Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver

Customs showed up today.

d849a37588f0724cf6b68eef147e493d.jpg

that is SUPER clean, buddy!

Customs showed up today.

Good color choices. Pairs really well with the shaft. Looks great!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Customs showed up today.

Wow. Building this exact color spec online does not remotely compare to this in-hand pic. That is beautiful.

This arrived tonight. I think my afternoon appointments tomorrow may be adjusted. I can't wait to give this a go tomorrow.

I picked up my shaft for Flash at the fitter today and he let me jump on the Trackman to swing a few. Swing speed a bit light this morning (I will write it off to zero warm up and taking just a few swings after being in the car). I will take it though. Man I cant wait to play this weekend.

Attachments

• Flash - Aerotech.png
    Flash - Aerotech.png
    882.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Flash - Aerotech 3.png
    Flash - Aerotech 3.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Flash - Aerotech 2.png
    Flash - Aerotech 2.png
    52.9 KB · Views: 0
Impressive Hoganesque down range pattern right there Scrap! 6 yards front to back, 12 yards side to side, worst ball 9 yards off dead center, and that one just didn't draw back in for you like you'd expect. That tight at 250 yards down range. So Nice!

I picked up my shaft for Flash at the fitter today and he let me jump on the Trackman to swing a few. Swing speed a bit light this morning (I will write it off to zero warm up and taking just a few swings after being in the car). I will take it though. Man I cant wait to play this weekend.

Was this with the Smoke Shaft? The dispersion is insane.

Finally managed to get my self new driver. Broke my old xr16 in january.

Over last 3 weeks i have been fiting drivers.
I went and tried to get fit for PXG gen 1 and 2, TM M5 and M6, G400, G410, Titlest TS2 and TS3, Wilson Cortex, and Rogue and finally flash. Flash was winner for me.

Best i got suited were:
1. Flash
2. Rogue
3. PXG
4. TS2
5 - rest were pretty much the same.

Swing speed is avg 110

Was this with the Smoke Shaft? The dispersion is insane.

No. It was my Aerotech Ti-Fiber that I had in my original Epic (fitted). I thought I was going to just plug -n-play with the Flash, but when I switched it over, the weight was way off of what felt right. The flash head is heavier vs the original epic (203grams vs 195grams). So, had the swing weight changed back and it seem to be back on point now.
The dispersion seems to be better with the Flash compared to original Epic. Time will tell I guess. I am sure I will be able to spray drives with the best of them, I just hope its not often. Lol.
I did order it with the Smoke and it was really good too. I just have had pretty good luck with the Aerotech and have been pretty happy.

Last edited:
Impressive Hoganesque down range pattern right there Scrap! 6 yards front to back, 12 yards side to side, worst ball 9 yards off dead center, and that one just didn't draw back in for you like you'd expect. That tight at 250 yards down range. So Nice!

Thanks. Went to the range to swing a few and the larger sample size of a bucket yeilding not so 'Hoganesque' results, LOL. but am overall pretty happy.

Hit the Sub Zero side by side with some other notable recent releases, including M5 and F9. It is louder and a more metallic sound than the others mentioned, but not to an unpleasing level, just noticeable. The SZ version was a little quieter than the regular version. That being said, it produced solid ball speeds and I really got along with it judging by the strikes on the face. Looking forward to more time with this one.

Hit the Sub Zero side by side with some other notable recent releases, including M5 and F9. It is louder and a more metallic sound than the others mentioned, but not to an unpleasing level, just noticeable. The SZ version was a little quieter than the regular version. That being said, it produced solid ball speeds and I really got along with it judging by the strikes on the face. Looking forward to more time with this one.

Solid validation to what I experienced as well, pluffster!

which do you prefer?

Solid validation to what I experienced as well, pluffster!

which do you prefer?
Of the Epic Flash line, Sub Zero is my go to.

Out of the 3 I mentioned, it was F9 by a slight margin, then EF SZ, then M5 distantly. F9 registered 3mph higher ball speed today and I just did not get along with the M5 at all. It's just one long demo session on a winter swing, but F9 and EF SZ move onto the next round for me. I also can't wait to see ball flight and try and tinker around with the APW.

Of the Epic Flash line, Sub Zero is my go to.

Out of the 3 I mentioned, it was F9 by a slight margin, then EF SZ, then M5 distantly. F9 registered 3mph higher ball speed today and I just did not get along with the M5 at all. It's just one long demo session on a winter swing, but F9 and EF SZ move onto the next round for me. I also can't wait to see ball flight and try and tinker around with the APW.

I'm in the same realm... although I'm still really big on M5 Tour until I can hit it again.

Well today was the maiden voyage of my 9.0 Epic Flash. The club just looks great to me, top to bottom. I have been waiting for this day ever since the Callaway event in January.

The club is loud compared to the old Epic but it’s not annoying. The head shape is solid as are the colors. I have a Tensie stiff and the club is set to 10* neutral weight.

I had the opportunity to warm up on the range and hit about 10 balls before heading to the course. I posted up on the 15th hole at my course and played three balls off the tee. The hole measures 461 from the tips with a fairway the slopes right to left. So a well struck ball down the right will release and find its was toward the middle.

With my Epic I’m usually left with 190 into the hole. All three shots I had today left me between a hard 9 or smooth 8 from 157. Turned out the hard 9 was the right club.

I headed to the 17th which is a slight uphill par 5. That plays right at 480 from the tips. I gutted two of the three balls and pull the last into the first cut. I had 223 into the par5 which slightly into the breeze. I usually have 240 into this hole.

I made my way to the range and the TaylorMade demo day. I wanted to get on track man and test the flash against the new M series drivers. I set up each TM with same shafts to get a close as possible.

Flash: 161 BS, 1.48 smash, +2 AoA, 2800 spin, 289 carry, 13.9 launch

M5: 157 BS, 1.48 smash, +1 AoA, 3100 spin, 270 carry, 11.2 launch

M6: 158 BS, 1.45 smash, +1 AoA, 2900 spin 276 carry, 12.2 launch.

Hitting both TM seem to be muted in comparison to the Flash. The ball didn’t jump like it did with the flash.

Based on the three areas I tested the club today and I very happy with what I saw.

289 carry with 161 ball speed? Nice! I barely get that in carry at 175 ball speed (when I actually achieve it).

Then there’s the internal part of me (that controls my credit cards) that is on a repeated loop of “STOP BUYING GOLF CLUBS, STOP BUYING GOLF CLUBS” lol. I’ll own this one very soon, I’m just trying not to be easy to get.

I still haven’t hit the SZ Flash. The regular one spun way too much for me-but that is normal. I expected nothing else. It did give higher speeds across the face for me, as in off center hits were given a higher smash factor than other clubs. I compared it to a Rogue SZ, and sn R15 430. Ball speed and spin was best with the R15 430 but almost on par with the Rogue SZ, and this was the regular Flash. I can’t wait to hit the Flash SZ. If I can only figure out how to line a Callaway club up properly, this will be great for me.

I'm thinking of plugging in the shorter BB7 shaft in for my next round. Hit two really, really good drives last rd, but I've been out of sync and I feel the shorter and heavier shaft helps get me back on track. Think long term the HZRDUS is the right one for me, but when my swing's out of whack glad to have the old back up.

The two drives I mentioned were on very short par 4s. One I was just 10 yards off greenside to the right, and the other left me a 30yard pitch from the right rough. It's hard for me to say how much distance is the better fit, and how much is the tech. It's a good thing knowing I'm not leaving any ball speed on the table though.

I had the Epic Flash on the monitor today and had a freaking blast hitting some golf shots with it. My predominant ball flight lately on course has been a small fade that just seems to carry so well, and tonight I was seeing the ball data for that same flight. I have no idea how I'm doing it but I'm hitting these killer little low-spin cuts that look absolutely filthy.
Ball speed seems to be solid all over the face, but takes a nice jump when I catch it a little heelside and above center.

All in all, I am oozing confidence with this driver. I am hitting it far and I'm hitting fairways. I freaking LOVE IT!

Here's my numbers from tonight. Normally my spin isn't quite this low but I had a small glitch in the swing. Typically my spin averages around 2300.
**Ignore the club speed data, it is just a calculation off of ball speed (GC2 without HMT).
1338df2aa2a996df47a0b04f531df3bc.jpg

I love seeing actual data. 272 carry with 105 CHS (or in this case 153 Ball Speed) is amazing! Scares me a little, I’m only getting about 15 yards more with about 20MPH more ball speed. I NEED to be fitted by the Callaway folks.

I love seeing actual data. 272 carry with 105 CHS (or in this case 153 Ball Speed) is amazing! Scares me a little, I’m only getting about 15 yards more with about 20MPH more ball speed. I NEED to be fitted by the Callaway folks.
There's plenty of fitters capable of possibly getting you some better numbers.

See the blue number. That was Canadan’s drive with Sub Zero

4b4dd75bf300a91e4ed2ebbf203638e0.jpg

Im-F’in-pressive! I hit a few that long or more every year but it’s always fun to see. Two putt birdies on par 4’s and 5’s all day long. Nice, Dan, nice!!

See the blue number. That was Canadan’s drive with Sub Zero

4b4dd75bf300a91e4ed2ebbf203638e0.jpg
Wowza!!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Im-F’in-pressive! I hit a few that long or more every year but it’s always fun to see. Two putt birdies on par 4’s and 5’s all day long. Nice, Dan, nice!!

Canadan’s swing is very impressive. I knew he was a great golfer before getting the chance to play with him but those expeditions were even lower than reality. Dude can play his ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back