Bushnell Tour v4 Slope Edition Laser Rangefinder - THP Review Thread

The three winners have theirs on their way.

I think this is the one I am going to go with. Some decent deals to be had, and it seems a bit more compact than the TourX which sounds good to me. I also love that I can get the slope from my everyday rounds but it's still viable in tournaments with that mode shut off. The one thing that is tripping me up is the fact that with TourX you can alter between a red display and a black display, and I love the idea of the red display.... but do I cough up the extra 30 bucks AND tolerate the added size for it?

The decision WILL be made very soon.

I finally bit the bullet and paid GOOD money for a rangefinder. It arrived today and I think the compact size is fantastic.

For a while I really battled the TourX because of the readout options, but in the end I think I am more excited about the overall shape of the v4 and the features it has. Plus it came with a red soft cover which am sure I'll appreciate when I decide to be clumsy.

Now, to be patient while the weather fluctuates!!!!

I was fortunate enough to win a Bushnell Tour v4 slope on THP last spring and absolutely love it. It's a great size, extremely fast and has saved me more strokes than I can count. I can't recommend it enough.

I need a rangefinder in a bad way. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet on this one

I am in the market for a rangefinder and this seems to be one of the best that I have read about. The smaller size is a plus.

Three rounds in with the Tour V4 and I'm walking away a bit mixed on the experience.

Normally our course pins have the little dongle that sits on top of the flag and makes seeing the flag instantaneous with the Bushnell (it's really kind of awesome). Without them, it's a mixed bag of 'if I try really hard' and 'forget it, just hit the ground near it and pick a number' which I am kind of disappointed about. I spent well over a minute trying to hit the 15th hole from about 195 and never did get a real number to the pin. Weird.

With that said the speed it collects data is absolutely awesome when the pin has the little element on the top. I have become fascinated with the slope variable, although in quite a few places on my home course I am really surprised at the number (some down more than i thought, some up way less than I thought).

Looking forward to continuing to use it.

Three rounds in with the Tour V4 and I'm walking away a bit mixed on the experience.

Normally our course pins have the little dongle that sits on top of the flag and makes seeing the flag instantaneous with the Bushnell (it's really kind of awesome). Without them, it's a mixed bag of 'if I try really hard' and 'forget it, just hit the ground near it and pick a number' which I am kind of disappointed about. I spent well over a minute trying to hit the 15th hole from about 195 and never did get a real number to the pin. Weird.

With that said the speed it collects data is absolutely awesome when the pin has the little element on the top. I have become fascinated with the slope variable, although in quite a few places on my home course I am really surprised at the number (some down more than i thought, some up way less than I thought).

Anyone know if this is a common issue with the tour V4? I don't have this problem with the Tour X. None of the courses I play have the prism and have no issue shooting the flags.

Been looking at the Bushnell rangefinder and will read more reviews about the Tour V4, been using a Golf Buddy VS4 GPS but the battery died after about 18 months of usage. I have my SamSung Gear S3 watch I could use but I hate wearing anything on my wrist while golfing.

Anyone know if this is a common issue with the tour V4? I don't have this problem with the Tour X. None of the courses I play have the prism and have no issue shooting the flags.

Oh wow really? It really did surprise me when I couldn't get a read on a few occasions, as I look at bushnell as leading the quality charge in the rangefinder industry.

I'll have to get back out soon with my GolfBuddy LR5 and see which one handles the lack of prism better.

Played my first round with one of these last Saturday. I may be a bit naive because I've never had a rangefinder before, always relied on GPS, but this thing is amazing. I was worried it was going to slow me down, but that was't an issue at all. I was able to get distances super quickly, the jolt feature worked great and the slope yardage is awesome to have. It fits great in the hand also. I think my buddy fell in love it with it after about 3 holes as well, I don't know if I could go back to not having one now!

The slide scan feature really makes a difference on the Tour V4. Starting to the left of the pin and rolling across it seems to hit the flag better than aiming direct in the cases where I can't seem to generate a number on straight line. I am still a bit surprised that the straight line capture isn't worlds above the competition, but I do think the speed is, and that is what is important to me.

I'm also enjoying the slope feature quite a bit, although the numbers tend to surprise me more than anything. places where I club up aren't really showing the numbers I thought they would. It'll be really helpful for better understanding my course throughout the year, then taking that information gained into tournaments with the slope turned off.

Yeah, I've noticed that too with the slope feature. It's very rare that it changes the distance by anything more than a couple of yards. I wonder how accurate it really is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The slide scan feature really makes a difference on the Tour V4. Starting to the left of the pin and rolling across it seems to hit the flag better than aiming direct in the cases where I can't seem to generate a number on straight line. I am still a bit surprised that the straight line capture isn't worlds above the competition, but I do think the speed is, and that is what is important to me.

I'm also enjoying the slope feature quite a bit, although the numbers tend to surprise me more than anything. places where I club up aren't really showing the numbers I thought they would. It'll be really helpful for better understanding my course throughout the year, then taking that information gained into tournaments with the slope turned off.

I felt the exact same way with the slope when using it at Boulder. Sometimes i would think i need a full extra or less club but the slope difference is maybe 2 yards

I felt the exact same way with the slope when using it at Boulder. Sometimes i would think i need a full extra or less club but the slope difference is maybe 2 yards

I would be curious to see the number on #12 or #17 there. At my home course there are two holes where I take a half club extra at minimum to get to the hole, and the difference in yardage might me two or so on the V4. Really surprised me.

I don't have the slope edition but I won the regular V4 and it has been nothing short of fantastic. This being my first good rangefinder (Chinese unit before), I have not had any issues on picking up the flag and our course doesn't have those reflectors on top of the sticks either. Don't know if the slope feature complicates anything but my standard finder works just great even at long distances.

It also depends how you flight the ball. If you have a high ball flight with a steep angle of decent, the slope isn't going to have as much impact on the club you play.

I did have one hole this last round where the slope difference was around 10 yards, but most of the rest were in the 2-3 yard range.

Pardon my noob question here....but everyone is talking about the slope feature and turning it off in tournament play. How does someone know its turned off? As in officials or someone in charge of the tourney? Is this just a honor system thing?

Pardon my noob question here....but everyone is talking about the slope feature and turning it off in tournament play. How does someone know its turned off? As in officials or someone in charge of the tourney? Is this just a honor system thing?

Red faceplate means you have the slope on. Black faceplate means it's turned off.

Red faceplate means you have the slope on. Black faceplate means it's turned off.

So the black faceplate must cover a lens then?

So the black faceplate must cover a lens then?

Correct. Both actually do. The red plate has a little mini USB type connector that I assume activates the slope. Black faceplate, legal. Red faceplate, illegal.

Correct. Both actually do. The red plate has a little mini USB type connector that I assume activates the slope. Black faceplate, legal. Red faceplate, illegal.

Interesting! Thanks for the info! Always wondered how the hell will someone know lol

Back