Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

Playing my first round now 6holes in holy long irons and so forgiving

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

How high are they launching for you? The cup face is really good stuff.

still want these in a big way. not sure what shaft though. will probably be a competition between these and cobra forged tec. I think I've gotten over my blade or players CB lust as i admit to just how often I miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

still want these in a big way. not sure what shaft though. will probably be a competition between these and cobra forged tec. I think I've gotten over my blade or players CB lust as i admit to just how often I miss.

I can tell you I have missed a few times today and it normally would have been out of play today I have barely missed the green . my swing is awful today but I am still managing to put something together which is nice

For me the thin miss is still the most impressive thing so far. My miss with my irons is thin and towards the toe and these irons really show how forgiving they are with that miss

Playing my first round now 6holes in holy long irons and so forgiving

sounds like someone is having fun

For me the thin miss is still the most impressive thing so far. My miss with my irons is thin and towards the toe and these irons really show how forgiving they are with that miss

It truly is. I have hit several on the range and during play and just laugh at the result because you would think it was from a good shot.

Alright so here are my quick thoughts I don't want to go to in depth until I at least get on the range and another round or two but initial impressions.

The 4-7 irons may be the best long and mid irons I have hit. They fly forever are super forgiving and look pretty good.

The 8-pw I really struggle with. They launch MUCH higher for me and spin way more (respectively compared to the cup face irons) as well. While I think on calm days this will be fine it was rather windy today so I was struggling with it.

I have to say in the end it leaves me wondering if I should have gone with a combo set of apexs and pros. I am going to give it a bit more time and will keep updating my thoughts. The long irons are so so good I really am amazed by that.

I have to say in the end it leaves me wondering if I should have gone with a combo set of apexs and pros. I am going to give it a bit more time and will keep updating my thoughts. The long irons are so so good I really am amazed by that.

based on my own short side by side testing, the only way I could see a combo set working is if you double up some irons, like 4-7 cf and 7-pw pro. otherwise I would think the distance gap between the shortest cf and longest pro would be very difficult to manage. I don't flight my irons unless I have an obstacle; I'd rather manage wind with clubbing up and/or choking up.

Harry Arnett's famous words. 85% of the technology in these clubs are in that first groove

Alright so here are my quick thoughts I don't want to go to in depth until I at least get on the range and another round or two but initial impressions.

The 4-7 irons may be the best long and mid irons I have hit. They fly forever are super forgiving and look pretty good.

The 8-pw I really struggle with. They launch MUCH higher for me and spin way more (respectively compared to the cup face irons) as well. While I think on calm days this will be fine it was rather windy today so I was struggling with it.

If the 8 iron is spinning too much for you in the CF then the Apex Pro will be worse. At least from what I saw during my fitting. And I wasn't the only one it happened to

Harry Arnett's famous words. 85% of the technology in these clubs are in that first groove

I believe it, especially with the long irons. Hit a thin six iron that went a total of a 180 yards, but looked like a good shot. The 8-AW are very similar to last years irons though. Smaller, but with a bit more forgiveness.

If the 8 iron is spinning too much for you in the CF then the Apex Pro will be worse. At least from what I saw during my fitting. And I wasn't the only one it happened to
That is interesting would have never expected that good to know though. I am chalking today up to swing issues and hoping tomorrow goes better.

That is interesting would have never expected that good to know though. I am chalking today up to swing issues and hoping tomorrow goes better.

Well the Apex Pro's are definitely a players iron. More for shot shaping. Thus the higher spin

Did you try and flight them down any or did they just spin too much period? I'm a low ball hitter so could use the extra height.

Did you try and flight them down any or did they just spin too much period? I'm a low ball hitter so could use the extra height.
Not much honestly was just trying to get a feel for them. That said I want to give them a fair shot.

Disclaimer on all this I am incredibility steep (among other faults) so I spin and launch everything high which is why I am not fully putting stock in one day (some days are worse than others) it is an adjustment period and I intend to give them a true workout.

Not much honestly was just trying to get a feel for them. That said I want to give them a fair shot.

Disclaimer on all this I am incredibility steep (among other faults) so I spin and launch everything high which is why I am not fully putting stock in one day (some days are worse than others) it is an adjustment period and I intend to give them a true workout.

I found that clubbing up worked better for me than trying to flight it down, in a good strong headwind the 6 gives me just as fast of a drop and stop approach as the 8 on a calm day

I was working on some knock down shots at the range the other day. I was able to take height off and while it may still be higher than some other irons I played I was happy with the height from these on those types of shots

Looking forward to your thoughts tomorrow ron. Definitely dont think knocking down scoring irons is the way to go on normal shots especially with so many suitable iron offerings out there.

That being said i love me high launch and long distances...need to try these

Last edited:
Looking forward to your thoughts tomorrow ron. Definitely dont think knocking down scoring irons is the way to go on normal shots especially with so many suitable iron offerings out there.

That being said i love me high launch and long distances...need to try these

If I ever make it out to one of the weekly Ohio outings you're more then welcome to try mine out.

If I ever make it out to one of the weekly Ohio outings you're more then welcome to try mine out.

Sounds like a plan to me

Well the Apex Pro's are definitely a players iron. More for shot shaping. Thus the higher spin
Bingo Phil.

I spun the pros like tops. They're true players irons, not like the xr pros, I think the name and look confuses some. As such, they will spin more.

Good stuff LB.

I can't wait to be able to contribute to this thread. Hopefully in the next 10 days or so :D

No issues through 10 holes today thus far with the 8-pw amazing what the results are if you put a good swing on the ball. Got to keep in my mind it is not always the equipments fault for not fixing a swing fault.

No issues through 10 holes today thus far with the 8-pw amazing what the results are if you put a good swing on the ball. Got to keep in my mind it is not always the equipments fault for not fixing a swing fault.

This is great to hear

Back