Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

The more I hit the Max LS, the more I like it. Playing tomorrow with it, so hoping for the best. Hit some at the range today and I was hitting quite a bit further than my TSi2 setup. Woth the Tensei Orange Pro 7S at 45.5, I was flying a bunch of balls into the trees at the end of my range. I typically only fly it into those trees when I absolutely stripe the ball. I flew a solid dozen+ balls into those trees. The Riptide setup wasn’t as long as the Tensei but will make a game time decision tomorrow AM.

Has anyone compared the Mav SZ Fw to the new Speed fw? What’s the general thinking? The mav is tempting because of the added ability to move the front and rear weight.

ugh another rough driving day. thce16 was no bueno. im10 going back in. how can i hit every other club so damn well, but hit driver like sh1t all day. so frustrating

Has anyone compared the Mav SZ Fw to the new Speed fw? What’s the general thinking? The mav is tempting because of the added ability to move the front and rear weight.

I used both and prefer the speed overall (using stock 70g stiff shafts). The Mav SZ seemed to me to have better control off the tee but launch and spin in speed are better for me. Speed just wants to go straight which isn’t a bad thing.

Hit the Max LS quite well on course today. Shot 2 under 70 and most of my drives today were solid. One of my better driving rounds in a while.

I used both and prefer the speed overall (using stock 70g stiff shafts). The Mav SZ seemed to me to have better control off the tee but launch and spin in speed are better for me. Speed just wants to go straight which isn’t a bad thing.
Those sounds like some pretty key improvements with the speed.

First time on the course with the Epic Max and must say it is a keeper. Only 1 bad shot and it ended up in the fairway regardless.

Decent day with the Speed, 9/14 which is below average for me, but some where near misses. Overall happy with the driver and seems to be performing better with the 6g weight in the head.

I really can’t see myself replacing my Max LS with anything, just point and shoot, solid driver and combined with the stability of the Accra TZ6, the combination for me is just too good. Just long and very forgiving across the entire face.

The Speed 7w I have is quickly becoming the favorite club in the bag. Holy crap this thing is easy to hit and goes forever.

The Max LS just continues to be such a solid driver for me. Distances are phenomenal and just hitting it so well right now. I'm sure that will change now that I've said this.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I will be putting the RadSpeed XB up against it when it comes in, but I just don't think it's going to beat it out. Will be fun to test them side by side.

The Speed 7w I have is quickly becoming the favorite club in the bag. Holy crap this thing is easy to hit and goes forever.

Agree, it's an excellent fairway.

Well a 20% sale and reward credit just made that easy. Based on the comments above, I picked up a 9° Max LS with the Project X HZRDUS Smoke iM10 50 Graphite 5.5 shaft. Figured I could loft up to open up the face. I’m going away for a 4 day golf weekend with 7 other guys on Thursday and had the club shipped 2 day UPS to the Pro Shop to put in to play this weekend.
That is great look forward to your post from your trip and how you like it. Played in a scramble yesterday totally relaxed on the tee and just was amazed at how good this driver is. I need to take that relaxed scramble mentality to the tee all the time lol. Have fun on your trip.

Well, I'm back from my Golfing trip I took in Michigan (Gull View Lake) and I would say without question the LS is more neutral than the Max.
In 6 rounds of golf, NOT ONE HOOKED DRIVE ALL WEEKEND! Nice little baby draws or Straight drives. Just what I have been missing for the first half of this year.
In fact I tried to move the weight all the way to the toe and I began getting a strong fade, which was no good.

CPO really came through for me, the driver showed up at the course 1 hour after I got there.

Really liking the Project X HZRDUS Smoke iM10 50 Graphite shaft - Got in a 5.5 and it really makes a difference.
Can't wait to get my Counterbalanced VA Nemesys shaft in there and see what I can eke out.

Last edited:
ugh another rough driving day. thce16 was no bueno. im10 going back in. how can i hit every other club so damn well, but hit driver like sh1t all day. so frustrating
I believe this will be changing shortly with your new shaft that's on it's way! Can't wait to hear about the improvement!

I believe this will be changing shortly with your new shaft that's on it's way! Can't wait to hear about the improvement!

hell yes! will be interesting. the velocity sounds like a pretty unique profile. i’m SUPER excited to get it in play. i’ll be bouncing back and forth between the threads with feedback. thinking this may be an awesome combo.

@McLovin
I'm waiting for your trip to DFW for an Artisan Wedge fitting and to get your driver fit for a TPT Golf Shaft.:ROFLMAO:

I’ve really had a lot of success with the Epic Flash and hadn’t planned on upgrading. Held out for a while but now I have a Customs driver incoming.

I’ve really had a lot of success with the Epic Flash and hadn’t planned on upgrading. Held out for a while but now I have a Customs driver incoming.

Nice. Which one did you go with?

Nice. Which one did you go with?

Epic Max, going with a lower loft than the Flash to try and bring launch/spin does just a little while keeping the forgiveness.

I played with someone who has the Epic Speed driver in the bag, and wow does it ever sound good! Just a great CRACK when he stuck the ball... I really want to try!

I played with someone who has the Epic Speed driver in the bag, and wow does it ever sound good! Just a great CRACK when he stuck the ball... I really want to try!
It does but you can still tell where on the face you missed too. Sets up nice behind the ball, and moveable lady and right if needed.

A couple rounds in with the Max 5wd and I'm really enjoying it. I wish I was hitting it a little farther off the tee but I did hit it to less than 20' from 230ish out on Sunday so it will get more time in the bag for sure. ;)

Put the custom LS up for sale and am bringing the custom Speed tomorrow to be see if I actually want to keep it as a B/1a driver. I really haven't been using it lately. We're in the UT/3i time of year, and I have a lot of those I like. See how it performs. Maybe I just need a reminder..

Back