Callaway Epic Flash Hybrid

I also think the sole shape on this one could make it pretty useful greenside with little runners off the fringe area.

Jman;n8891120 said:
I’ll say, in hand again, this shape is definitely more of the OG hybrid “rescue” shape, I’m pretty curious to put it into play and give that face shape a workout.

you were a big fan of the ag apex, right? this flash hy seems to have a much bigger footprint. do you think this will be more of a fairway wood complement than a long iron replacement?

Oh damn that looks good...

Is it normal that I am excited that they didn't just slap that cheap generic Callaway grip on it?

I took some swings with the EF hybrid recently. The EF looked noticeably bigger than the Apex at address to me. With zero warm ups I proceeded to hit mostly straight to slight blocks right that were a bit higher trajectory than I get from my Apex. I would have to do a full fledged head to head trial between the EF and Apex before making any decisions but my initial impression was the EF might be a solid option in the 3h slot, whereas I could keep the Apex in the 4h slot as more of an iron replacement.

That looks solid in that 18*-24* portion of the bag. The larger head does look pretty inviting.

I am curious as to why Callaway chose the Tensei Silver as the stock shaft. Also, I was looking on the Callaway website and it doesn’t appear that the Catalyst shaft is available as a custom shaft, which really surprised me.

I think the Callaway Rogue X hybrid was the "best" choice when the "other" website did their reviews of hybrids; however, the EF hybrid had not been released yet. I wonder if anyone has had a chance to compare the two. I currently have the 3h and 4h in the Rogue X and find them long and reliable. Just wondering if the EF would have anything to add?

McLovin;n8891623 said:
you were a big fan of the ag apex, right? this flash hy seems to have a much bigger footprint. do you think this will be more of a fairway wood complement than a long iron replacement?

A loooooooooooooot bigger than the OG Apex.

I think that will depend on the user, I think the vast majority of amateurs won't let themselves hit hybrids like their irons (which the square toed hybrids are pretty much intended to do) so this face and profile shape is something that seems pretty absent from the market now. Smart move by Callaway potentially.

ddec;n8891651 said:
Is it normal that I am excited that they didn't just slap that cheap generic Callaway grip on it?

I freaking LOVE they went Align's.

Jman;n8891873 said:
A loooooooooooooot bigger than the OG Apex.

I think that will depend on the user, I think the vast majority of amateurs won't let themselves hit hybrids like their irons (which the square toed hybrids are pretty much intended to do) so this face and profile shape is something that seems pretty absent from the market now. Smart move by Callaway potentially.

I freaking LOVE they went Align's.

Agreed. I love the Align grips and the great thing about Callaway’s adapter is that it doesn’t re-align the shaft, so the Align grip works.

Camera malfunction tonight means photo session tomorrow and not getting this out until Thursday now. Ugh. I'm trying!

Jman;n8892166 said:
Camera malfunction tonight means photo session tomorrow and not getting this out until Thursday now. Ugh. I'm trying!

Really looking forward to this. I am hoping we can get your take on the G410 vs Epic. Thanks for your work!

Scrap22;n8892186 said:
Really looking forward to this. I am hoping we can get your take on the G410 vs Epic. Thanks for your work!

I can definitely promise some thoughts.

I'll say, the Flash looks GIANT next to the G410.

I would love to see the profile of the Flash against the Big Bertha.

Tenputt;n8892635 said:
I would love to see the profile of the Flash against the Big Bertha.

Send me a BB and I can get on that, haha

Jman;n8892639 said:

LOL. Seriously, though, your description of the Flash’s large profile makes me wonder where it fits in the lineup.

Jman;n8892639 said:

I currently play the BB and the flash is a little smaller heal to toe than BB and rounded more compared to Flash. I'll try and get to my local golf store to get photos tomorrow or later tonight.

BAM! Let's get this show on the road!

DSC00873-XL.jpg

Jman;n8893141 said:
BAM! Let's get this show on the road!

Like the irons, finally got a good photo session in on this one and it too will get some initial swings today!

Jman;n8893249 said:
Like the irons, finally got a good photo session in on this one and it too will get some initial swings today!

#1 - You are way too modest in describing what you do with a camera and golf equipment as 'a good photo session'. No one else comes close.
#2 - I'm looking forward to your thoughts after you get a chance to play around with it.

ddec;n8891651 said:

I love the Tour Velvet. Looking forward to checking it out with the Align tech.

Daddio;n8893258 said:
#1 - You are way too modest in describing what you do with a camera and golf equipment as 'a good photo session'. No one else comes close.
#2 - I'm looking forward to your thoughts after you get a chance to play around with it.

You sir, are too kind!

I stopped at my local golf shop and snapped a photo of the Big Bertha and the Epic Flash, both 4 hybrids. There is not much of a difference in profile. The Big Bertha is just a bit longer from heal to toe. 04E4199C-0F94-44AC-BAA5-F6217B98615E.jpeg

Tenputt;n8893656 said:
I stopped at my local golf shop and snapped a photo of the Big Bertha and the Epic Flash, both 4 hybrids. There is not much of a difference in profile. The Big Bertha is just a bit longer from heal to toe.

Wow, that's less than I assumed...now I want to measure them! LOL. I really didn't like looking down at the BB during my ECPC fitting last year but the EF didn't bother me in store. Now I have to go look at the BB again!

So, I picked up a Flash 3 hybrid. I put it in the bag today. Not even one practice swing. This is, bar none, the best hybrid I have ever hit. I hit it off the tee on the second hole. Arccos measured it at 253 yards. Hole 6 was a par 5. I hit it for my second shot and it measured at 236 yards.I hit it on off the tee on hole 12. It measured 242 yards. I hit it on hole 15 as my second shot on a par 5. It measured 240 yards and put me just off the back of the green.

So, for the first round, this club averaged about 243 yards. This is freakishly long for me for a hybrid. Somebody wanting a great club for the second shots on par 5s, this has to be a candidate. I adjusted the loft down to 17 degrees and it is still SO easy to hit and elevate. Wow, what a club!

Back