Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

You guys make the anticipation harder and harder! I can't wait to get some swings with these, I don't have a lot of options but I am going to check out Dicks this coming week by me and hopefully swing this and a GBB for the first time!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Since we had several inches of snow today, I took some time to hit a bunch of clubs on the launch monitor indoors. Among them was the new Apex 16, which I hit extensively in combination with the XR Pros (which I had in the bag part of the season) and the original Apex. Honestly I did not see much difference in the launch/spin accuracy numbers for all three provided I was hitting the same shaft in each. I did get the best results out of all three with the stock Recoils which is interesting as I have always done better with steel in the past - must be the result of going with graphite in my current set.

The new fitter at the shop plays the original Apex and he said he has not seen enough improvement in his results with the 16 version to consider the change. He did say however that he had two recent fittings where the players moved from 714 AP2s to the new Apex 16 - one is about as dyed in the wool of a Titleist guy as you can imagine so I was surprised.

I'm going to golfsmith tomorrow. Need to see what these things are all about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I just hit these side by side with the apex pro with identical shafts. Both 7 irons. First few swings were crappy but after I started to find a groove I was sort of blown away by both clubs. For some reason my peak height with the pro's were a little higher (44 yards for the pros, 38 yards for the cf16) and the feel was better better with the pro's IMO, but the distance and dispersion with the CF16 were by far better. 186 avg carry for the cf16 vs 176 avg carry for the pro's. The cf16 just were incredibly easy to hit. I'm not sure the PX6.0 shaft is perfect for me, but it's a solid offering for sure

You probably need 6.5 or 7.0 in the PX.

You probably need 6.5 or 7.0 in the PX.

I don't think I would want to go stiffer. Then again, I would want to see the ball flight outside before making any real judgements

I don't think I would want to go stiffer. Then again, I would want to see the ball flight outside before making any real judgements

The outside would be key. I ordered mine with 6.0. I hit some other irons with pxi 6.5 and while lighter than PX I didn't see/feel any issues goin up to that stiffness. The great thing is you will have the experts fit you in less than 2 months and get you all dialed in

I'm going to golfsmith tomorrow. Need to see what these things are all about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My advice to you would be don't over swing. Make nice smooth swings and the club will do the work. The face is extremely hot on this club

My advice to you would be don't over swing. Make nice smooth swings and the club will do the work. The face is extremely hot on this club

This has been my thinking as of lately. Trying to overseeing anything. Just make a nice smooth swing and let the club do the work. You don't get nearly as tired either!

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

Talked with David my instructor and fitter at the AA and they really don't have much at all in the cart. No graphite at all. Seems really odd that Anikka's home place would have less than the PGA SS. I guess having the name and the premier fitting place in Orlando makes no difference.

Ok, this is going to seem nit-picky but one complaint I have with my XRs (and similar "hot" irons) is that I like chipping with 9i/Pw when I have a lot of green especially contoured greens, uphill, etc. I simply can't grove a chip with these puppies compared to my old MP-52s. Has anyone investigated how distance designed irons work for partial shot controlled distances and things like chipping?

Ok, this is going to seem nit-picky but one complaint I have with my XRs (and similar "hot" irons) is that I like chipping with 9i/Pw when I have a lot of green especially contoured greens, uphill, etc. I simply can't grove a chip with these puppies compared to my old MP-52s. Has anyone investigated how distance designed irons work for partial shot controlled distances and things like chipping?
While I haven't done any investigating of sort, I've played a lot with the Apex over the last 2 years and like to use the 9 iron for bump and runs a lot. I haven't found it to be a problem at all to control distance or anything of the sorts. Besides subjective feel and what not, I'd have a hard time trying to find hard evidence that a "distance" iron reacts differently on a chip than a more muscley type of club. Maybe it's loft differences, maybe it's sole design, maybe it's the Indian, but I don't think the distance design has much to do with that aspect.

But, I've been wrong before.

I finally laid eyes on these in person today and man they look amazing! Can't wait to hit them

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe my delay in ordering is making me waver. Maybe it was a great session with my XR Pros. I am seeing similar distances to the CF 16 so a purchase would be about feel so I am wondering if an upgrade is necessary.

You will see Luke Williams on Thursday, something tells me the ponder will be back on again.

Talked with David my instructor and fitter at the AA and they really don't have much at all in the cart. No graphite at all. Seems really odd that Anikka's home place would have less than the PGA SS. I guess having the name and the premier fitting place in Orlando makes no difference.
I see this changing in the near future

My dad hits what I give him. I think I see a set of these in his bag before the end of the year. Start the new year out right with callaway in the Kong's bags.

Dave is trying to get things going and switching out all the 6 iron fitting stuff for 7 iron, so that will take him several weeks to do.

Maybe my delay in ordering is making me waver. Maybe it was a great session with my XR Pros. I am seeing similar distances to the CF 16 so a purchase would be about feel so I am wondering if an upgrade is necessary.

My same exact experience. I'm going to wait until I see and hit the long and short irons before I make my final decision though.

I cannot get these out of my head. Didn't get a chance to go to Golfsmith yesterday, but I will be going at some point soon

These irons are pretty unreal. I was hitting 7 iron 20 yards further at Golfsmith simulator . But this is misleading cause sim said I was carrying it 160-163 but rolling out to 170-178 which would never happen in real life. But it was 5-7 yards clearly longer than my old apex irons.

These clubs feel nothing like old Apex irons. The face feels super hot and much more firm like more of a cast club. They feel amazingly solid . I thought the sim was jacked up so I went and got old 7 iron to compare with. The new Apex do go 5-7 yards further. So either the face truly is hotter por the new irons are delofted by 1-2 degrees.

after hitting them I will prob be ordering these irons but my only hesitation is the feel of the face feels somewhere between forged and cast and I'm used to forged soft feel.

These irons are pretty unreal. I was hitting 7 iron 20 yards further at Golfsmith simulator . But this is misleading cause sim said I was carrying it 160-163 but rolling out to 170-178 which would never happen in real life. But it was 5-7 yards clearly longer than my old apex irons.

These clubs feel nothing like old Apex irons. The face feels super hot and much more firm like more of a cast club. They feel amazingly solid . I thought the sim was jacked up so I went and got old 7 iron to compare with. The new Apex do go 5-7 yards further. So either the face truly is hotter por the new irons are delofted by 1-2 degrees.

after hitting them I will prob be ordering these irons but my only hesitation is the feel of the face feels somewhere between forged and cast and I'm used to forged soft feel.

I know this is not the case as they have the EXACT same length of shaft and lofts as the 2014 Apex do. There might be something to the Cup Face technology after all.

I know this is not the case as they have the EXACT same length of shaft and lofts as the 2014 Apex do. There might be something to the Cup Face technology after all.

Yup. Cup face and weight movement seem to have made a difference. It sounds like higher swing speed players might see bigger distance jumps than someone like myself, in the irons with the CF. I wasn't planning on it, but find myself in crazy-serious pondering, right now.

To each there own and new shiny things are fun, but it seems like a good bit of coin just for feel. And see the feedback from another member about these being firmer than the original Apex. If true, that may translate into a nominal feel difference vs. your XR Pros.

After a phone call from my parents today, and mention of a mysterious inheritance coming my way, a set of these may just be in my future come springtime.

To think I could finally use my Apex head covers on proper Apex irons lol.

Back