Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Driver Review Thread

I would tend to agree with you also Dan that is the one thing i do not really like about the driver

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Driver Review Thread

Dan, I'm with you on the face/crown color. The Black on black is a big negative to me. I thought it was an issue only because of indoor lighting, but even when I got to hit the DBD outside I found it hard to delineate the face from the crown

Have you heard of the UDesign of this driver? I got my 2014 BB Alpha in gold crown and green sole... like my Green Bay Packers :p

http://www.callawaygolf.com/golf-clubs/mens/drivers/spr4300547.html

EDIT: It's actually the beauty on my newly updated avatar :p

Last edited:
Its nice to have drivers that you can adjust nowadays depending on wind. I never used to adjust my drivers even if they had that capability. The fact that you are seeing a lower flight when you make that adjustment is great, you can hit those higher bombs on the normal days and then just adjust it to 9.5 on the windy days and still get great performance without carrying 2 drivers.

I do really really like the Aldila Rogue Silver so I'd have to see considerable improvement from the Speeder to make the switch permanently.

I look very much forward to hearing about the difference there. I'm THIS close to getting one with the Rogue Silver 60

Based on the performance of the Speeder in my old Bertha and the Rogue Silver in the 815 I'd go with the Rogue, but that's just me and I really like the feel of the Rogue. Don't get me wrong, the Speeder is a solid shaft but has always felt a little more boardy to me. I can feel the load and transition so much better in the Rogue.

I'm gonna give the Speeder a go in the 815 soon and we'll see how it goes.

To me the Speeder in the 815 is alot smoother than the aftermarket one it seems to be more counter balanced I need to get my hands on a Rouge to see what it does in the 815

No love for the Diamana S+ from anyone?

Not a good fit, or is just not the sexy new shaft on Tour (or something like it) like the Rogue is?

Not a good fit, or is just not the sexy new shaft on Tour (or something like it) like the Rogue is?

Funny you say that, I just put a Diamana S+ in my BB and I absolutely love it...it's fantastic

Personally i never liked any of the Diamana shafts i have played
I think the volume of shafts available with this driver gives a lot of choices so you will see lots of different head shaft combos with this driver based on swing

Numbers with speeder 661 shaft
0e8c4a5a4668cd77130a0fb0c5130447.jpg
feels great and ball jumps off the face. I'll be looking for this shaft now...

Pretty amazing how forgiving this club is. Just long and forgiving.

Does anyone have a chart or link to how the different weights will affect the set up?

Oh yeah! Just received the shipping confirmation from Callaway regarding my Alpha 815, along with V Series 3 and Heaven woods. Looks like they will arrive in south GA about middle of next week!

Oh yeah! Just received the shipping confirmation from Callaway regarding my Alpha 815, along with V Series 3 and Heaven woods. Looks like they will arrive in south GA about middle of next week!
What shaft did you get in the 815?

Speeder 665 stiff. Got that same shaft in the fairways also.
I am leaning to that shaft as well, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it

I stopped in to Golfsmith today to get a couple things and as I was walking by the hitting bays this driver caught my eye so I decided to take a few swings with it, I was admittedly rusty but I put a few decent swings together. The demo had the Speeder shaft in it and I was swinging slower than normal, in the 88ish range, I put two out there 230 on my good swings and you could tell they were good from the moment of impact. The pop off the face was very reassuring, now if I could bottle up those two swings I would be in good shape. That was everything in the stock position so I would be interested to see how changing a few settings would help.

It's HERE. AND ITS A SEXY BEAST.

Thank you THP. Review commencing NOW.

attachment.php

IMG_2632.jpg

Something's wrong with your camera. The club head came out backwards. Ha

Have a great time with it. Can't wait to hear your comments.

I already have some pro & cons based on the visual and waggle test. But I'll save it for the detailed review.

I confirmed. Spoke to the boys at Callaway Canada and they do not have a lefty yet. I think there is going to be a line up for who gets to hit this one.

So I finally was able to get some time in with the 815 last week and wasn't as blown away as I hoped I would be. I wasn't swinging the club particularly well, so I'm going to go back today and put some more work in with it. I will say that the face is a lot hotter than the original Alpha

I'm not sure how this will turn out. It was taken on a high speed camera and then converted to "normal". I wanted try and get the sound captures.

Here is what the flightscope said that did.

0325b60102ddf26d37919cd6b93213d6.jpg

Back