Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

Wow. Great review and one stunning looking driver family!

Which one will be for me?

Nice write up @Jman! That was a lot of technical info that I only understood about half of, but it was a great read. The big take away for me was the fairway woods.

Great write-up @Jman , lots of info in those pages. Very excited about the new Max LS and the Speed. Don’t know much about the stock shafts and the custom shaft option is from 2020, so appears still have some work in progress. I hate to lighten my wallet even more but the Callaway Customs in all black just looks Bada**!

View attachment 8988324

I really do love the Customs option.

the conspiracy theory crowd will rehash the tired ol' "they're trying to drive sales to the customs." the looks are very bold, will definitely stand out on a retail shelf, and are polar opposite of what i'd prefer to see. @Jimmy3864 mocked up a pretty sweet custom though.

i'll definitely hit these. i wish callaway would consider a more neutral max model. the mav max has been a great driver for me, but it does have an affinity for the left side of the golf course.

Once again Callaway raises the technology bar. Doc Hoc and his crew are so good at what they do and it's showing here. Personally I am not liking the color scheme, but the tech and performance is what matters. I will put this one on the list to hit and see if it can beat out what I have or what I have on the way.

@Jman you have been busy. Nice write up. You all are going to have some great products to showcase. Just don’t tell me these are better than the B21 please.

Early reviews have been really positive. The tech is definitely working on the forgiveness front. The Max LS intrigues me the most as someone who fights the lefts. I’m also excited to see that APW is back in play. Tinker time!

Hard not to be excited by these. Callaway just continues to improve every year. Absolutely love that they have brought the Mavrik sound into the Epic line. Best sounding driver ever. Looking forward to giving these a hit to see if they can beat out my Custom Mavirk and the RAD

Is the draw bias in the Max fairway coming from the lie angle of the head or some unseen weight placement? Trying to understand since the Max is the model with the adjustable sole weights from front to back. I would think those are more for spin management and launch than lateral bias.

Last edited:
The driver options look like a big step in the right direction. The looks are lacking in my opinion but the technology sounds awesome with an awesome spin profile. Very, very interesting - great article @Jman

Great info Jman. I'm almost scared to hit them as it looks like an easy way to spend $$$

Well, these are the only drivers on my radar for 2021. At first read they don't appear to be anything life-changing but they'll get a chance to show me otherwise.
I like what I'm reading about the Max LS. The other 2 don't really move my needle.

I'm in your camp @ArmyGolf ...the Max LS what I have read is the move from the Sub Zero and I need help with reducing spin so this driver is at the top of the list for me. Make it all black via custom and I am stoked.

What I have read about others that have hit the Max LS is that it has a lot of giddy up! Distance fitting this afternoon.....we'll see what happens. I am interested especially on what the optional upcharge shafts are and pricing (gulp)! I am a little afraid at going with the standard offering as have hear zero about them and how they play in the wild.

Happy Friday to you too! Now I really need to determine if this new swing and left to right ball flight is here to stay. There is a lot to digest here. Let me go back and read the review again.

The Max has my full attention!! I have to keep reminding myself that I don't need a new driver!! Great write up @Jman !!

👀 👀

Yet another fantastic Callaway driver release! 💚

I would be interested in putting the fairways up against my Mavrik SZ fariways and seeing numbers. I like that they made the SZ Driver more forgiving but don't need the fade bias. These should work well for a lot of players.

Swipe through for images

Love the pictures JB. Can you comment on the sound. The std. Mavrik is my favorite driver of all time sound wise. I am hoping the Epic Speed sounds the same or similar.

Love the pictures JB. Can you comment on the sound. The std. Mavrik is my favorite driver of all time sound wise. I am hoping the Epic Speed sounds the same or similar.

Here is what I can say about the sound.

I have only hit it indoors in the Tech Studio
It sounds similar to the MAVRIK line to me.

Here is what I can say about the sound.

I have only hit it indoors in the Tech Studio
It sounds similar to the MAVRIK line to me.
I think thats a good thing. Mavrik sounded fantastic IMO

I can't wait to check these out in person this year

Few things I am seeing that stand out besides the tech. The head shapes seem to have been shuffled around a bit and I absolutely love what they've done here. The Epic Speed has features that resemble the Mav SZ but even a bit different. It definitely looks to be more compact and the face looks like the mav sz. Love what they did with it. I am not big on sliding weights, so this would be one I would be extremely interested in.

Then, the Max LS looks so much like the Mavrik Triple Diamond. I am excited they finally went this direction in their initial retail releases. It's such a great shape. I can't wait to see how it stacks up against the Mav SZ TD.

I think thats a good thing. Mavrik sounded fantastic IMO

it was so muted. i actually liked the louder crack of the max. makes me feel like i hit it harder than i actually did haha

Is the draw bias in the Max coming from the lie angle of the head or some unseen weight placement? Trying to understand since the Max is the model with the adjustable sole weights from front to back. I would think those are more for spin management and launch than lateral bias.

Putting my thinking cap on here (i'm i'll be corrected if I am off base.), I think the spin will come from how forward or back the CG placement is relative to your strike pattern. The APW has traditionally been used to help with ball flight correction and tighten dispersion depending on the players miss. I am going to guess the draw bias here is similar to the Mav Max in terms of how they designed the head for the "draw bias" effect placing weight to help promote the right to left ball flight.

I am really interested to see how the new Epic line compares to the Mavrik. I have have a Mavrik and would think about moving if there is a bump there. I tend to stay in the same family when changes drivers because I have some shafts. The SIM 2 would be interesting as well but would require swapping adapters.

the conspiracy theory crowd will rehash the tired ol' "they're trying to drive sales to the customs." the looks are very bold, will definitely stand out on a retail shelf, and are polar opposite of what i'd prefer to see. @Jimmy3864 mocked up a pretty sweet custom though.

i'll definitely hit these. i wish callaway would consider a more neutral max model. the mav max has been a great driver for me, but it does have an affinity for the left side of the golf course.
You might need to try them. The first time I hit the Max LS, size, shape, and numbers made me think of you. Just based on things you've said before, there is potential there.

Sidenote- - everyone please forget the golf world isn't made up of THP'ers and mention 'Mclovin' out loud to a fitter. It creates a unique experience I think you all should have. :LOL:

Back