Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

Today Live at 2pm ET these will be discussed heavily and tested.

And I will be glued to my computer screen. Even more so than normal. :) I'll get my chance at these on Tuesday.

Well I ended up with a purchase I hadn’t planned on making today. Went in to solidify my iron purchase and ended up hitting the drivers for awhile. I hit both the speed and max LS with a couple of shafts. At first I liked the head shape of the speed but once I started hitting the LS it didn’t take long before I knew that was the head for me. The LS is an absolute beast and for me performed way better than the speed, feel and sound are excellent. I ended up ordering with the MMT 70 shaft, this will be the first Callaway driver I have had in the bag since the 816 dbd. Ordering up an adapter for my Graphite design Tour Ad-HD or VR tonight.

I really like the look of the Max LS head. It’s a deeper face but still slightly stretched back. I’m going to have to try this out really soon just because I’m curious about it.

Oh snap...I forgot about the customs option and this year you can get the crown without the chevron alignment aid. I may have to call the shop tomorrow and change my order for a solid black one although the color of the stock one does not bother me at all

Great information today.. I cannot wait to try these!

Oh snap...I forgot about the customs option and this year you can get the crown without the chevron alignment aid. I may have to call the shop tomorrow and change my order for a solid black one although the color of the stock one does not bother me at all

i love this idea!

Reactions: MH
does anybody know whether or not callaway will be offering their usual 50% trade-in bonus this year? i just called and got an evasive answer from the salesperson. essentially "as of now we haven't been told that it is in the plans, but that could always change."

epic max LS is very intriguing, and is even more so with a trade in bonus.

does anybody know whether or not callaway will be offering their usual 50% trade-in bonus this year? i just called and got an evasive answer from the salesperson. essentially "as of now we haven't been told that it is in the plans, but that could always change."

epic max LS is very intriguing, and is even more so with a trade in bonus.

Last year they didn't do it until a bit after preorder but still honored it for my trade when I contacted them. I don't think they will this year as they have been selling out without it... but I selfishly hope they do.

Last year they didn't do it until a bit after preorder but still honored it for my trade when I contacted them. I don't think they will this year as they have been selling out without it... but I selfishly hope they do.
That's what I was afraid of...with everybody picking up golf right now they're probably doing well enough to not need it. Oh well!

Has anybody compared the Max LS and the TSi3?

From yesterdays info from D-Nev's and this article, it has me thinking. I just finally picked up a Mavrik SZ this last spring, and I'm hitting it well, but I feel like I can do better. I had it on the Trackman and I was seeing my spin WAY to low. I was consistently between 1750 and 2000, and that was with a 1.45-1.49 smash, so I know I was hitting it well. The carry numbers were still in line with usual, too. So, I can't help but think the Speed or LS would benefit my game even more, if I can sneak up my spin to around 2100 to 2300 instead.

The TXG review for those who follow.

The TXG review for those who follow.

I saw this earlier. Looks like the LS and the Max are low spin more than anticipated. I know Matt's swing is pretty good and most of us have a different move, but for those looking for low spin, those two heads offer that.

I saw this earlier. Looks like the LS and the Max are low spin more than anticipated. I know Matt's swing is pretty good and most of us have a different move, but for those looking for low spin, those two heads offer that.

He walks back the low spin talk on the Max later in the review due to the loft difference, but still lower spin than the Mav Max IIRC. Also the sound improvement bit was noteworthy based on talk in some other threads this week.

I think it will be really interesting to see someone who puts to much spin on the ball hit these. As much as its fun to watch Matt hit balls a bazillion miles, in reality he is the isolated case: someone who puts low spin by nature of his swing on drivers. So much speed, he doesn't need much to keep it in the air.

He walks back the low spin talk on the Max later in the review due to the loft difference, but still lower spin than the Mav Max IIRC. Also the sound improvement bit was noteworthy based on talk in some other threads this week.

Correct. The LS head was 10.5 and the Max was 9. I think that introduces some variance, but when compared to the mav max, this max is coming in lower than I thought.

I think it will be really interesting to see someone who puts to much spin on the ball hit these. As much as its fun to watch Matt hit balls a bazillion miles, in reality he is the isolated case: someone who puts low spin by nature of his swing on drivers. So much speed, he doesn't need much to keep it in the air.

I agree, that's why I mentioned others who put a different move on the ball. I'm guessing the spin jumps up, but what caught my eye was for players like Matt these two heads can produce some low spin to help them.

This is where might live. I’m really intrigued by the Max, and tend to be a higher spin hitter. Hopefully I can hit it soon and provide some feedback, but I’m very interested to see the forgiveness without too high spin possibility.

I think the thing that amazes me is that I have seen 3 reviews and those people picked 3 different drivers.
Think you really have to get fit for this set of heads.

Correct. The LS head was 10.5 and the Max was 9. I think that introduces some variance, but when compared to the mav max, this max is coming in lower than I thought.

Be interesting if they do a shaft fitting with the Max LS if with a higher launch shaft with a softer tip section if he gains the launch and spin he wants and is able to put some more energy into the ball.

I agree, that's why I mentioned others who put a different move on the ball. I'm guessing the spin jumps up, but what caught my eye was for players like Matt these two heads can produce some low spin to help them.

Completely agree. I am curious to see how they respond in "common folks" hands. I know I can't wait to see how the heads work for me. A little less spin wouldn't hurt for my launch window.

Be interesting if they do a shaft fitting with the Max LS if with a higher launch shaft with a softer tip section if he gains the launch and spin he wants and is able to put some more energy into the ball.

Completely agree. I am curious to see how they respond in "common folks" hands. I know I can't wait to see how the heads work for me. A little less spin wouldn't hurt for my launch window.
they mentioned running a test with the 10.5 head and different shafts to see what the output could be. That one should give a better representation of what the club can do. I know I am no where close to Matt and his swing, but they do a great job of breaking down why they are seeing what they see and correlating that back to slower swing speeds.

From what I am hearing the fairway woods may be an even bigger leap than the the drivers.

From what I am hearing the fairway woods may be an even bigger leap than the the drivers.
That I don't need to hear, I love my Mavrik SZ fairways.

TXG's initial feedback on the fairway woods, but just the speed.

TXG's initial feedback on the fairway woods, but just the speed.

There are only two this time. Speed and max. It is funny that they talk about the 4 wood. I think the 4 wood is basically the new 3 wood as most need more launch and these fairway woods are all going so far now.

There are only two this time. Speed and max.

Oh I know. Just saying they only review the Speed in this video. They don't review the Max.

Back