Callaway Epic Flash Hybrid

Jman;n8893141 said:
BAM! Let's get this show on the road!

Just put a 149.9 ball speed on the GC2...

Jman;n8895217 said:
Just put a 149.9 ball speed on the GC2...

And 148.6 and 150.4 and 148.9....

What in the heck is going on here????

Ha, think I'll take mine out of the plastic now...

Jman;n8895262 said:

The ball speeds it generates are astounding, no?

Jman;n8895262 said:

What were your numbers with the G410? Any major height differences?

Scrap22;n8895322 said:
What were your numbers with the G410? Any major height differences?

I’ll get into it more as we go and I can hit them one after another, but, peak in my data that’s in the review for the 410 was 138, it is a 22 vs 21 for whatever that is worth. Launch is lower here, but, with the higher ball speed it’s ok and it’s still hitting 30y peak realm.

I would imagine these are distance hogs.

I was talking to one of my home courses former Pro's and he just put the demo in his bag. It sounds like this is an absolute cannon. It looks a lot like a mini fairway wood to me which is right up some peoples alleys. I don't think that combo is for me but it's a great option for a lot of people.

KEV;n8895371 said:
I was talking to one of my home courses former Pro's and he just put the demo in his bag. It sounds like this is an absolute cannon. It looks a lot like a mini fairway wood to me which is right up some peoples alleys. I don't think that combo is for me but it's a great option for a lot of people.

I can safely tell you I’ve never sniffed 150 ball speed with a hybrid before, let alone a FOUR hybrid.

Like the irons though, it’s a wicked light feeling setup. Not sure how I feel about that.

I've heard really good things about these and the G410 hybrids, but I don't get along with matte finishes. If my bank account was more flush I'd definitely pick up a 5,4,and 3 to go with my Cobra F9s.

InTheRough;n8895547 said:
I've heard really good things about these and the G410 hybrids, but I don't get along with matte finishes. If my bank account was more flush I'd definitely pick up a 5,4,and 3 to go with my Cobra F9s.

To be fair, the finish isn’t the only difference, there are VASTLY different sizes at play there as well.

Some thoughts....and musings....and such....hahaha

The profile will be love, or hate. Its on the bigger side, and as the pics THP'ers put in this thread show it looks to be very BB'ish. At setup to my eye its square to maybe a tiny bit closed, nothing crazy though. The size visually for me isn't the favorite that I have looked down at, but I tend to be more in the compact camp when it comes to hybrids. That said, the shape and more importantly the FACE shape here is something worth trying, ESPECIALLY in the longer/lower-lofted hybrids IMO.

The reason I say that, I do think now even more than I did before getting one in hand that the face shape lends itself to the majority of golfers who do NOT hit their hybrids like irons and instead have a more sweeping like delivery into the ball. Yesterday the course was SOAKED so I was forced to take the more sweeping move into the ball and it paid off.

I was only able to hit it on the monitor for about 11 swings and then used it on the course over 9 holes 3 times.

On the Foresight GC2, with misses left in, over the 11 shots averages were as follows:

Ball Speed: 146.3 (Peak: 150.2, Low: 135.5)
Launch: 10.9
Spin: 4318 (Peak: 5034, Low: 2436)
Carry: 221

So, as you can see, there is some OOMPH behind this one. I'd like to at this point also remind everyone, THIS IS WITH A 21* HYBRID, and that is ABSURD.

Spin, not as low as I anticipated given the ball speed, to be honest. I had some on course instances that were silly, including one where I'm trying to lay up into the bend of a dogleg only to hit the thing THROUGH the dogleg/fairway.

I will say, the sound is....different. Its got a little "thonk" to it at impact (technical term, naturally) to where it isn't LOUD persay, but it is on the hollow side, similar to a fungo bat at times.

Overall early musings, no clue where this would fit into my bag on a personal level, we are talking 5w numbers here from a 21* club. Also, the stock Silver Tensei is light, heck, the whole club build feels light to me and the shaft I got in is light on flex for me (R) so I might tinker with that soon and see what effect it has, as the crazy thing is even on the LM I wasn't letting myself go all out after the ball, as absurd as that sounds. On a personal level, I think this shape/profile would be killer in the lowest lofted hybrid (18/19 range) for me because I like the fairway shaped face and think that would lend well to my swing in that club off the deck.

A lot of rambling here, but I saw a lot of things I'm having a hard time digesting. The distance/ball-speed here is borderline obnoxious.

Anyone have any questions or curiosities?

Any thoughts of switching to these? I am such a fan of the 410’s that I have no interest in changing. Looks too big for my taste as well.

You said the shape lends itself to the majority of golfers who "do NOT hit their hybrids like irons and instead have a more sweeping like delivery into the ball." How does this club work for the player who does play their hybrids like irons? You know because I'm that one. lol.

I'm still playing Cobra Bio Cell hybrids. I hit a 200 - 205 carry stinger with my 20.5 degree. My driver SS is 94-95 for reference. Do these have that much more tech in them for that much more distance? i.e. Would I benefit?

Danimal;n8895901 said:
Any thoughts of switching to these? I am such a fan of the 410’s that I have no interest in changing. Looks too big for my taste as well.

I’ve got literally one session on this one, no way to say right now.

The 4h 21 here is longer than my 19 3h which is set to 18 though.

Jman;n8895966 said:
I’ve got literally one session on this one, no way to say right now.

The 4h 21 here is longer than my 19 3h which is set to 18 though.

So Danny and I saw the same thing. The 21* was longer than the Ping and Taylormade 3 hybrid. Pretty nuts actually.

InTheRough;n8895918 said:
You said the shape lends itself to the majority of golfers who "do NOT hit their hybrids like irons and instead have a more sweeping like delivery into the ball." How does this club work for the player who does play their hybrids like irons? You know because I'm that one. lol.

I'm still playing Cobra Bio Cell hybrids. I hit a 200 - 205 carry stinger with my 20.5 degree. My driver SS is 94-95 for reference. Do these have that much more tech in them for that much more distance? i.e. Would I benefit?

Mentioned it in my update but it was a swamp out there so I was going to go down and after nothing bigger than an iron yesterday haha

Having had the Bio Cell hybrids in the bag when they were released, there is a huge jump from those tech wise. More ball speed, more launch, more forgiveness are all very real and not just dreams.

But, gapping will be much different for you from those, imo.

JB;n8895967 said:
So Danny and I saw the same thing. The 21* was longer than the Ping and Taylormade 3 hybrid. Pretty nuts actually.

I still can’t believe I hit 150 ball speed with a hybrid, let alone a FOUR hybrid.

Jman;n8895973 said:
I still can’t believe I hit 150 ball speed with a hybrid, let alone a FOUR hybrid.

He loved the Rogue hybrid, so did I, but I didnt love the latest Apex 19. It was really good, but I look for something a bit different.
This one is so crazy unique. Its larger, but not crazy big. I’m steep and didnt have too many issues with it.

I have been doing some stuff on measuring speed for people that hit ground first (me) and this one contends with some of the best at sliding through that, which is helpful. It could make me redo some of the bag. Or go to the 3 hybrid, and have it slot directly between 2nd driver and 5.

JB;n8895982 said:
He loved the Rogue hybrid, so did I, but I didnt love the latest Apex 19. It was really good, but I look for something a bit different.
This one is so crazy unique. Its larger, but not crazy big. I’m steep and didnt have too many issues with it.

I have been doing some stuff on measuring speed for people that hit ground first (me) and this one contends with some of the best at sliding through that, which is helpful. It could make me redo some of the bag. Or go to the 3 hybrid, and have it slot directly between 2nd driver and 5.

It’s an interesting one for me, because im not one who’s interested in a distance monster in a hybo spot, I lean more to the Apex/G410’s of the world.

But, it is fun to hit one of these monsters and see just what is what now and again.

Undersold by me so far? It’s stupid forgiving.

Good information guys. Thanks for the input.

Jman;n8895832 said:
Some thoughts....and musings....and such....hahaha

The profile will be love, or hate. Its on the bigger side, and as the pics THP'ers put in this thread show it looks to be very BB'ish. At setup to my eye its square to maybe a tiny bit closed, nothing crazy though. The size visually for me isn't the favorite that I have looked down at, but I tend to be more in the compact camp when it comes to hybrids. That said, the shape and more importantly the FACE shape here is something worth trying, ESPECIALLY in the longer/lower-lofted hybrids IMO.

The reason I say that, I do think now even more than I did before getting one in hand that the face shape lends itself to the majority of golfers who do NOT hit their hybrids like irons and instead have a more sweeping like delivery into the ball. Yesterday the course was SOAKED so I was forced to take the more sweeping move into the ball and it paid off.

I was only able to hit it on the monitor for about 11 swings and then used it on the course over 9 holes 3 times.

On the Foresight GC2, with misses left in, over the 11 shots averages were as follows:

Ball Speed: 146.3 (Peak: 150.2, Low: 135.5)
Launch: 10.9
Spin: 4318 (Peak: 5034, Low: 2436)
Carry: 221

So, as you can see, there is some OOMPH behind this one. I'd like to at this point also remind everyone, THIS IS WITH A 21* HYBRID, and that is ABSURD.

Spin, not as low as I anticipated given the ball speed, to be honest. I had some on course instances that were silly, including one where I'm trying to lay up into the bend of a dogleg only to hit the thing THROUGH the dogleg/fairway.

I will say, the sound is....different. Its got a little "thonk" to it at impact (technical term, naturally) to where it isn't LOUD persay, but it is on the hollow side, similar to a fungo bat at times.

Overall early musings, no clue where this would fit into my bag on a personal level, we are talking 5w numbers here from a 21* club. Also, the stock Silver Tensei is light, heck, the whole club build feels light to me and the shaft I got in is light on flex for me (R) so I might tinker with that soon and see what effect it has, as the crazy thing is even on the LM I wasn't letting myself go all out after the ball, as absurd as that sounds. On a personal level, I think this shape/profile would be killer in the lowest lofted hybrid (18/19 range) for me because I like the fairway shaped face and think that would lend well to my swing in that club off the deck.

A lot of rambling here, but I saw a lot of things I'm having a hard time digesting. The distance/ball-speed here is borderline obnoxious.

These are all very helpful, good thoughts. I am totally sold on this hybrid in the 17/18 degree range, because, quite simply, I hit it farther than my 4/5 wood, with more control. I don’t consciously make a different swing with my hybrids than with a wood, but I have a more shallow attack with all my clubs, so the profile that is more like a fairway wood does not bother me at all. I am really curious how Callaway has found a way to get so much ball speed out of a hybrid. It truly is amazing. In two different rounds, I now have hit this more than 250 yards off the tee (albeit in the thin air of Utah), which is just outlandish and crazy for me.

Tenputt;n8896221 said:
These are all very helpful, good thoughts. I am totally sold on this hybrid in the 17/18 degree range, because, quite simply, I hit it farther than my 4/5 wood, with more control. I don’t consciously make a different swing with my hybrids than with a wood, but I have a more shallow attack with all my clubs, so the profile that is more like a fairway wood does not bother me at all. I am really curious how Callaway has found a way to get so much ball speed out of a hybrid. It truly is amazing. In two different rounds, I now have hit this more than 250 yards off the tee (albeit in the thin air of Utah), which is just outlandish and crazy for me.

I think the ULTRA light crown and where they placed the MIM'ed tungsten has got to be a major motor behind that, its all I can come back to. We know what jailbreak does, but the SUB 5g crown to me has let INSANE weigth be shifted in the design.

JB and I had a conversation in FL about it, and the thing is though, I nor he could tell you what the "normal" crown weight is for a hybrid, it can't be much though, so quantifying that sub 5g crown is a little difficult. But, having hit it now, there is a crazy amount of pop behind the ball.

Sound wise though, eh, its just OK.

Jman;n8895894 said:
Anyone have any questions or curiosities?
What has surprised you most? Any preconceived ideas confirmed or refuted?

i am also curious to see results if you tinker with the shaft...is this a lightweight only type product or does the club still deliver the goods with other shafts?

Back