Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Double Black Diamond Driver Review Thread

So 5g didn't actually increase COR in any real way? That's how I read that at least.

On the same side, there is a 30g weight with the 3w. I wonder what that would do to this head. Or even fit

So 5g didn't actually increase COR in any real way? That's how I read that at least.

On the same side, there is a 30g weight with the 3w. I wonder what that would do to this head.
Wishon said the COR never changes. The springiness of the face is fixed

Force = mass x acceleration

But increasing the mass (weight) of the head by a few grams does not impact force enough to increase ballspeed.

He says in order to increase mass to the point where it would impact ball speed, you would sacrifice the acceleration aka club head speed and thus there would be no real gains

So I finally got my numbers from my testing with this club. I'm just going to post averages right now as time is short. I hope to post the full table tomorrow if I find the time.

9° head, core up, weights in a fade bias. Project X LZ Handcrafted shaft (7.0 flex)

Average club head speed: 109.1mph
Avg ball speed: 158.2mph
Avg launch angle: 12.0°
Avg spin: 2528

I'll post some more thoughts tomorrow!

Gamed this one yesterday in Tampa... Hit it pretty well. A couple bombs (for me) and kept it in front of me most of the day.. Best sounding driver out there!!

My Fujikura Speeder 7.1 x is bombing it 'solid' @ 46, D5.5. This shaft has some heft with the length and SW / 77g. I am finding a nice smooth wide turn delivers medium trajectoty bombs. shots into the wind penetrate, like the wind is not a factor, one I laser-ed was to end up 280yrds. The 7.1 Speeder is tight dispersion by design, has a little more mid flex/kick that the 7.2. Its a good set up, yet I still have medium trajectory. All Fuji is good!, the fuel 70x TS is also a fav of mine

Have any of you hit the 757 Evo?

My Fujikura Speeder 7.1 x is bombing it 'solid' @ 46, D5.5. This shaft has some heft with the length and SW / 77g. I am finding a nice smooth wide turn delivers medium trajectoty bombs. shots into the wind penetrate, like the wind is not a factor, one I laser-ed was to end up 280yrds. The 7.1 Speeder is tight dispersion by design, has a little more mid flex/kick that the 7.2. Its a good set up, yet I still have medium trajectory. All Fuji is good!, the fuel 70x TS is also a fav of mine

Have any of you hit the 757 Evo?
You must be a strong person. If I tried to swing a 77g shaft with a D6 swing weight my SS would be in the 80s. I am envious because i am sure it is stable.

I am going on 48yrs...I try to keep my upper body fit, and pull on 60lbs weights in a rope downswing at the gym or pull down on a stretchy hooked up to the upper door hinge at the house. You might be surprised after 6 weeks you will be in a whole new flex code!, I also train in my 'the swings the thing' PVC swing ring to push my back swing & finish wider while on plane. This is the best swing training aide period!

I find the killer to a swing is flexibility and letting the left arm / elbow bend on the back swing /turn, less width of the arc, and steepens the plane, so you lose distance and ball striking at the same time!... you can get it back!

Golf is really about power and flexibility, and as you get older your turn diminishes, and so does your power. If you maintain your muscles and full turn, then warm up well... I am sure at the range you can decide to swing faster, than were you are now. I just flat out refuse to let my swing die from my younger days, I believe its a choice. I am only down 5-10y max from my 20's prime, I do miss those 195-200y 5i but 185-190y today is still solid. I feel in order to keep the swing up, I try 5 mins a day on the stretchy band keeps it in check. The gym well once a week is fine.

I believe any older golfer can get back the younger swing, just work the rust off. Just like any stiff person can get flexible with yoga. Since your paying $$$ in equipment and green fee's why not?

Last edited:
The DBD is not designed to be counter balanced other than the grip being slightly heavier compared to some of our other grips but that difference is minor and not as a result of trying to design it to be counterbalanced.

Thanks
I missed this thanks to Jason for responding.

I found the Cally Grip lowered the DBD 2 SW points...over a GP Z Cord on my SW Scale

I found the Cally Grip lowered the DBD 2 SW points...over a GP Z Cord on my SW Scale
Does 2 swing weight points equate to being counterbalanced?

The DBD is not designed to be counter balanced other than the grip being slightly heavier compared to some of our other grips but that difference is minor and not as a result of trying to design it to be counterbalanced.

Thanks
Love Finley chiming in with the info from the company themselves.

hit this two days ago and honestly was not a fan. I just felt like the contact on the sweet spot just felt like a thud compared to the alpha from last year. I wanna give it another chance but I didn't like what I saw compared to what I have now

hit this two days ago and honestly was not a fan. I just felt like the contact on the sweet spot just felt like a thud compared to the alpha from last year. I wanna give it another chance but I didn't like what I saw compared to what I have now
I had a similar experience. Only tried it with the stock shaft though

I had a similar experience. Only tried it with the stock shaft though

I think I had stock in it too. Like I said its a driver I wanna give another chance to I was just surprised by the results

I think I had stock in it too. Like I said its a driver I wanna give another chance to I was just surprised by the results
No doubt. I didn't get along with the stock shaft in the alpha either.

I know a lot of people in the 815 Alpha thread said the rogue paired better with that head. Wonder how it would do in the DBD head

No doubt. I didn't get along with the stock shaft in the alpha either.

I know a lot of people in the 815 Alpha thread said the rogue paired better with that head. Wonder how it would do in the DBD head
I could be wrong, but Rogue Silver is stock in the DBD. There's no charge options as well, but Callaways website initially shows Rogue.

I could be wrong, but Rogue Silver is stock in the DBD. There's no charge options as well, but Callaways website initially shows Rogue.
Hmm, I'll have to double check if that was indeed the shaft I've been hitting it with.

Either way, the impact sound/feeling is definitely different from the Alpha.

The og alpha was a unique plush/explosive sound/feel while the DBD is more of thwack

Hmm, I'll have to double check if that was indeed the shaft I've been hitting it with.

Either way, the impact sound/feeling is definitely different from the Alpha.

The og alpha was a unique plush/explosive sound/feel while the DBD is more of thwack
Oh I noticed the differences immediately. Off center hits between the two though, the DBD was MUCH better in all aspects. I'm going to be comparing the clubs directly Thursday on trackman.

I really liked the DBD when I hit it last week on the range. The DBD, XR, and Cobra Fly Z+ were all very easy to hit, fit my eye, and had great ball flights. I bought the Cobra because it was so stupid easy to hit straight with no swing adjustments but I could easily be persuaded to make the DBD or XR Pro my gamer. My good friend just ordered a DBD and should have it this week so I will do some extensive on course testing soon. I'm also excited to try the XR Pro when it comes out this month as it has the nearly identical forward low CG of the DBD and IMO the flat black finish makes it the best looking driver of 2015.

Obviously you have to have hit/holed a Albatross to be in the club?...right?

I really liked the DBD when I hit it last week on the range. The DBD, XR, and Cobra Fly Z+ were all very easy to hit, fit my eye, and had great ball flights. I bought the Cobra because it was so stupid easy to hit straight with no swing adjustments but I could easily be persuaded to make the DBD or XR Pro my gamer. My good friend just ordered a DBD and should have it this week so I will do some extensive on course testing soon. I'm also excited to try the XR Pro when it comes out this month as it has the nearly identical forward low CG of the DBD and IMO the flat black finish makes it the best looking driver of 2015.
I'm a bit of an odd duck, but I think matte black drivers look cheap

In golf, "albatross" is just another word for a double eagle.
A double eagle, or albatross, is a score of 3-under par on an individual hole. For example, making a "2" on a par-5 hole. Scoring an albatross is one of the rarest feats in golf, far less common than a hole-in-one.
To make an albatross you must:

• Score a 1 (hole-in-one) on a par-4 hole
  • Score 2 on a par-5
  • Score 3 on a par-6
The term "albatross" is most commonly used in the U.K.

Obviously you have to have hit/holed a Albatross to be in the club?...right?

The albatross club is a part of THP. It has nothing to do with obtaining an albatross. It is a club that provides users with awesome benefits, donates money to Folds of Honor, and supports this incredible forum.

In golf, "albatross" is just another word for a double eagle.
A double eagle, or albatross, is a score of 3-under par on an individual hole. For example, making a "2" on a par-5 hole. Scoring an albatross is one of the rarest feats in golf, far less common than a hole-in-one.
To make an albatross you must:

• Score a 1 (hole-in-one) on a par-4 hole
  • Score 2 on a par-5
  • Score 3 on a par-6
The term "albatross" is most commonly used in the U.K.
Yes. We know that. I was question what you were getting at with that post.

Back