Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

I did not notice anything, but some people have had the plastic peice fall off, could it cause the sound difference?

I think that was only in the Pro model. I can't recall anyone saying the polymer fell out of their regular Apex.

I hit these irons so well and the feeling is so great that I took out my 21* hybrid and put the 4-iron back in the bag. Lovin' these Apex irons! Friend of mine hit them and really, really liked them but Callaway Pre-owned at the time only had single irons, no sets. He ended up with the Big Bertha's!

Pulled my UST Recoil 95's out of my G30's last night. They are now in my Apex's drying. Looking forward to taking the Apex's back to the course with these shafts in them.

another round of good ball striking with these. just finished putting a fresh set of grips on them so I'm looking forward to a great weekend at Old Silo!

Played my first real round (on the course, not a simulator) with these today since I've swapped out the XP95's for the Recoil 670's. Throwing darts!!!

Last hole had the pin on the left side, tucked behind a bunker. Was feeling frisky, so I took dead aim. Dropped it in just over a yard behind the hole, and the slope brought it back about 3 yards. Made the birdie put and had a huge smile on my face all the way home.

LOVE LOVE LOVE these with the Recoils!!

Oh, and I gotta throw some love out for the Big Bertha too. Cut it down 1", and it's awesome too! :)

Tapa tapa tapa

Last edited:
Picked up a set of Apex with the Recoil 660 shafts and played my first round with them yesterday. Man was I blown away by these clubs. I went out expecting to dislike them like the X Hot Pros and X Hots that I tried last year but was surprised by how well they felt. I ended up shooting my best score of the year so far. I can't wait to get in another round with them now.

Apex + C-Tapers are heavenly. My goodness.

So I have 3 sessions (2 rounds, 1 range) under my belt with the Ape/Recoil 680 combo so far, and I am puzzled.

Last night I had shots on the same hole 2 times. 140 yards into the wind. Needing to carry 120 yards to get over a creek/retaining wall. Both times through, I pull 7 iron, think I put a good solid swing on it....... and have it go 115 yards total.

Same thing on a little par 3. 128 yards, into the wind. 9 iron the first time, 7 iron the 2nd..... both times way short.

I don't know if it is a setup thing, a club/shaft mismatch for me, or just a combination of wind/poor swing.

I keep wondering if it is just a bad setup for me, but then I will hit an absolutely gorgeous shot/combo of shots. So unsure what is going on.

Finally had a chance over the last week to spend some quality time with my Apex irons and they continue to impress me.

Love the sound and feel of the ball off the club. Distance lost from mishits is minimal and really love hitting these irons.

I have toyed with the idea of hitting the XR Pro Irons but I can't see a reason to mess around right now.

Had to drop my son off to work at the local driving range. My bag was at my club but I felt like hitting some balls so I grabbed the Apex 6i with KBS Tour stiff and the AP2 6i with the same shaft. Hit 30 balls with each. Absolutely no comparison. Apex was longer, higher and straighter. Also better feel. I love my Apex Pros but could also happily bag the standard Apex.

Apex + C-Tapers are heavenly. My goodness.

I want to try this combo so bad!! I love my flighted 95's but I hear the C-tapers are somethin else...

I want to try this combo so bad!! I love my flighted 95's but I hear the C-tapers are somethin else...
Man not sure if those two shafts could be more opposite in all aspects. I needed something low to compliment the head and saw great results with the c Tapers into the wind last time out.

Man not sure if those two shafts could be more opposite in all aspects. I needed something low to compliment the head and saw great results with the c Tapers into the wind last time out.

Ha, you're right, I'm thinking of the C-Taper Lites.....

Changing Grips Callaway APEX

Changing Grips Callaway APEX

Thinking to change the stock regular grips to my APEX for the Golf Pride grips, anyone has experience in this change with the Apex ? In the case how it was ? felt any difference ?

Thanks !

Thinking to change the stock regular grips to my APEX for the Golf Pride grips, anyone has experience in this change with the Apex ? In the case how it was ? felt any difference ?

Thanks !

I know quite a few who have changed their grips. Grips are all personal choice. Unless you go to something that's really going to absorb vibrations, you probably won't notice a big night and day different. Esp if you are staying with a rubber grip like the Tour Velvet.

Thanks !

Changed from stock to REL's and played them for the first time last weekend. really only noticed more tackiness thus far.

I personally never think about stock grip, I will cut them and replace them with my grip of choice the second I get a new club.

grips can feel different than another grip in the hands, but I dont think you would notice it while swinging the club.

Another round tonight with the Apex. I really need to get some SC100 time in so I can get some yardages in the books.

I personally never think about stock grip, I will cut them and replace them with my grip of choice the second I get a new club.

grips can feel different than another grip in the hands, but I dont think you would notice it while swinging the club.

Agreed. I almost always strip the grips off everything I get. The lone exception are these Apex right now, trying to stick with the grips that are on it right now because the aftermarket grips on them are better than the ones I have kicking around right now LOL.

I have been in love with the Nike VR Pro Combos, but cannot get over the distance and feel of the Apex

I spent an hour in the hitting bay the other day with a 6i Apex w/ the recoils and was consistently carrying it 177-180 straight or with a baby draw

For me, that's a long 6i, and the feeling is intoxicating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure that the Apex with Recoil 680 experiment is over for me. I was seduced by them, love the look, and the initial head to head was great for me..... it just is not translating to on course success.

The fade that I thought I was rid of has reappeared.... but when it comes back it also ends up with a dramatic distance loss for me.

Hopefully I can move them to a good home here locally. As much as I hate to get rid of them so early, they just have not worked out for me :(

Got in a round today with the newly reshafted Apex with KBS C-Taper S+ (soft stepped 1x). Playing an inch over standard based on prior setup and SS1x but I don't feel it at all one bit. They are longer, a great ball flight with ample stopping power on the greens, fantastic feel and everything I want in an iron. It's rekindled the love that I had for these last year, but with a better shaft pairing for me. Watch out pins right now.

Love it Tyler, glad you're enjoying them dude.

Love it Tyler, glad you're enjoying them dude.

If it weren't for the immediate success of this combo for me, I was prepared to move to the XR Pros. Still am. But I'm seeing more distance over last year already from this combination (in 50* weather) and just absolutely adore these iron heads and the story behind them for me.

Got in a round today with the newly reshafted Apex with KBS C-Taper S+ (soft stepped 1x). Playing an inch over standard based on prior setup and SS1x but I don't feel it at all one bit. They are longer, a great ball flight with ample stopping power on the greens, fantastic feel and everything I want in an iron. It's rekindled the love that I had for these last year, but with a better shaft pairing for me. Watch out pins right now.
Curious... why you are playing an inch long?

Back