned, the ES14 was my least favorite. Having it positioned precisely was a pain, and it missed a lot of shots. I experienced what your are describing about getting some crazy numbers every now and then.

That's exactly where the problem lies with me as far as the current units available. $500 is a pretty steep price for a toy with dubious and erratic accuracy. I mean, if these things were $99-$149 they'd probably sell all day long, but it's a big reach at 5 bills. The first one that comes up with a reasonably accurate and consistent LM in that $500 price range is going to hit the jackpot.

Yeah I have feeling that that is going to be the magic price point for consumers.

I really wonder what the issue is? Is it the sensors or is it computing that makes it hard to hit a price point.

GC2/GCQ does everything on the unit. Not sure about Trackman/Flightscpe. Skytrak is more reasonably priced but I think it needs another device in order to get outputs.

I’m still torn between the Mevo+ and Skytrak. Will be mostly outdoor use and so I think the Mevo is she’s for now. Still waiting to see if there are any other new products being released this year as happy to wait until after the lockdown for this.

Yeah I have feeling that that is going to be the magic price point for consumers.

I really wonder what the issue is? Is it the sensors or is it computing that makes it hard to hit a price point.

GC2/GCQ does everything on the unit. Not sure about Trackman/Flightscpe. Skytrak is more reasonably priced but I think it needs another device in order to get outputs.
I wonder where the price hangup is too. I’d be willing to spend $500 on a launch monitor even if I have to have a tablet or computer to use it. All I want something that I can hit golf balls into a net, tell me how far it’s going, and if it’s straight or not. The rest would be nice, but it’s not essential.

Anyone got any info on the Ernest Sport ESB1? I’m seeing it pop up on facebook and it claims to give you ball speed, club speed, smash factor, spin rate, launch angle, and distance for $550. It would be cool if THP can get one to test and give honest reviews. @JB, this isn’t what you were hinting at was it and do you think you can get your hands on one for an honest review?

Edit: To add it only supports an iOS app but Is supposed to be updatable.

Last edited:
….

I wish they'd actually support it with FW updates...

Back