Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

these are definitely better looking than the pro's, but I think overall i like the looks of the previous generation better.

Me likey

Really like what they did with these. Look great in hand.

The first time we saw these a couple of months ago we both loved them in person. Once you test them out they just seem to offer so much. Same fantastic feel with a great blend of distance and forgiveness.

Will be interesting to see how these sound and feel as the cup face has provided a unique sound and feel on the other irons it was featured on.
You think so? Thought it was pretty standard on the xrp I've been playing compare to other sets. Nothing like the TM slotted irons and their sounds.

So.. I am excited about these. From the pictures they look maybe a tad smaller than the original Apex, which is fine, but the same Satin finish and it looks amazing. Cup face in the long irons is a genius idea, and I am glad they were able to implement it in a forged head.

The biggest thing I will be paying attention to is the difference in sound (if any) between the short and long irons due to the cup face.

I can see 5-GW making it into my bag, with recoils or some Tour Vs probably.

The first time we saw these a couple of months ago we both loved them in person. Once you test them out they just seem to offer so much. Same fantastic feel with a great blend of distance and forgiveness.

And stock UTX grip means I don't have to change grips to play them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So.. I am excited about these. From the pictures they look maybe a tad smaller than the original Apex, which is fine, but the same Satin finish and it looks amazing. Cup face in the long irons is a genius idea, and I am glad they were able to implement it in a forged head.

The biggest thing I will be paying attention to is the difference in sound (if any) between the short and long irons due to the cup face.

I can see 5-GW making it into my bag, with recoils or some Tour Vs probably.

When I get back to the office I will take pictures of the two irons (old and new) side by side for you.

Really liking the looks of these! Cup face too?
Will be looking to hit these!

These irons look great in person, and the technology works. Callaway JROD had these in the bag and according to him they're like cheating. Need to figure out a way to upgrade...

Good thing I'm already gaming the Apex irons, else I'd feel like I need to upgrade tomorrow. Those look sweet, and the idea that they've somehow improved on the Apex seems almost impossible.

That price tag, tho...

As a higher handicap player(17) what player are these geared towards? I game the rsi1 at the moment and have never hit a callaway iron in my life. Excited to give them a shot in December as they look incredible

I just had the thought of maybe just buying individual 6 and 7 iron from the new set with the Cup Faces to play along with the 8 and down of my current Apex set (since I go down to a 5 hybrid). The extra distance with these two clubs could close/reduce the gap between 5 hybrid and 6 iron and provide some nice benefits for the two irons I have more trouble with than down the line...an old Apex/new Apex combo set if the lofts match up ok.

I like this idea.

No.

I love this idea.

So glad they kept that matte looking finish on the apex, love that. Some of that sole design looks similar to the VR, kind of like a great mix of VR and previous Apex. I can't wait to hear how they perform.

As a higher handicap player(17) what player are these geared towards? I game the rsi1 at the moment and have never hit a callaway iron in my life. Excited to give them a shot in December as they look incredible

They pack a lot of forgiveness, but Callaway also offers more forgiving irons than these. I would say these are GI. I imagine they are going to be a bit smaller than the RSi1.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say I don't prefer the looks compared to the older Apex and Apex Pro, but that being said, they still look pretty good. And if they perform better than the Apex line, I'm DEFINITELY intrigued, aesthetics be damned.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I also noticed they went with UTX grips on these... Good choice as their stock grip has been notoriously bad.

They pack a lot of forgiveness, but Callaway also offers more forgiving irons than these. I would say these are GI. I imagine they are going to be a bit smaller than the RSi1.

They definitely seem a bit smaller than the RSi1's in person, but I'd need to see them side by side. I'm guessing it'll be noticeable, but not massive. Probably somewhere in between the RSi1's and 2's. Should have a good amount of forgiveness, but like TexasHacker said, they aren't going to be the most forgiving option Callaway puts out. I'd say they are 100% worth checking out during your fitting in December.

I'm going to throw daggers with these in December.

I also noticed they went with UTX grips on these... Good choice as their stock grip has been notoriously bad.
I always like to see this.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I'm so torn. I prefer the look of the CF 16, but like the finish far more on the Apex Pro 16 Forged.

I'm so torn. I prefer the look of the CF 16, but like the finish far more on the Apex Pro 16 Forged.
Cup Face. Always go cup face.

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Preview

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Preview

These are going to be very fun to hit. With the level of approval that the previous Apex received, to have improvements plus the Cup Face, these have the potential to be ridiculous. Love the looks and like how they haven't strayed too far.

Like a few others mentioned, I'll be curious if the sound/feel changes on the Cup Face clubs. Just the thought of Apex forged with even more forgiveness....awesome!

I am not sure if anyone has seen this yet.

[video=youtube;Xj7-37y-sqo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj7-37y-sqo[/video]

Back