Callaway Big Bertha V-Series Fairway Wood Review

The 5 wood really performs. I don't see it leaving my bag this year. Off the tee and deck It has been incredible. Love the tour green I have in it too
Did you try it with the Bassara? How has it played differently since you put the Tour Green in it?

Did you try it with the Bassara? How has it played differently since you put the Tour Green in it?

I ordered it with the tour green as I wanted something heavier so I am not much help. It still launches high but feels more stable to me.

I tried the bassara in the driver and it held up fine to my swing, just more comfortable with a bit heavier shaft

Round 2 with this 3W was 1/2 a bucket tonight at the range, all off the deck.

Trajectory was better than yesterday. Direction of the ball corresponded to my swing. I snuck in on the Trackman for a handful of swings to get numbers. SS = 99, carry distance = @205, total distance = 210 to 215.

The general rule of thumb up here is to add 15% to account for winter weather and range balls. That would put me at @235 carry / @250 total distance, which would be an improvement over my current gamer. So that's good. I still need more time with this off the tee to see if I can control trajectory and confirm it's a winner there too.

It's worth noting that the 99 SS is nothing to sneeze at for me. That's only a touch less than my driver. At this point I'd say the slightly longer shaft and light weight club work as designed to increase SS. Speaking of the shaft, it feels great - no sense of whippiness at all, if holds up to my swing without issue. Only two sessions in and I can say that I like it.

Last edited:
Another thought about this one...

Some clubs have a feel at impact that I sometimes think of as "dropping the hammer"...you feel the weight of the head hitting the ball with a thud like a hammer on a nail. My G20 is like that (to me) and so was the Aeroburner I demo'd last night (this one was a consistent 10 carry yards shorter for me as measured by Trackman, btw). This one is different. To me the impact is more like the ball gets in the way of the club. I don't think either is right or wrong, just different.

Played 9 today. Just the way the round played out I didn't have many chances to hit this one. On top of that my swing was putting forgiveness to the test. This club is a paradox. Sometimes I question if it's the one for me. Other times I think the club could be magical when warmer weather gets here.

Still loving the 5W. So easy to elevate and gets out there about 235-240 for me. Just a solid solid club

Still loving the 5W. So easy to elevate and gets out there about 235-240 for me. Just a solid solid club

The heavenwood is just siiiiiiilly. I'm a fan.

Another thought about this one...

Some clubs have a feel at impact that I sometimes think of as "dropping the hammer"...you feel the weight of the head hitting the ball with a thud like a hammer on a nail. My G20 is like that (to me) and so was the Aeroburner I demo'd last night (this one was a consistent 10 carry yards shorter for me as measured by Trackman, btw). This one is different. To me the impact is more like the ball gets in the way of the club. I don't think either is right or wrong, just different.
It's funny you say this as that is exactly how I felt hitting the driver. It's not bad so much as it's weird.

The heavenwood is just siiiiiiilly. I'm a fan.

Would love to have tried it.. Sadly no LH, but the line is just so solid. The Tour Green is a perfect pairing in this head for me. I hit the XR and liked it, but no reason for me to switch right now. Does everything I need

Would love to have tried it.. Sadly no LH, but the line is just so solid. The Tour Green is a perfect pairing in this head for me. I hit the XR and liked it, but no reason for me to switch right now. Does everything I need

I think this line is filled with some of the most versatile fairway woods on the market. Incredibly easy to hit from just about any location.

I think this line is filled with some of the most versatile fairway woods on the market. Incredibly easy to hit from just about any location.

I 100% agree JB. It is the easiest FW for me to hit off the deck that I have personally owned. It goes high and lands soft. Perfect for the tee and off the deck if needed. Just a fun club

Agreed, and with that sole, its surprised me that some have struggled off the deck with the V fairways. For me that sole just makes them lethal off the deck and moreso out of the rough.

I 100% agree JB. It is the easiest FW for me to hit off the deck that I have personally owned. It goes high and lands soft. Perfect for the tee and off the deck if needed. Just a fun club

I have had so much success with the Heavenwood, that I am thinking about adding a 3 wood.

Not sure yet. Pretty confused about the whole setup right now, but love my #TheGrandaddy clubs.

How could you not man? Great golf clubs in that bag. Looking forward to seeing what you do

How could you not man? Great golf clubs in that bag. Looking forward to seeing what you do

Thanks man. Whatever I do, the V-Series will have some representation based on how well I have been hitting it.

Had about 210 into the wind after a pushed drive and hack out of a fairway bunker, I pulled the 5w and put it pin high. Love these fairways like no other. Point and shoot all day long.

I am really enjoying the Heavenwood, I may pull the stock shaft and put my UST shaft in it. I actually hit my 9 wood farther than the Heavenwood and I think it is just the shaft difference. The Heavenwood as stock I have to really be easy with the swing or it balloons on me.

This club is money off the tee, never misses the freeway. I have a feeling it's going to get a work out on Friday. Need to work on the off the deck shots

I am really enjoying the Heavenwood, I may pull the stock shaft and put my UST shaft in it. I actually hit my 9 wood farther than the Heavenwood and I think it is just the shaft difference. The Heavenwood as stock I have to really be easy with the swing or it balloons on me.

Same here. If I try to hit it really hard, it launches to the sky and loses about 20 yards over a nice smooth swing. Kind of weird, but I do not get that same result with the 3 wood when I try to give it a little extra.

Doing the shaft swap tonight in the Heavenwood, hope to play on Wed. and be ready for the Ball testing round on Friday.

Doing the shaft swap tonight in the Heavenwood, hope to play on Wed. and be ready for the Ball testing round on Friday.
Let me know how it goes. I have an inexpensive old school low launch Prolaunch Red coming that I am seriously considering trying in the heavenwood.

The UST Pro Force was not a high dollar shaft ($35) but it worked fantastic in the XH 9 wood. Should be a fun experiment.

Back