Review Callaway Epic Forged Irons

So I received these as the irons I was fitted into. We tried the Apex first and to be honest I kinda had my heart set on Apex but the numbers where just not there for me. Numbers wise alone I was 13 yards longer, ball speed was much higher and the dispersion was better. You can't argue with the numbers and say well no I shouldn't take these.
I had NO issues eat all holding greens at the Hideaway.
Setup for me was 6-AW with Recoil 95 F3.
Just some quick thoughts before heading out today.

Couple of notes about my fitting - I told my fitter that I was currently gaming the apex combo set and that I really liked them. We tried the new Pro model iron and we just weren’t hitting spin and launch numbers that we liked. The epic forged was quite a bit more consistent in the right shaft, but too long, so he had them built 3* weak for aid in launch and spin.

mixed bag out on the course, hit some really nice shots but really had some trouble dialing in distances. They feel good and not bad on mishits, and I think paired with the right shaft, they could really help a lot of golfers.

going to be interesting to see how they truly compare to my apex combos!

Ok gents. I'm fresh off of the Grandaddy and have aime thoughts to share about the Epic Forged. Since I saw the specs and held this club in hand, I knew it had great potential to be a fantastic driving iron. It is similar size to the Callaway X Forged UT that is current.

The problem was going to be trying the 4 iron (loft of a 2UT) with a proper shaft for what I wanted to accomplish. I had the chance to try the 4 in a steel fiber r flex shaft a few months back just to see what it felt like off the face. Was in love. I really really like the X Forged UT, don't get me wrong. But, it's a hollow iron that feels like exactly that. I got good results with it though so, its replacement would really have to step it up in some regard.

Anyhow, the shop lets me take the set 4 iron off the rack, throw some tape on the face and give it some swings. I happened to have my ut with me, so I hit them side by side. The UT was a very straight, low 230 yarder. Consistent, which it always was. Step up with the EF 4 iron and found that I was getting about 10-15 yards more in the air (off a mat indoors). But, it didn't have a shaft that fit me. I was losing them to the left by a lot more than I'd like.

During my Grandaddy fitting, we were running up to the time limit and really hadn't addressed the hybrid/UT slot. I'm not a hybrid guy and relayed that to the fitter. I told him I already had the Forged UT, but that I was interested I'm the EF. He said that was perfect as he'd hate to get me into a club that I already had. Told him I'd like to do a 90-100gram shaft and he recommended the KBS prototype hybrid shaft in a 95X.

So, kind of out on a limb with nothing of my own to lose (thanks to Callaway Golf's generosity). Am I ever glad we did. I mean, I love the fact that I had access to unreleased gear that is playing great. But, this club could very well be the most exciting part of my new bag.

It is so fricking long off the tee. Even at 18 degrees of loft, launches easy enough off the deck. But, where it sets itself apart for me is that it is a very solid, powerful feel. So far, I cannot think of anything my old UT could do that I couldn't with the Epic Forged.

I'll try to get some more data on it and give a bit more feedback soon.

In the meantime, if you're a UT guy, are in the market, and have any questions, don't hesitate to ask either here, or by direct message.

Love love love love love this post!

I’d really like to try these in a shaft other than the steelfiber. I didn’t like it at all. Maybe the 110 Proto Recoils would be a good fit for me in them.

I’d really like to try these in a shaft other than the steelfiber. I didn’t like it at all. Maybe the 110 Proto Recoils would be a good fit for me in them.
I’d recommend trying them with a different shaft for sure - the steel fiber just don’t feel good at all to me. The modus felt way better and I imagine recoils would as well.

Couple of notes about my fitting - I told my fitter that I was currently gaming the apex combo set and that I really liked them. We tried the new Pro model iron and we just weren’t hitting spin and launch numbers that we liked. The epic forged was quite a bit more consistent in the right shaft, but too long, so he had them built 3* weak for aid in launch and spin.

mixed bag out on the course, hit some really nice shots but really had some trouble dialing in distances. They feel good and not bad on mishits, and I think paired with the right shaft, they could really help a lot of golfers.

going to be interesting to see how they truly compare to my apex combos!

If I understand correctly, bending 3* weak would take away 3* of bounce. Clearly they are working for you, but was that taken into consideration during the fitting? I might have this backwards.

Last edited:
I am so glad some of the guys got these irons, these irons made golf fun for me again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I understand correctly, bending 3* weak would take away 3* of bounce. Clearly they are working for you, but was that taken into consideration during the fitting?
It did not come up but I’m wondering it that was a problem with my consistency with them. Will give them a bit until I bend them back a little, but that could throw my gapping off a lot. ??‍♂️

If I understand correctly, bending 3* weak would take away 3* of bounce. Clearly they are working for you, but was that taken into consideration during the fitting? I might have this backwards.
I think it's the other way around. Loft goes up meaning the trail edge would lower further.

Not for me! Haha. But yes for a certain someone... @tomcat. Callaway’s generosity is truly unbelievable.

When Steven approached me about the new irons that weren’t in stock, he said that they would sub Berthas for them. I asked if another 2020 option would be good, and he said they would normally go Berthas since the top line is closest to the ones I was fit into. I told him that the other club Nick had me hitting was the Epic Forged, and Steven immediately asked if I wanted to go that route. I, of course, jumped all over that offer. I really enjoyed them and will add some to this thread shortly.

**edit - I absolutely don’t have anything against the Bertha irons, as I’ve had and played a set of them in the last couple of years. I was primarily hoping to get something other than a set I’ve had before.

Last edited:
So did the people that got fit for these at the GD all have the loft reduced? I find it interesting that the designers at Callaway worked to add loft and then people get fit and have it reduced.

No, I didn't have anything changed.

So did the people that got fit for these at the GD all have the loft reduced? I find it interesting that the designers at Callaway worked to add loft and then people get fit and have it reduced.

I don’t know of any who had the loft reduced. I believe @JourdanInMich had his loft weakened, or increased.

My spin is low right now, so he wanted to give me more loft to increase descent angle. I really need to work on AoA this offseason.

Mine where left stock loft. I had no issues holding greens or getting enough spin.

Wow. They look fantastic. I've always love the look of most of the Callaway line. Always distinctive.

For a long, forgiving iron they have a thin top line too. Hide the junk in the trunk really well. Love these irons!

Back