Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

I hit my 815 DBD better than the new GBB. For me the look of a club at address certainly has something to do with how well I hit it. The mind is a powerful thing, especially in golf.

I feel a little heretical posting this query given the enthusiasm for the GBB, but what the heck.

I've not playing at all for a few years due to a new child and beer.
So in a blatant attempt to get my fat arse off the couch and slim it down by getting me back onto the golf course, my honey bunny bought me a brand spanking new Big Bertha Alpha(2014 version) for Christmas.
I suspect she was swayed by the massive discount from the golf shop. I'm in Australia and it was $499, now $199!
In any case, she was undoubtedly unaware that the Alpha is for 'better' golfers, and that I am not one of those mythical beasts.

But to humour her, I took it out on the range to compare the hooks I'd hit with it to those I hit with my long term left-side companion, the R7 Superquad (made more expensive by it's trendy at the time Matrix shaft).
To my consternation, I hit the Alpha notably better than the R7.
Somewhat longer, somewhat higher, somewhat less left.
I also loved the sound and feel.
Enthused by this, I got back into reading golf forums, especially this one, and learned that the new Great Big Berthawas even betterer! More forgiving, more longer, more unspinny, more higher launching. More more!
So of course I bought one. Well, two actually with different shafts and lofts.
But now, to even more consternation, I find that I hit the unforgiving obsolete Alpha better than the shiny new (albeit used) GBBs.
The GBB feels too light, too 'flighty' and too lefty.
I'm obviously in the minority, but am I alone in this?
Lofts are the same at 10.5. Shafts are the stock Fubuki ZT reg in the Alpha and the Kuro stiff in the GBB. Swing speed is high 90s and I can get a bit aggressive.
It may be a weight thing as I'm a big lad and do like the feel of a weightier club and GBB feels much lighter.
In the GBB's defence, this is based on a few (long) range sessions, with crappy balls. I haven't explored launch monitors yet.

This freaking driver, its crazy, its legitimately as close to "coming home" as I have ever had where it pertains to golf clubs. Coming off a review for a new driver and then some tinkering for grins with another one this one back in the hands is just comfortable. Right back in to a spin and launch profile that works for me, but more importantly its still the most playable driver on misses I've owned/gamed/reviewed. Its silly at times, and I love it for that.

Are any of the GBB owners noticing the same loss of color around the club head where the shaft goes into the head , it may just be the stress from ball contact and the matte finish coming off, The club is less than 1 month old with 2 rounds and some range time.
unnamed_zpsyetzb8pf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Not seen anything like that over three heads I pretty much worked to the max. I'd honestly contact Callaway CS and ask them, for sure.

Not seen anything like that over three heads I pretty much worked to the max. I'd honestly contact Callaway CS and ask them, for sure.
Thanks James, I had not seen this before either, of course it doesn't affect the play at all just a cosmetic flaw maybe.

Thanks James, I had not seen this before either, of course it doesn't affect the play at all just a cosmetic flaw maybe.
Def worth shooting them a line or calling though imo, for sure.

For my first post I will jump in here!

What a great review and thread. Anyone move from a 915 to the GBB? I demoed GBB and am waiting till it warms up here to really give it a go on the range. It's impressive but I'm having an even more impressive run of hitting things off the heel/hosel right now :banghead:

Can anyone tell my 915 not to be nervous? Or is it invevitbale the GBB kicks it out???

For my first post I will jump in here!

What a great review and thread. Anyone move from a 915 to the GBB? I demoed GBB and am waiting till it warms up here to really give it a go on the range. It's impressive but I'm having an even more impressive run of hitting things off the heel/hosel right now :banghead:

Can anyone tell my 915 not to be nervous? Or is it invevitbale the GBB kicks it out???

I did not make that move, but did review the 915 for a long period of time. They are pretty different drivers. I found the GBB more forgiving in terms of ball speed and spin laterally. Both are pretty solid drivers, but I do hit the GBB further both on the center and when I miss (part of that will be fitting).

I put another round in with the GBB today and lofted it down to 9*, wind was blowing 20-25mph, and had results like you would expect, very predictable. Short into the wind, went offline across the wind, and long with the wind at my back. I did have one shot where the wind completely died, would have been blowing across left to right anyway, on a 330 yard par 4. The fairway has a slight dogleg perfect for a fade but there isn't any trouble straight at the flag either. I went straight at it and absolutely striped it, went up to look for it and couldn't find it for about 5 minutes around the 250-275 yard range until I went up closer to the green. It was about 10 feet from the green and I was able to chip on and make my putt for birdie.

Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

Played 18 with the GBB yesterday and was pounding the ball. Had a few bad shots but that was due to a poor swing but on multiple occasions I lost my ball in the air and went to the spot my drives normally end at on my home course only to find it 15 yards ahead of that.

On my home course we have a hole where you can play it safe and go to the right and be about 130 out or you can take the risk and go over the water and over the sand trap and have around 75 yards left. I have never made it over the water. Yesterday the top of the sand trap was 245 to carry and there was some wind in your face but decided to try to go over the water. Carried the water and ended about 15 yards over the sand trap for about a 260ish yard drive dead into the wind.

Played GBB Saturday and was longer on a few holes than I ever remember being in the past. FW % was not good, but I had a couple drives farther out than I deserved thanks to the GBB's magical forgiveness. :D I am so looking forward to getting in a groove with this driver.

I keep staring at mine waiting for the snow to melt. If the weather holds up, I could be on the course by Valentine's Day.

Does anyone play theirs less than 45.5? If so, did you do anything to offset the loss of swing weight? I know there are several options but just curious to hear what worked best for GBB.

Does anyone play theirs less than 45.5? If so, did you do anything to offset the loss of swing weight? I know there are several options but just curious to hear what worked best for GBB.

I play mine at 45".
I have done several changes however including grip and then redid swing weight.

Just went to my local golftown and compared this against the M1, DBD, & XR Pro.

Out of all of them, this one felt the best!

I have the stock KK shaft at 45.5", but also 2 other slightly heavier shafts 61g @ 45" that I have tips on and have played with. I think it really depends on your preferences. I am not someone that worries too much about swing weight as I can barely tell the difference. If you are, than it will really be about getting to your comfort area.

I know if you custom order it that Callaway can make some adjustments to swing weight to get it closer to your desired specs.

So finally was able to get out and test on course GBB 10.5 "animal style" aka two weights in APW track. Both weights were placed in fade setting.

First impression was the amount of weight added and how the balance point changed with the addition. Overall I don't know the swing weight but using a 70g shaft has to put this close to D5. First drive was a pull and after that all my drives were pull fades, which I'm not to mad about since all drives were in play on left side of fairway. Distance was not there since I was just trying it out but a few more rounds and I'll be able to make a decision if I want to keep the two weights or go to single weight and lead tape on the toe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So finally was able to get out and test on course GBB 10.5 "animal style" aka two weights in APW track. Both weights were placed in fade setting.

Any hints on where to find a second sliding weight? I've been scouring eBay, etc. and haven't been able to find anything yet...

Any hints on where to find a second sliding weight? I've been scouring eBay, etc. and haven't been able to find anything yet...

Find an old beat up BB2014 use that weight

Didn't realize it was the same weight - thanks!

Guy I bought it from said that's where he got his from.

For those that were fit into the GBB, how many shafts did you try to find out which one was the right one for you?
They have about 18 different free upgrade shafts available and I want to make sure that I'm using the best possible shaft!

I will have a bit more information later but I bit this during my fitting this morning and it was between this and the M2 but the adjustability on this gave it the edge along with a couple extra yards distance

Just a quick teaser but I gained almost 30 yards over the Callaway 815 I have been using lately despite my bad swing not getting the spin below 4000RPM..... So if I can get my swing fixed the fitter reckons there is even more distance that can be found and I will be able to adjust the sliding weight more towards ths neutral setting as my sbot shape straightens out from the fade it currently had

Back