Build Your Cobra KING F9 SpeedBack Driver

The thread is for everybody.

I think my setup would look like this:

F9 White 10.5*
PX HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff -1" length
Tour Velvet Grips

Are any of these gross the type that have the front hand built up? I know the connect for the F8 had the golf pride MCC+4 which is my grip of choice and I've also have used the Lamkin tour taper which are similar. If not I'm sure I can have them build it up with tape. I'm now going through THP fork reviews of the shafts to see if one fits my game. After experimenting with The Attas the past couple months I was hoping to see it there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

there are some shafts I'd like to get to try out. Not sure on the head either, probably the 9. UTx black would be the grip of choice.

Are any of these gross the type that have the front hand built up? I know the connect for the F8 had the golf pride MCC+4 which is my grip of choice and I've also have used the Lamkin tour taper which are similar. If not I'm sure I can have them build it up with tape. I'm now going through THP fork reviews of the shafts to see if one fits my game. After experimenting with The Attas the past couple months I was hoping to see it there.

The Attas is a mid trajectory shaft many will be similar.

9* Project X HZRDUS Smoke stiff Crossline Black

Ship it!!

The Attas is a mid trajectory shaft many will be similar.
Yeah, I was gaming the tensei blue 60 before the Attas and that would be the easy choice. I am planning to see what options are local for me to try out. Anything up there with a similar 'solid' feeling like the Attas that you or anyone else would recommend?

That would be solid. Could easily see you playing that.

I've got an old Amp Cell with an Aldila NV 65 shaft that was an absolute workhorse for me when I was prepping for the Morgan Cup. I think Aldila shafts get along really well with Cobra clubs, as a general rule.

Yeah, I was gaming the tensei blue 60 before the Attas and that would be the easy choice. I am planning to see what options are local for me to try out. Anything up there with a similar 'solid' feeling like the Attas that you or anyone else would recommend?

Most don’t like my suggestion, which is don’t overthink the shaft. Find the weight that works.

Hmmm... Tough ponder between the Mamiya Helium F4 or the Smoke 6.0... I am very familiar with the Smoke and it gives me good numbers, but I have heard great things about that Helium shaft (and read them here on THP).

I would go with
Avalanche 12 degree head
UST Helium 5f4 shaft
Cross line black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most don’t like my suggestion, which is don’t overthink the shaft. Find the weight that works.

I should probably listen to this.

That's a great list of shops in options! If it were me I think it would be between two shafts and then have to match it to the coordinating driver head haha

Hzrdus smoke with avalanche
Yellow with yellow

But that makes too much sense.. Lol! In all honesty I care more about getting the grip correct. I have a tendency to grip too tight with my front hand but the new grips with less taper have helped me.

Wow lots of options. Is it worthwhile for folks to see what shaft fits in the F8 for shaft selection?

Oh boy that's a lot of shaft options.

For the head I will most likely be going with 10.5 degree, that is what I currently play and also sometimes bring it down a degree to 9.5. The color is also up in the air, love both the look of the yellow and white so may come down to matching the color scheme of my shaft.

With the grips, are various sizes offered (such as tour velvet midsize), or are the grips offered in standard size and would need to add a few wraps to get them to midsize? And with the F9 grips, are those any particular grip that is just rebranded as the F9 stock grip?

Last edited:
How about the following:

King F9 10.5* - Avalanche ........ This most closely matches what I've been hitting for years, and the "Avalanche" color would look better than the yellow with the shaft I chose.
Project X HZRDUS Red 65 - 5.5 .. The HZRDUS Red, in 5.5 (R), gives a little higher launch, and would work better than some of the others for my slower swing speed.
KING F9 Black Midsize ............... I would usually go UTx Black, but they don't list it in midsize, so would go with this one.​

Wow lots of options. Is it worthwhile for folks to see what shaft fits in the F8 for shaft selection?

It could be, but this is a pretty different driver. Go with a weight comfortable with and most times it works out.

Club Head
KING F9 9*
KING F9 10.5*
KING F9 12*

Shaft Choices
UST Mamiya Helium 4, 5
Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Blue 6
Project X HZRDUS Smoke
Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 7
Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 60, 70
Project X HZRDUS Black 65, 75
Project X HZRDUS Yellow 65, 75
Project X HZRDUS Red 65, 75
Aldila NV 2K XV Green 65, 75
Aldila NV 2k XV Blue 60, 70

Grip Choices
KING F9 Black Midsize
King F9 Blue Midsize
KING F9 Standard
REL Black
Crossline Black
Tour Velvet
UTX Black

Look at the options!!!!

Build Your Cobra KING F9 SpeedBack Driver

Ooh tough choice

I have found success with several 9* heads by lofting up to 10. For some reason the 10.5* heads don’t seem to work the same way, but it’s definitely between those two lofts.

Having not seen the heads in person I’m tempted to lean yellow over avalanche.

As far as shafts i would want something I haven’t tried so it’s between the helium, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue and Fuji TS Atmos Blue

Last edited:
Alright THP!! What do you guys think I'll be going with? I'm really curious to see whether my profile is visible enough for many to make selections for me. I know I've talked about my game plenty on here.

What's your guess?

Alright THP!! What do you guys think I'll be going with? I'm really curious to see whether my profile is visible enough for many to make selections for me. I know I've talked about my game plenty on here.

What's your guess?

9* head
Smoke 6.5
I think you are a utx guy.

What's your guess?

I have an idea but I’ll let others guess first

I am actually considering letting the forum pick the shaft for me from my three choices, could be fun

I have an idea but I’ll let others guess first

I am actually considering letting the forum pick the shaft for me from my three choices, could be fun

I vote you guess and we'll see who's right haha

I vote you guess and we'll see who's right haha

Lol ok I’ll go with

9* head in avalanche
Atmos TS Black 7
Tour velvet grip

Back