Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

Ummm so yesterday @Lions81 let me borrow his Epic Speed. 10.5* head with stock IM10 shaft. I felt like Phil out there yesterday hitting flat out bombs! Hit a couple well over 300 yds and I was places I hadn't seen before. I loved the sound and the head shape. Was able to work it both ways which was fun and had one of my best driving rounds in a while. It actually cost me a couple strokes because I was hitting too good and through the fairway on two holes. :oops: Definitely some pop in that head and while I didn't think the shaft combo would be the greatest it actually worked quite well for me.

Well a 20% sale and reward credit just made that easy. Based on the comments above, I picked up a 9° with the Project X HZRDUS Smoke iM10 50 Graphite 5.5 shaft. Figured I could loft up to open up the face. I’m going away for a 4 day golf weekend with 7 other guys on Thursday and had the club shipped 2 day UPS to the Pro Shop to put in to play this weekend.
That is great look forward to your post from your trip and how you like it. Played in a scramble yesterday totally relaxed on the tee and just was amazed at how good this driver is. I need to take that relaxed scramble mentality to the tee all the time lol. Have fun on your trip.

I hit my buddy's epic speed fairway 4 wood over the weekend while out Monday morning with the stock shaft. It was so good and being able to get the extra little bit of loft to clear a few trees on short doglegs was really nice.

Last edited:
Anyone out there play the Epic Flash and now Epic Max? I’m having a hard time finding a comparison out there anywhere on the internet.

So I've been working with the HZRDUS Smoke Blue and the Ventus Blue in the Speed. The HZRDUS allows me to hit it farther but the dispersion suffered while my distance suffers with the Ventus but my dispersion gets a little better. The only problem is I was swinging the HZRDUS when I was having real swing issues and I THINK I've fixed those so the Smoke Blue is going back in for a couple rounds to see what the gamer for the rest of the year is going to be.

But regarding the Speed, no matter what kind of swing I'm putting on, it just keeps me in play. There's something special in the AI face that I haven't had before. Really hoping to dial in a little more in the next few weeks since my swing is finally feeling good again and I actually feel like I can get off the tee without worry that I'm going to blast one off the planet

Anyone out there play the Epic Flash and now Epic Max? I’m having a hard time finding a comparison out there anywhere on the internet.
I went from Epic Flash SZ to Mavrik SZ to Epic Max LS... Not the exact comparison that you are asking for, but I’ll answer any questions you have?

I'm playing max now and used both flash/Flash SZ

I'm playing max now and used both flash/Flash SZ

Knew I should have asked you first lol.

The Max and standard flash are pretty similar in shape. Looking for comparison in launch/spin and also forgiveness, dispersion etc…

Knew I should have asked you first lol.

The Max and standard flash are pretty similar in shape. Looking for comparison in launch/spin and also forgiveness, dispersion etc…

so shape is why i'm comfortable with Max now. Speed was faster but shape just didn't sit well with me and upon dialing in the right shaft, MAX is just as fast as speed for me. For me, where max and flash are similar are launch and spin on off center hits. Both seem to retain BS pretty well and manage extreme misses better than the other two models but where MAX is better for me is that MAX launches higher than flash did for me in same lofts without adding spin like lofting up did with flash. For me, spin wise i would go:

FLash (high)
Max
Max LS
Flash SZ (lowest)

Launch wise i would go
Max (high)
Flash/Max LS
FLash SZ

Granted i play a 50g shaft now and during my fitting in March i tried both 60g and 50g.

Sunday was my best driving day yet with the Max LS. No duck hooks (finally) and only one that I lost right, but I was still able to play from there. Take that one drive away, which was shortened by the trees, and I averaged 279 yards on 8 drives. Definitely was a big help in shooting 79, and getting our team to finish 3rd in our clubs 4th of July best 2 of 4 Stableford.

Yeah same shaft, I brought my driver with me. It has to be the swing I put on it just not sure why.
I only bring this up because I went from the Flash to the Max LS and I dropped my spin by 1k, but I think that had a lot to do with the shaft. I know the head had some to do with it, but when paired with the correct shaft it was crazy what it did. The shaft in my Flash was not a good fit for the Max LS.

Missed one fairway last night at league, tried swinging to hard and just blocked it right but was still playable because I got over the trees.

I am not a fairway wood person. Have not used one in close to 2 years and not had one in my bag regularly in close to 6 years.

With that out of the way, the Epic Speed 5 wood is about as close to changing that as I have been in years. In the Sim this morning I compared it to 4 others and had better ball speed than all of them and more importantly for a golfer like me is better ball speed toe side than EVERY single thing I put up against it. I was getting 3 wood numbers out of 5 wood forgiveness and it fills a gap in my bag that is pretty darn important at our new club.

I might try to find a permanent one as this was a loaner and see if it ends up as a permanent fixture because so far I am super impressed.

I am not a fairway wood person. Have not used one in close to 2 years and not had one in my bag regularly in close to 6 years.

With that out of the way, the Epic Speed 5 wood is about as close to changing that as I have been in years. In the Sim this morning I compared it to 4 others and had better ball speed than all of them and more importantly for a golfer like me is better ball speed toe side than EVERY single thing I put up against it. I was getting 3 wood numbers out of 5 wood forgiveness and it fills a gap in my bag that is pretty darn important at our new club.

I might try to find a permanent one as this was a loaner and see if it ends up as a permanent fixture because so far I am super impressed.

Were launch and spin lower with 5wd Speed or on par with other manufacturers? Last fairway wood I had success with was Rocketballz tour 5wd .....didn't need a 3wd

Were launch and spin lower with 5wd Speed or on par with other manufacturers? Last fairway wood I had success with was Rocketballz tour 5wd .....didn't need a 3wd

Similar. Just had more speed, especially that toe side miss, which is my nemesis with a fairway wood.

max 5wd with MMT 70S will be tested this Friday on course, looking forward to trying that shaft and that head

I hit my buddy's epic speed fairway 4 wood over the weekend while out Monday morning with the stock shaft. It was so good and being able to get the extra little bit of loft to clear a few trees on short doglegs was really nice.
Just bought one today. Replaces a Rogue 4wd I’ve had for a few years.

I couldn't imagine not having a fairway wood in my bag. Have had the 3w/5w setup in the bag since age 10, but the way clubs are today it's not needed all the time. I definitely don't use mine as much as I used to. It's also absurd to me to see some of the distances people are getting with 3w and 5w. I don't have the speed fwy woods, but hitting a 3w 250 off the tee is nuts to me, especially even more nuts that I expect that now haha.

The Max LS is impressing me with how easy it is for me to launch. Been struggling with my TSi2 and just need to put it in the corner for a while. Ran to the range to give the Max LS a few swats. It is so easy to launch! I actually put it in the one degree lower loft position. The last time I took it on course (in a scramble…which was a bad idea), I was surprised to lose a bunch drives out right. So for giggles, I put it in the draw setting at the range today (a mind blowing concept for a guy that detests a left miss)….and I was hitting it pretty great. I have some pretty good setup issues with the driver, which I discovered in Myrtle beach. So I have work to do on that, but the Max LS will likely bump the TSi out for a bit. I had good fun hitting it about an hour ago.

PS: The PX Riptide 6.5 is a really fun shaft. Smooth as silk and so easy to swing. It seems like a really nice match for my tendencies. Think the Ventus needs a break.

The Max LS is impressing me with how easy it is for me to launch. Been struggling with my TSi2 and just need to put it in the corner for a while. Ran to the range to give the Max LS a few swats. It is so easy to launch! I actually put it in the one degree lower loft position. The last time I took it on course (in a scramble…which was a bad idea), I was surprised to lose a bunch drives out right. So for giggles, I put it in the draw setting at the range today (a mind blowing concept for a guy that detests a left miss)….and I was hitting it pretty great. I have some pretty good setup issues with the driver, which I discovered in Myrtle beach. So I have work to do on that, but the Max LS will likely bump the TSi out for a bit. I had good fun hitting it about an hour ago.

PS: The PX Riptide 6.5 is a really fun shaft. Smooth as silk and so easy to swing. It seems like a really nice match for my tendencies. Think the Ventus needs a break.
The higher launch surprised me when I first got the Max LS. I was thinking it would launch like the Sub Zero models of the past but it is so easy to get airborne.

The higher launch surprised me when I first got the Max LS. I was thinking it would launch like the Sub Zero models of the past but it is so easy to get airborne.
100%! I’m excited to spend more time with this and try dialing it in.

EE4FE49A-6761-4127-8B63-DC46C0945061.jpeg
So much for the 8 week ETA. I have to look when I ordered it but I don’t think it’s even been 2 weeks! Playing tomorrow morning but will continue to play my tsi3 as it has been really good to me lately. I ordered this triple diamond with the riptide 6.0 shaft and it swing weights at d5.5 so I will have to order some different weights before it goes to the course.EE4FE49A-6761-4127-8B63-DC46C0945061.jpeg

Hit a couple off the tee and one off an above my feet uphill lie today with the 5 max. Felt like I crushed them but they didn’t go as far as I hoped. Was windy today though so will keep testing as pay more attention to distance. Also the draw bias didn’t stand out at all to me.

😎 7w FTW!!

E7B3EC17-41DB-46A0-B8A8-D5913B21FB2C.jpeg

Finally, this showed up in the mail today. Epic Max 10.5. Hoping rain holds out tomorrow so I can get to play it.

Attachments

• IMG_3552.jpg
    IMG_3552.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 9
Back