Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Driver Preview

I will try it but was Odd he was 20 yards shorter with the 815 compared to the double black diamond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which I could believe depending on his swing. But that doesn't mean a hill of beans to me Andy game.

Hmmm after the video review of rick shiels on this one i Kinda lost interest. Not long and not low spin numbers. What a bummer really

I'd like to point out that his test between the two drivers was done with two very different shafts. The rogue fits him better based in the results he posted. Had he completed the test with the same shaft and got the same results, I'd agree with your disappointment.

The spin he was see in both wasn't particularly low but how low can you go with a swing like his. His swing is solid and he will get spin that others can because of his movements. I think average golfers are going to see low spin in the DBD vs the 815. Just food for thought.

I'd like to point out that his test between the two drivers was done with two very different shafts. The rogue fits him better based in the results he posted. Had he completed the test with the same shaft and got the same results, I'd agree with your disappointment.

The spin he was see in both wasn't particularly low but how low can you go with a swing like his. His swing is solid and he will get spin that others can because of his movements. I think average golfers are going to see low spin in the DBD vs the 815. Just food for thought.

Could be shaft ofcourse. But 20-25 yards difference for a pga teaching professional is quite a bit.

Could be shaft ofcourse. But 20-25 yards difference for a pga teaching professional is quite a bit.

I saw a 10yd difference and your focused on the wrong thing. I have seen shafts make a huge difference in ones game.

Let me ask you this. What is your carry distance, launch, spin and ball speed? If the 815 exceeds that, will it be more pleasing?

I saw a 10yd difference and your focused on the wrong thing. I have seen shafts make a huge difference in ones game.

Let me ask you this. What is your carry distance, launch, spin and ball speed? If the 815 exceeds that, will it be more pleasing?

Actually carry distance was 260 for 815 and 280 for black diamond. I am just stating what his numbers are. If others are seeing good numbers then that is great.

?.....I have seen shafts make a huge difference in ones game.....

Made a huge believer out of me and the right shaft in my driver made a noticeable difference.

JM

Food for thought. When test the 815 w/Speeder R shaft I saw carry of 230ish w/ 93 SS 14 launch and 3500 spin. On a whim hit X2HotPro they had w/ a Tour Green Stiff. Saw carry go to 245 with very similar #'s. Put that in 815 and it did same. I still liked the feel of the X2 a tad better. Hoping the DBD gets similar. Haven't seen one to hit yet in my area. Hopefully next week.

Actually carry distance was 260 for 815 and 280 for black diamond. I am just stating what his numbers are. If others are seeing good numbers then that is great.

His first swing with the DBD carried 272 and 262 with the 815. You can't take the longest and compare because that wasn't close to the average. The ball he hit 280 he swung very hard and kept consistent tempo with the 815.

Again the shaft is the difference maker in his test. Had they been the same then I give his little test the validity you are.

His first swing with the DBD carried 272 and 262 with the 815. You can't take the longest and compare because that wasn't close to the average. The ball he hit 280 he swung very hard and kept consistent tempo with the 815.

Again the shaft is the difference maker in his test. Had they been the same then I give his little test the validity you are.

I didnt watch the video and dont plan to, but I am not sure I agree on the shaft being the "issue". Its one differentiating thing however with the other being driver design. Both drivers have CG placed in different spots. This will have an impact on the spin and ball flight produced. Therefore, spin numbers will be much more influenced by that than they would be by the shaft. So what it comes down to is one driver fitting this reviewer better than the other, more so than one driver being "longer" than the other.

Food for thought. When test the 815 w/Speeder R shaft I saw carry of 230ish w/ 93 SS 14 launch and 3500 spin. On a whim hit X2HotPro they had w/ a Tour Green Stiff. Saw carry go to 245 with very similar #'s. Put that in 815 and it did same. I still liked the feel of the X2 a tad better. Hoping the DBD gets similar. Haven't seen one to hit yet in my area. Hopefully next week.

So you put the tour green in the 815 and go similar results as the x2? So that shaft works for you. But that spin is way to high.

I didnt watch the video and dont plan to, but I am not sure I agree on the shaft being the "issue". Its one differentiating thing however with the other being driver design. Both drivers have CG placed in different spots. This will have an impact on the spin and ball flight produced. Therefore, spin numbers will be much more influenced by that than they would be by the shaft. So what it comes down to is one driver fitting this reviewer better than the other, more so than one driver being "longer" than the other.

Yes, you are correct, the DBD fit him better than the 815.

Yep I did get a few swings down under 3K. I'm working on that. AoA is to steep. -6 on average. Trying to get it to the plus side. When I get it closer to 0 everything get better. But that's not the norm now. Gotta go with how I'm swinging not how I'd like to. Have DBD on pre-order with white tie 5x4 R. May pick up a X2HotPro and work on both and keep what combo works best.

Yep I did get a few swings down under 3K. I'm working on that. AoA is to steep. -6 on average. Trying to get it to the plus side. When I get it closer to 0 everything get better. But that's not the norm now. Gotta go with how I'm swinging not how I'd like to. Have DBD on pre-order with white tie 5x4 R. May pick up a X2HotPro and work on both and keep what combo works best.

I'm curious why reg flex when you saw better results with stiff?

At 58 swing speed avg is mid 90's. Old pro once told me to swing the most flexible shaft I could control. I have an almost LPGA tempo to my swing. Also have the TG in a x2hot 3 Deep that I hit very well.

At 58 swing speed avg is mid 90's. Old pro once told me to swing the most flexible shaft I could control. I have an almost LPGA tempo to my swing. Also have the TG in a x2hot 3 Deep that I hit very well.

But you saw better numbers with a stiff. The numbers don't lie. Play what you want but you can swing a stiff based on what you posted. I think you're cheating yourself out of some good golf.

But you saw better numbers with a stiff. The numbers don't lie. Play what you want but you can swing a stiff based on what you posted. I think you're cheating yourself out of some good golf.
Will get the X2HotPro in stiff and try that in the DBD. Or may just change the DBD pre order to TG stiff. Trying to get to ECPC here in NJ next week for a true fitting. Big Box stores simulators give me numbers all over the place. Good for comparing on same unit. But I don't actually know what my numbers are one I was at for this test had SS at mid 90's. Another one I get high 90's low 100's. Adds to confusion.

I need to get out and give these drivers a try. Need to see which one will be best. Wanna like the DBD but I may just go with the normal 815.

I'm curious how the DBD will play since you don't have the ball speed that Callaway recommends having for that head.

I'm curious how the DBD will play since you don't have the ball speed that Callaway recommends having for that head.
Ball speed around 135 ish. I do hit center of face most times. Never hit toe. Miss is towards heel. We will see. Hoping to hit one next week rep said he would have. If doesn't fit me can always change/cancel pre order.

In the grand scheme of things it won't matter. He will get the output from the club he puts in.

How much better is this over the BBA? I guess I need to dive in and see first hand. Admittedly it need to be significant for me to justify the coin. I'm not really looking for distance, but if it's a by product great.

He reviewed the spin both ways. He still couldnt get the 815 to go where he usually is. While the black diamond he hit really well distance wise.

How much better is this over the BBA? I guess I need to dive in and see first hand. Admittedly it need to be significant for me to justify the coin. I'm not really looking for distance, but if it's a by product great.
More forgiving. From my brief comparisons at least.

Just got a chance to hit this and liked it....not enough to dump last year's bertha though. Didn't see much difference for me to spend the money.

Back