Callaway Big Bertha V-Series Fairway Wood Review

I like these fairways!

Stock in 15.5 -- I need launch and it works on the course, still stock in 5 wd -- great trajectory off the range deck, need to get it on the course. The 7 wd is coming in with a Fuji 665 for a bit more heft.

I find them forgiving. It's so early in the season that my swing -- out of shape after 4 months of taking off from golf -- needed work. The face is long from heel to toe ... and I have tended to hit off the heel early in the season. They still work. The third time at the range the swing took off and so did the ball flight - piercing, mid-high trajectory in the 5 wood. Will only get better with a few more sessions.

Last edited:
I love the feel of the 3 wood, and the launch is probably the best I have found, but I don't find them very forgiving. Yardage on off centre hits is way off, and they don't seem that long to begin with...

Maybe it is just me...

But I would expect to get a fair bit more yardage from a 15.5* 43" 3 wood than I do from my X2Hot 19* Hybrid... but I don't...

I had my first range session with this club after changing the Bassara shaft to a Graffaloy Pro Launch Red. This is going to take some time to figure out. Trajectory clearly came down, especially off the deck. And I hit some absolutely beautiful bombs off the tee - high boring trajectory and flying the ball something in the 240 range. Those shot had me questioning whether I even needed to carry a driver. However - and it is a big caveat - there were a lot more misses, especially left. I don't know if that was just my swing or if moving away from the Bassara eliminates the "fairway finder" nature of this club. TBD.

Will be interested to see how it works out for you. The shaft was a little stout for me but I think you SS is a little higher than mine. I didn't have any problem launching the heavenwood from tee or deck with it in. Not sure that the heavenwood wouldn't launch easily with a piece of rebar stuck in the head though...haha.

Will be interested to see how it works out for you. The shaft was a little stout for me but I think you SS is a little higher than mine. I didn't have any problem launching the heavenwood from tee or deck with it in. Not sure that the heavenwood wouldn't launch easily with a piece of rebar stuck in the head though...haha.
I love the feel of the shaft, Scot. I think it fits my swing nicely and it looks great in this head. I'm a hacker - decent chance the lefts today were just me.

I've only had a couple range sessions and a sim round, but I'm feeling really good about going into the season with these fairways in my bag. I made the mistake of getting rid of a fairway that worked for me, and have been on a search ever since. Have the 3 and heavenwood in the bag, and I've hit them really well so far. The 3 wood I get off the turf as well as I've hit a 4 wood in the past, and the heavenwood I hit much better than the 3h it is replacing. I feel like sometimes these get overlooked, but they're a really nice feeling fairway. Nice mid-size profile that just looks "right" at address to me.

More importantly, I'm finding the middle of the face more often than I have in a long time with the fairway. I'm actually really enjoying the lightweight shaft. But even at this weight, it holds up better than the stock shaft than my old Nike fairway did. I'm really impressed with the Bassara. I'm swinging slower than I have historically due to some major swing changes I'm in the middle of, so I'll take all the help I can get from a speed standpoint.

I played 27 over the weekend, in large part to test this experiment out. I was seeing nominal distance gains with the Pro Launch, but mostly just a different type of distance. On the other hand, I was definitely seeing more misses. My swing is a big variable so I will give it more time, but early results have me wondering about going back to the Bassara.

Have used this 3 wood a couple of times on course, including this week after a lesson, where we worked on a wider takeaway rather than coming back on the inside and hitting draws/pulls like I usually do. The result was 5/5 fairways hit, which I never do, and the swing change took left side out of play and introduced either straight or fade instead, not sure I'm happy with this shape but the control it gave me was a plus and I completed the round with one ball and an 83, +11 score so the results speak.

i hit 3w better than driver today and hope this continues, fairly consistent distance of 215 yards and in play each time so a good start.

Have used this 3 wood a couple of times on course, including this week after a lesson, where we worked on a wider takeaway rather than coming back on the inside and hitting draws/pulls like I usually do. The result was 5/5 fairways hit, which I never do, and the swing change took left side out of play and introduced either straight or fade instead, not sure I'm happy with this shape but the control it gave me was a plus and I completed the round with one ball and an 83, +11 score so the results speak.

i hit 3w better than driver today and hope this continues, fairly consistent distance of 215 yards and in play each time so a good start.

I have the driver, 3 wood and 7 wood. You should try the 7 wood against the hybrid, I think you would be pleasantly surprised.

I had my first range session yesterday since putting the Bassara back in this head. Yes, I will lose distance into wind because of the trajectory. But trading out shafts taught me that giving up a little something is a fair trade off for everything I get with the Bassara - easy trajectory off the deck or tee, consistent distances and I'll virtually never get in trouble right.

That'll be $5 for the unused advice :comp:

I had my first range session yesterday since putting the Bassara back in this head. Yes, I will lose distance into wind because of the trajectory. But trading out shafts taught me that giving up a little something is a fair trade off for everything I get with the Bassara - easy trajectory off the deck or tee, consistent distances and I'll virtually never get in trouble right.

I like that you're sticking with it. The more I golf, the more I learn that in most cases, there's nothing wrong with a high ball.

That'll be $5 for the unused advice :comp:
Yeah, you were right all along. I guess I'm like the bad guy from Dirty Harry who wasn't sure how many bullets were left in Harry's gun: "I gots to know..."

Yepper. Sometimes you just have to know.

I've had the 3w in the bag for 2 and a half rounds and am really happy with the results. As someone who has struggled to find a solid all around 3w the v series has been the ticket. Off the tee the v series is almost as long as my driver (on less than ideal strikes) and the accuracy is great. Several holes at my home course set up perfectly for 3w and finding the fairway is almost automatic. Off the deck I have a repeatable fade but am seeing consistent distance and a higher flight (for me) than an other 3w I have tried. The only question now is 5w or heavenwood next?

I love both my 3w and HeavenWood!
Easy to hit both from a tee and off the deck.
I foresee these being in the bag for a very long time!

I've had the 3w in the bag for 2 and a half rounds and am really happy with the results. As someone who has struggled to find a solid all around 3w the v series has been the ticket. Off the tee the v series is almost as long as my driver (on less than ideal strikes) and the accuracy is great. Several holes at my home course set up perfectly for 3w and finding the fairway is almost automatic. Off the deck I have a repeatable fade but am seeing consistent distance and a higher flight (for me) than an other 3w I have tried. The only question now is 5w or heavenwood next?
....or the driver?

Heavenwood. For the love of everything trust me on this.

This man is wise. I trusted and Heavenwood opened up a whole new world.

I'd say either one ---- but the Heavenwood will probably need another shaft, and you might want to get it down to 42.5 inches. Callaway does have the Fuji 565, 665, etc. if you ask.

The Heavenwood has a slightly higher volume head than the BBV 5 wood -- It's about what you want from the club and individual preferences.

I got more out of the stock 5 wood than the Heavenwood. But if you change it up, like others here, the Heavenwood can be a weapon for you.

For you heavenwood fans I would also suggest giving the XR 7 wood a try. This has become a reliable club for me when I need a high and soft landing shot. Forgiving and consistent is the understatement of the year when it comes to this club, not trying to thread jack, just give it a few hits and you may be pleasantly surprised.

I believe when statements like this are made, his move would be to buy a driving iron instead. #HeIsLearningThough

I'd say either one ---- but the Heavenwood will probably need another shaft, and you might want to get it down to 42.5 inches. Callaway does have the Fuji 565, 665, etc. if you ask.

The Heavenwood has a slightly higher volume head than the BBV 5 wood -- It's about what you want from the club and individual preferences.

I got more out of the stock 5 wood than the Heavenwood. But if you change it up, like others here, the Heavenwood can be a weapon for you.

Why does the heavenwood need another shaft? AMart needs the ball elevated and the stock shaft in the V-Series 3w he's gaming is doing exactly that.

This has been my experience w/ the 3W (at the range, at least). I go Heavenwood after the 3W and gapping was just about perfect on the monitor. Both are cut down 1/4" from standard. I've never been able to launch a 3W as well as this one from the deck. Once courses open up I'm going to compare the V series and F45, but I have a feeling the V series might win out, just because it's so easy to hit. The stock Bassara in both - I do best with a smooth transition from the top, and as we've made some swing changes my launch has come down a bit, so this works out perfectly.

I believe when statements like this are made, his move would be to buy a driving iron instead. #HeIsLearningThough

Why does the heavenwood need another shaft? AMart needs the ball elevated and the stock shaft in the V-Series 3w he's gaming is doing exactly that.
So you're saying the Apex UT at the same degree would be the better option....got it!

The Heavenwood has been on my ponder list for a while. So easy to hit. You guys are not making this easier to resist. I just have a hard time justifying it since I think the gapping with a 3H and my 5 Deep would overlap quite a bit.

Hmm...got to ponder it a bit more.

The Heavenwood has been on my ponder list for a while. So easy to hit. You guys are not making this easier to resist. I just have a hard time justifying it since I think the gapping with a 3H and my 5 Deep would overlap quite a bit.

Hmm...got to ponder it a bit more.

If you are planning on any THP Events this year, you can use mine on the course as a test.

Back