Callaway Apex Pro Series Irons

Settling in a bit with the pros in the second round with them. They're in that sweet spot I like in an iron - there's enough forgiveness where I don't feel scared pulling a 5i, but they have a predictable flight/spin profile. They remind me a lot of the i series irons I've played in the past. Wasn't my best day ball striking but my misses were just short of or on the front of the green. Very playable. And feel much, much more solid than the P770 I am coming from.

Looking forward to getting some more rounds in with them.

I was thinking hard about a 5H to replace the Apex Pro 5i but no need. This setup is going to take me places I didn’t think I could get to

I was thinking hard about a 5H to replace the Apex Pro 5i but no need. This setup is going to take me places I didn’t think I could get to
The Pro long irons inspire so much confidence.

1000064827.jpg

Pulling out my old CB set for a round today. It's been more than a while. Should be interesting.

Got the Pro/CB combo with Recoil Darts out on the course for the first time this morning. Weather was too good to pass up. After some rainy wet weeks, took me a few holes to get back into my swing, but once I did these were a lot of fun. Feel really comfortable with the 8i now, which I was struggling with on the Pros. Had really good distance control on a few shots today. Hit a few extra shots because the course was wide open, and on 9 from 150 out put it pin high about 10 feet left with the 8i. Felt really good. Hit one with the 9i that I hit well, just had the par teed up a bit too high on a par 3. Still a great strike. Was pulling the 10i a bit left today, but these were on partial shots, so may just need to adjust a bit.

The Pros continue to shine. Hit the 4i off the tee, and striped 2 of them, and the other opened it up a bit, but still very playable. Had a pin high shot, pulled a bit left, with my 7i, but the contact was clean. But the highlight is shown below. Hit 2 6i's back to back on a 167 yard par 3. First one is pin high, 10 feet right. The other went a bit past the hole, but on a very good line. If I can get to this distance from the pin with my 6i throughout the season, I'm going to be very happy.

Overall, I think this combo is going to work well. When you go after the CB's, and hit your shot, you are rewarded with a fantastic feel, and great ball flight. I'm not seeing any distance lose compared to the Pros, nor my old gamers. I think the CB's will slot in very well. The Pros are fun clubs, especially on long approaches. I think the improvement I'm seeing in turf interaction from the Pros to the CB's is going to help me a lot. I never got comfortable with the 8i/9i in the Pros, but I've already gained confidence in my first round out with the CB 8i and 9i.

1000000393.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know if I'll ever  really trust all the numbers on my monitor in the garage, but seeing 126 ball speed from the Pro 4i was pretty nice with how short I've been hitting everything lately.

I don't know if I'll ever  really trust all the numbers on my monitor in the garage, but seeing 126 ball speed from the Pro 4i was pretty nice with how short I've been hitting everything lately.
How did you like the 4i on round Sunday?

My gosh I love this Apex Pro 5i. From sound, to feel, to performance it is just that good. I have always struggled to hit longer irons but I have been very impressed with it so far. At set up it exudes confidence!!!

My gosh I love this Apex Pro 5i. From sound, to feel, to performance it is just that good. I have always struggled to hit longer irons but I have been very impressed with it so far. At set up it exudes confidence!!!
The 5i was consideration for me to just get a hybrid but I'm so glad I didn't.

So let’s talk about GIR which ultimately are reflected by the set of irons that you have in play. If you followed along or have played a round with me in the past you know that I’ve struggled with GIR and there relied on my short game to keep scores somewhat respectable. I pulled some statistics from 2023 where I had a different set of irons in play versus what I am gaming now. What you will see is I couldn’t tell you where a shot would end up. Misses all over the place.
IMG_3086.jpeg

Let’s fast forward to end of 2023 and the start of 2024. The Apex Pro/CB combo and lessons have elevated my confidence when faced with second shots into the green. Being able to work the ball in either direction with these have been fun and the results are showing. My GIR have increased drastically along with consistency.

IMG_3084.jpeg

My last round out GIR were 6/9 with two of my misses totaling just 7’ ft from the green and just off the fringe.

I can’t wait to see where I sit at the end of the year!

So let’s talk about GIR which ultimately are reflected by the set of irons that you have in play. If you followed along or have played a round with me in the past you know that I’ve struggled with GIR and there relied on my short game to keep scores somewhat respectable. I pulled some statistics from 2023 where I had a different set of irons in play versus what I am gaming now. What you will see is I couldn’t tell you where a shot would end up. Misses all over the place.
View attachment 9258431

Let’s fast forward to end of 2023 and the start of 2024. The Apex Pro/CB combo and lessons have elevated my confidence when faced with second shots into the green. Being able to work the ball in either direction with these have been fun and the results are showing. My GIR have increased drastically along with consistency.

View attachment 9258432

My last round out GIR were 6/9 with two of my misses totaling just 7’ ft from the green and just off the fringe.

I can’t wait to see where I sit at the end of the year!
Wow, that's a great increase! It's nice that you have eliminated one side of the green too, and can adjust accordingly to that right miss. Love seeing data to back up how I feel about a set!

Man, I finally saw the things I wanted to do out of my CB’s and MB 11i this week at Briggs and it carried over today at my home course.

Biggest thing is dialing in the gapping consistency and adjusting the lofts checked that box. The Dart 105 F5’s play fantastic in them as well and I’ve sacrificed nothing thusfar.

I’m pleased.

And again, the utilities are CRIMINALLY under talked about.

I want to gush about the UTs... I just have not connected well with them so far. The UW has outshined it as of now... once the season kicks off and i get more swings I am hoping it levels out a bit!!

Wow, that's a great increase! It's nice that you have eliminated one side of the green too, and can adjust accordingly to that right miss. Love seeing data to back up how I feel about a set!
I am definitely excited and have noticed the difference. The subset of data is not as large as an entire year but that isn’t getting me down. This last time out my partner said dude you can’t miss with your Apex irons.

Man, I finally saw the things I wanted to do out of my CB’s and MB 11i this week at Briggs and it carried over today at my home course.

Biggest thing is dialing in the gapping consistency and adjusting the lofts checked that box. The Dart 105 F5’s play fantastic in them as well and I’ve sacrificed nothing thusfar.

I’m pleased.
Dialing in that gapping consistency is key. I wasn’t guessing what club to pull and that equates to the amount of work I have been doing on the SIM to dial these in.

I want to gush about the UTs... I just have not connected well with them so far. The UW has outshined it as of now... once the season kicks off and i get more swings I am hoping it levels out a bit!!
I definitely get that, the UW is just easier for most all around, it’s a bit of a cheater stick imo, so good.

I hit Dan’s 16 UT Surprisingly airborne on the range, but I don’t have the bravery to play that hahaha

I definitely get that, the UW is just easier for most all around, it’s a bit of a cheater stick imo, so good.

I hit Dan’s 16 UT Surprisingly airborne on the range, but I don’t have the bravery to play that hahaha
I was in awe of th way @Canadan hit his UT at the GD....I just havent been able to follow suite just yet. With some practice it will come. I hope

Dialing in that gapping consistency is key. I wasn’t guessing what club to pull and that equates to the amount of work I have been doing on the SIM to dial these in.
It’s funny because my loft gapping would drive the consistent and equal loft separation crowd BONKERS.

I've been in a bit of a holding pattern based on my swing, but I've unlocked some crazy potential on them while putting a good move on the ball.

16 degrees though.. the window of quality contact opportunity is quite teeny weeny haha

It’s funny because my loft gapping would drive the consistent and equal loft separation crowd BONKERS.
Stop it. 😂

I've been in a bit of a holding pattern based on my swing, but I've unlocked some crazy potential on them while putting a good move on the ball.

16 degrees though.. the window of quality contact opportunity is quite teeny weeny haha
But it’s a damn rocket ship when hit!

I’m pleased.
I can't make up my mind between the 18° UT or the CB 11 next. No clue what shaft I would go with in the 2i. For some reason kind of leaning Ventus Blue?

With the 11, I have the 10 bent one strong. Leaving the 11 stock at 50° fills the gap between the now 45° 10i and my 56° wedge better I feel like.

Back