Callaway Apex Pro 16 Irons Review Thread

Interesting to me that they went with the chrome finish on these. I know a lot of people had been asking for an X-Forged type iron, and this looks much more like that. I will hit them in December, but I enjoy the forgiveness that standard size offers (Or at least I did in '13).

Same as last apex models. Hosel on apex, on the head on the pros.

this is true, if not really an answer for why, but it was still much more understated on the last model. I don't know, just feel as if it almost stands out more than the "Apex Pro" name, which to me seems like something you wouldn't want. Anyway, not looking to detract from the thread, just my opinion.

Very interesting to see the transition from Tour V to Project X on this one.

As far as the looks go, they look good. Glad to see the polished finish with how awful the satin wears.

this is true, if not really an answer for why, but it was still much more understated on the last model. I don't know, just feel as if it almost stands out more than the "Apex Pro" name, which to me seems like something you wouldn't want. Anyway, not looking to detract from the thread, just my opinion.

To me it's less about the number of words, but how they are placed, the size, and the rest of the badging

Not a big fan of chrome or the back. Never see the back anyway while hitting them so that isn't a big deal. TourV stock sadness for me...really enjoy that shaft.

Looking forward to some swings.

Not a big fan of chrome or the back. Never see the back anyway while hitting them so that isn't a big deal. TourV stock sadness for me...really enjoy that shaft.

Looking forward to some swings.

Looks like there are a bunch of no charge shaft options. Tour V could very well be in there.

Looks like there are a bunch of no charge shaft options. Tour V could very well be in there.
Bet your right. They know their stuff so probably a better overall match for the masses.

Last edited:
They sure are pretty to look at, that's for sure!

Very interesting to see the transition from Tour V to Project X on this one.

As far as the looks go, they look good. Glad to see the polished finish with how awful the satin wears.
Its funny, the satin on the pros last time had the major wear issues but the standards were all pretty much ok. Def makes sense to move the pros to a differentiating polished look too. Bet they look sweet in the bag.

Its funny, the satin on the pros last time had the major wear issues but the standards were all pretty much ok. Def makes sense to move the pros to a differentiating polished look too. Bet they look sweet in the bag.

You are right about the standard heads not having issues... I just remember owning a set of the pros that looked BEAT down. Same for XR Pros.

Leaves me optimistic that the '16 Apex are going to be clean again.

Callaway Apex Pro 16 Irons Preview

Callaway Apex Pro 16 Irons Preview

Hello gorgeous! Really excited to learn more.

They look so forgiving, definitely am going to withhold any judgment until I get a chance to have them in hand.

You are right about the standard heads not having issues... I just remember owning a set of the pros that looked BEAT down. Same for XR Pros.

Agreed, the pros wore terribly.

Not gonna sugar coat it, I don't like the looks at all compared to the last Apex Pro. But I definitely want to swing them and see what the performance is like.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I really like to the look of them and really like the chrome finish.

If I am understanding things correctly, there is another difference, which is basically that the regular Apex have a forged body, but the cup face is welded on, where the Pro is a fully forged club, so while they are both "forged", the pro is closer to what you probably think of when you think of forged irons. If I had to guess, people bending the clubs would appreciate knowing the body and hosel are forged (hey, put it on the hosel in case they have any doubt) on the regular Apex, allowing them to be bent more than a cast iron, but they didn't want the main thing you read on the badge of the club to be "Forged", because some might get confused.

There doesn't seem like much of anything new technology wise with this release. I like the progressive sole, but otherwise I'm not seeing much reason to own these over the originals unless you really prefer one finish to another. Maybe that's what an OEM does when they have a winner, but to me is seems like an unecessary / underwhelming release.

I didn't see it. Do these have the Cup Face as well?

I admit at first I wasn't feeling the looks of these compared to last year's model. But now I kind of dig these,cannot wait to give these a strike

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I didn't see it. Do these have the Cup Face as well?
The review doesn't mention it and the name omits the "cf" designation, so I don't think so.

If these did have CF there's no doubt which set im choosing

Agreed, the pros wore terribly.

What did you two do to beat the pros up? I've got 2 seasons on mine and they look good. Is there wear? Yes, but they aren't beat up.

I clean and cover mine so maybe that's part of it but I wouldn't say they've worn poorly.

My biggest issue is the black dampening material falling out of most of mine. Although, that's all for looks as they feel no different without the black piece in the back.

The review doesn't mention it and the name omits the "cf" designation, so I don't think so.

Cup face isn't in these irons. Cup face is also only in the 3-7 irons of the Apex CF.

What did you two do to beat the pros up? I've got 2 seasons on mine and they look good. Is there wear? Yes, but they aren't beat up.

I clean and cover mine so maybe that's part of it but I wouldn't say they've worn poorly.

My biggest issue is the black dampening material falling out of most of mine. Although, that's all for looks as they feel no different without the black piece in the back.
It was a widespread issue. But, it's been addressed, and imo the move to polished on the pros is a good one for sure.

It was a widespread issue. But, it's been addressed, and imo the move to polished on the pros is a good one for sure.

I like matte a lot more but understand them doing this.

If wear was a major issue, then they had to do something. The polished look also differentiates the two models which is a smart move IMO

It was posted in the Apex CF16 but all Steel shafts and select graphite shafts are available at no upcharge.

Back