Callaway Chrome Tour, Chrome Tour X, and Chrome Soft Golf Balls

I have been playing the Chrome Soft exclusively for while now, I just feel that it gives me the most consistently on what I'm looking for in a ball. Less spin with the longer clubs, and great spin on the scoring clubs. It also feels great on the putting green. I'm really looking forward to testing out the Chrome Tour and see how it compares for me.

I have been playing the Chrome Soft exclusively for while now, I just feel that it gives me the most consistently on what I'm looking for in a ball. Less spin with the longer clubs, and great spin on the scoring clubs. It also feels great on the putting green. I'm really looking forward to testing out the Chrome Tour and see how it compares for me.
Is that the new CS or the 22 version? Because the new CS is pretty legit too! But I for sure would want to try the CT as well. New new will do that!

Is that the new CS or the 22 version? Because the new CS is pretty legit too! But I for sure would want to try the CT as well. New new will do that!
I’m still playing through a stash of the ‘22 version, I’m going to try both.

I know I've mentioned it before but I'm going to mention it again. The feel of the CTX is a little mind bending when it comes to putter. Yesterday, I putted with my Ai-One as well as my Toulon Chicago (so WH insert and a fully milled) and on both putters the X felt softer.

I have a post here that tries to show the sound difference between the CT and the CSXLS. The CT is much improved in sound and feel over the LS and the CTX makes the CT feel clicky when you go back to back. CT isn't clicky AT ALL when you just putt normally, but going from one to the other quickly is where my mind is breaking still.

All I've been able to do is putt so far so it's about all I can talk about currently. And when a higher compression ball feels softer off of a putter regardless of insert or milled, it's still worth mentioning more than once. I am dying to get outside to play with these and see which one is right for me. I have three dozen of each so I'm sure it will take all year for me to figure it out lol
I love this so much because it's EXACTLY what I experienced. I was actually hesitant to post about it because it seemed crazy. In my mind it was equivalent to saying Pv1x feels softer than Pv1 off a putter.... and clearly no one would say that.

Alright I got another set of data tonight and I think I'm good now. CTX just continues to impress and I've developed a sense of comfort hitting this ball. I'd feel pretty confident gaming it for the year at this point. It honestly checks all the boxes on a launch monitor and in the feel department. Short of it being terrible in the wind or something, I think it's in the bag.

Maxfli Tour X was the incumbent and it's a damn good ball, especially when you consider price. CTX edges it in feel and short game spin.

20240308_163454.jpg

I love this so much because it's EXACTLY what I experienced. I was actually hesitant to post about it because it seemed crazy. In my mind it was equivalent to saying Pv1x feels softer than Pv1 off a putter.... and clearly no one would say that.
We aren’t crazy!!

Despite the Chrome Tour playing a bit of hide and seek from time to time in the wet mush that is February/March Ohio, I've been very impressed with how they react to even just 'okay' conditions especially around the green.

It's going to take a bit of getting used to having extra action around the green, because a few times I've made the ball bite like crazy greenside, but I think that's an incredibly good thing. Just normalizing expectations after the previous version of Chrome Soft had a bit more chase I think.

Durability is always going to be one of my primary focuses and so far I am satisfied. Fresh grooves (and maybe a couple branches) will naturally peel away at the cover, but I think they've held up quite well. I'm most excited to see how they perform in ideal conditions, especially on overall distance potential by comparison to greenside engagement.

You guys have me so hyped for the new CT I had to grab a 3/1 offer. They came in yesterday and I'll be putting them in play on Sunday! I have a feeling it's going to be a big adjustment green side compared to the Supersofts I usually play.
If your greens are receptive, I think you're in for a pretty big surprise compared to Supersoft. I played the Supersoft for quite a while and have since been playing the '22 CS, as well as the '24 CS and CT. The CT should be a very noticeable difference for you in the greenside game.

You guys have me so hyped for the new CT I had to grab a 3/1 offer. They came in yesterday and I'll be putting them in play on Sunday! I have a feeling it's going to be a big adjustment green side compared to the Supersofts I usually play.
Can’t wait to hear how you like them!

I truly do think I might convert to TruTrack full time. I’m loving it.

Had a good day with the CTX today. I didn't have any TT to play so i had just a regular yellow ball. I missed the TT a lot. My putting was not as good today. I like that the ball sits so well on the green and not a lot of run out. I hit a wedge today for my 4th shot into a par 5 as i had to do a little punch out. I used my 58 wedge and threw it past the flag and it ripped back about 10 feet to leave a 4 foot par putt! That was really fun to watch that action on the ball. My TT order should be here Monday and i will be set for awhile.

Durability wise, what is everyone seeing out of the lineup?

My Chrome Tour, after approximately 600 swings indoors, into a black hitting net, or into a simulator screen:

20240309_104426.jpg20240309_104432.jpg20240309_104439.jpg
Are the triple track and logo wearing down? Yes.

Am I seeing actual degradation of rhe cover itself? I don't believe so. (Any blackish discoloration is from the netting itself and wipes off).

Indoor use only mind you. No cart paths, hazards, or trees were injured.

Alright I got another set of data tonight and I think I'm good now. CTX just continues to impress and I've developed a sense of comfort hitting this ball. I'd feel pretty confident gaming it for the year at this point. It honestly checks all the boxes on a launch monitor and in the feel department. Short of it being terrible in the wind or something, I think it's in the bag.

Maxfli Tour X was the incumbent and it's a damn good ball, especially when you consider price. CTX edges it in feel and short game spin.

View attachment 9247386
Haha the spin again with the CTX!

My Chrome Tour, after approximately 600 swings indoors, into a black hitting net, or into a simulator screen:

View attachment 9247568View attachment 9247569View attachment 9247570
Are the triple track and logo wearing down? Yes.

Am I seeing actual degradation of rhe cover itself? I don't believe so. (Any blackish discoloration is from the netting itself and wipes off).

Indoor use only mind you. No cart paths, hazards, or trees were injured.
This is really impressive because a golf ball usually doesn’t get nearly that many shots on it when it is play on course! So for it to have that many hits and still look pretty decent is impressive

I have been using CT for a few weeks. It’s a good ball. Callaway has caught up to Pro V1. But if they want to charge pro v1 prices, they need to be on par durability wise and they fall well short. It’s a good ball at a discounted price. Would not pay retail for it.

I have played 3 rounds with the CTX now and like the ball a lot. It spins well for me, seems to stop when I want, I like the feel around the greens and off the putter. Durability was very good. I played close to 3 rounds with one of the balls.

I tried to play the CT and hit one in the hazard and one in to the woods off the first tee and didn’t want to lose more new balls so I went back to the CTX I had used for the previous couple of days and didn’t lose it. I am not saying this is a reflection on the ball it was two really crappy driver swings.

Durability for me has been great in both the CS and CT. They last longer than I would normally keep a ball, I played both a CT and CS for almost 7 full rounds before finally losing them, and they weren't quite yet to the point that I would've taken them out of play. I'm more likely to lose them long before that!

I have been using CT for a few weeks. It’s a good ball. Callaway has caught up to Pro V1. But if they want to charge pro v1 prices, they need to be on par durability wise and they fall well short. It’s a good ball at a discounted price. Would not pay retail for it.
What are you hitting them with? Industrial sandpaper? A ninja sword? 🤪

I’ve hit the same dozen on my sim since release day, well into the multiple hundreds of shots with each, and barely a scratch.

I played the Srixon Q-Star tour most of last year. For fun I pulled out some of the prior model Chrome Softs for a round on Wednesday. I played really well with it...so much so that I played again with it on Friday. Set a record for myself according to the my app with the number of 1-putts in a round.

The old model can be bought on Amazon for $39. Before I bought some, I figured I'd blow some leaue proshop credit on sleeves of the new balls. I got a sleeve of the Chrome Tour and 24 Chrome soft as well as the 24 Z-Star. I'm playing 18 tomorrow and will give each of them a 6-hole tryout to see what my ball will be for 24.

I have a stash of QST's in the closet, so need a ball to emerge as a clear favorite. But dang...you play really well with a ball for 2 rounds and it gets in your head.

I’ve hit the same dozen on my sim since release day, well into the multiple hundreds of shots with each, and barely a scratch.
Same clubs I hit pro v1 and tp5 / tp5x with. I’m not alone with durability concerns if you read around.

All I’ve seen is durability praise from people here. And far from only the Grandaddy guys

I played the Srixon Q-Star tour most of last year. For fun I pulled out some of the prior model Chrome Softs for a round on Wednesday. I played really well with it...so much so that I played again with it on Friday. Set a record for myself according to the my app with the number of 1-putts in a round.

The old model can be bought on Amazon for $39. Before I bought some, I figured I'd blow some leaue proshop credit on sleeves of the new balls. I got a sleeve of the Chrome Tour and 24 Chrome soft as well as the 24 Z-Star. I'm playing 18 tomorrow and will give each of them a 6-hole tryout to see what my ball will be for 24.

I have a stash of QST's in the closet, so need a ball to emerge as a clear favorite. But dang...you play really well with a ball for 2 rounds and it gets in your head.

I played the new CS for the first 6 holes, the new Z-Star for the middle. My game was fairly solid (for me today) - so it was a good chance to see how they compared. It was the rare calm day in DFW- so couldn't ask for better conditions.

The Chrome Soft was good. I had the best score of the 3 (+3 for 6 holes). The only thing is that is seemed a bit shorter than the old one for me. I track everything with my Garmin. I felt I hit a couple of drives on the screws that were notably shorter. It also felt 'clickier' than the previous model.

The Z-Star performed like a 'clickier' Q-Star. It flew slightly lower - that was about it.

The Chrome Tour was interesting. I hit my best drive with it...but still didn't go as far as I expected. I hit my best iron shot with it. Hit a 6-iron to 7 feet on a par 3 (missed the putt). The closing holes limited the clubs I hit with it (closing par 5 was literally 4h-4h-4h). I want to give them another run next week.

But none of them clearly knocked off the OG CS for me. There is something about the way the original CS feels at contact that is just intoxicating to me.

Soooo I didn't mean to do a ball comparison today but it just kinda happened. I was using CTX and actually testing irons. I had my path a bit more neutral today and my spin numbers were way up. Like crazy high for me.

Decided to hit a set with standard CT just to verify what I was seeing. Yep, spin dropped like a rock. It's nuts how much CTX spins for me. I'm seeing some real separation vs CT too.

20240310_171347.jpg

20240310_172440.jpg

Chrome Tour X Feedback

I was finally able to get the CTX balls in play today. Temps were in the upper 40’s and I wanted to see the distance off my clubs for the first few holes before it warmed up.

Distance- This would be the part of the ball that I would most be paying attention to. Having played the current version of the CSX and pretty familiar with the course today, I know what good drives produce and where off center hits end up. The first tee shot I was just off the right of the fairway but in a spot that was past my normal spot where I would expect to hit my second shot. This would be a theme though out the day I was seeing better distances on off center hits and on well struck drives I was seeing better distances than the CSX. Hard to put a number on it but I would guess a good 7-10 yds longer overall. I played with @USAF Retired & his son @Itscheddarbob who can move it off the tee and I was keeping up with him on well struck drives. Distance is definitely an upgrade with this ball.

Spin- I’ve really come to rely on the CSX to not spin too much off the tee and my irons but check when I need it off the scoring irons and wedges. Again no hard numbers just going off what I’m seeing with my ball flight and comparing to what I have known the CSX to do. I feel like off the driver it might be spinning a touch more but also my swing is at play here. I didn’t lose any balls off the tee and well struck drives the ball elevated but didn’t balloon and held lines really well. Off my irons, and wedges the CTX performed like I wanted. It provided the confidence to attack greens and know it would stop. Here is a shot from about 102 out on a par 5. Perfect stopping power and exactly what I want out of my ball.

IMG_8833.jpeg

Feel - I didn’t feel any more less firmness compared to the CSX. I paid attention early on in my round when the temps were cooler and I didn’t experience any harshness or negative feeling through the bag. One thing I was really surprised (happy) with was the feeling off wedges and putter. I keep coming back to the word “dense”. The ball had a very dense or muted feeling especially off my putter. I use a milled putter and I expected an audible “click” off the putter and it wasn’t there. It was a nice dense or muted sound/feeling that left me really surprised.

Durability - This one is tough because I found some rough and hard pan areas that contributed to scuffing. I hit a few branches and by the time I lost my first ball on hole 8, there were some visible scratches but nothing to make me take it out of play. Again I think that’s largely because of the branches and hard pan area than club interaction or wedge grooves. Happy overall here

Overall I came away impressed. Through the bag the CTX performed as expected and the distance claims many have noted are absolutely real. I hate to put numbers on anything but I was easily seeing 5-10 more yards off the tee compared to the CSX. Spin off the tee would be an only concern but again I suspect that is more my swing and me delivering the club than the ball properties. If I had to drop the CSX and put the CTX in play full time I would be ok and not feel like I’m leaving anything on the table.

Next up is the CT that I’ll put in play for my next round.

Last edited:
UPS arrived. Looking forward to trying these out.

Unknown-1.jpeg

Back