Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

Me hitting the Max yesterday is throwing a total wrench into my driver this year.
Straight enough that you can drop the 2nd driver?

Straight enough that you can drop the 2nd driver?

Dont be crazy. I use the 2nd driver for multiple things. Keeps me from taking crazy chances off the deck on par 5s. More forgiving than most 3 woods for off the tee.

Dont be crazy. I use the 2nd driver for multiple things. Keeps me from taking crazy chances off the deck on par 5s. More forgiving than most 3 woods for off the tee.
Haha. Like a self imposed governor. Can't try for the hero shot if you don't have the necessary club available.

I've been hitting this driver a lot at the range over the last couple days. The swings I took with the Standard were pretty eye-opening as to how much lower launch and spin it is than the Max. I heart the Max.

I also don't think I love the sound of the Standard. Maybe I just don't love the sound of CF drivers in general. And it could be why I kinda liked the sound of the EF and EF SZ.

I was swapping some driver shafts in and out of the Max head yesterday. Rogue Silver, The ATTAS, ATTAS Coool, and THCE16. It was fun to see how those changes affected the flight. I should probably put the Riptide back in that mix just for some more information. Right now I'm loving The ATTAS. Very smooth, and I hit my best drives of the day with that combo. So there's good potential there.

I've been hitting this driver a lot at the range over the last couple days. The swings I took with the Standard were pretty eye-opening as to how much lower launch and spin it is than the Max. I heart the Max.

I also don't think I love the sound of the Standard. Maybe I just don't love the sound of CF drivers in general. And it could be why I kinda liked the sound of the EF and EF SZ.

I was swapping some driver shafts in and out of the Max head yesterday. Rogue Silver, The ATTAS, ATTAS Coool, and THCE16. It was fun to see how those changes affected the flight. I should probably put the Riptide back in that mix just for some more information. Right now I'm loving The ATTAS. Very smooth, and I hit my best drives of the day with that combo. So there's good potential there.

Is there one of those white-glove, duel-slap emoji's? ;)

I hit both yesterday too, and I really didn't see much difference in spin, which may have to do with my positive AoA, and my swing is way more inconsistent than yours. I do think the sound is appreciably different, but both quite pleasing. For now, I'm a full blown standard guy. Something about looking down at that head shape that just looks filthy fast. Nothing but BOMBS baby!

Last edited:
Is there one of those white-glove, duel-slap emoji's? ;)

I hit both yesterday too, and I really didn't see much difference in spin, which may have to do with my positive AoA, and my swing is way more inconsistent than yours. I do think the sound is appreciably different, but both quite pleasing. For now, I'm a full blown standard guy. Something about looking down at that head shape that just looks filthy fast. Nothing but BOMBS baby!

on looks alone, I totally agree. the standard is absolutely phenomenal in its shape. FOR ME, it sits extremely square to even a bit open (I had the sleeve at +1D). I was making freaking excellent contact, but not seeing optimal results. I had to think about trying to hit it sky high to get any kind of carry and distance. so i'm a max guy and i'm ok with that!

I will be getting out this weekend both days for some play. Ready to hit some bombs with the max and enjoy some nice weather.

So there’s a box coming today that might make my driver work with the Mavrik a little more interesting. Now if I can get the weather to clear to get data....

Any idea what is different in their measuring system to account for the .25”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Callaway normally measured to the end of the shaft. So say a driver was Spec’d at 45.5” to the end of the shaft once you put an MCC type grip on it the butt cap usually adds 1/4”. Making that same club now measure 45.75” to end of the grip.

Now their specs measure to the end of the grip so the same length driver will show as 45.75” in their specs page.

So there’s a box coming today that might make my driver work with the Mavrik a little more interesting. Now if I can get the weather to clear to get data....

What’s in the box?

Me hitting the Max yesterday is throwing a total wrench into my driver this year.

Solid driver for sure.
My numbers yesterday.:

Mav Max 12* Riptde 50 5.5
126 ball, 16.3 launch, 2221 spin, 204 carry, 225 roll

Mav std 10.5* Riptide 50 5.5
123 ball, 17.0 launch, 1604 spin, 202 carry, 230 total

Speed zone 12* Tensei CK Blue Reg
124 ball, 13.5* launch, 1924 spin, 189 carry, offline 25

Cobra was a mess for me. Dispersion was everywhere. I’d like to try the Mav std head in 12*. The 10.5 was a bit too low spinning for my taste.

I don’t have the numbers in front of me but from what I remember these are close

Mavrik Max 12* Fuji Pro 2.0 - 145 ball speed,13* launch, 2500 or so spin. 245 carry

Srixon 785 11.5* Helium - 135 ball speed, 10* launch, 4K spin. 215-220 carry

Those numbers may be off. I can’t remember what they were exactly but those are close. Also the Callaway was much better dispersion wise. I was all over the place with the Srixon. My typical fades and pulls. Mavrik was pretty much right down the middle. Also this might be the best sounding and feeling driver I’ve ever hit

Last edited:
Taking the Mavrik SZ on it's 1st outing in the morning if the rain clears out. Going to try the Rogue 1st and see how it plays.

I don’t have the numbers in front of me but from what I remember these are close

Mavrik Max 12* Fuji Pro 2.0 - 145 ball speed,13* launch, 2500 or so spin. 245 carry

Srixon 785 11.5* Helium - 135 ball speed, 10* launch, 4K spin. 215-220 carry

Those numbers may be off. I can’t remember what they were exactly but those are close. Also the Callaway was much better dispersion wise. I was all over the place with the Srixon. My typical fades and pulls. Mavrik was pretty much right down the middle. Also this might be the best sounding and feeling driver I’ve ever hit

any idea what the weight of the helium is vs Fuji pro 2.0?

any idea what the weight of the helium is vs Fuji pro 2.0?

Both are 50-55gr. Seem to be pretty similar. The Fuji has lower torque and felt firmer.

If I had more time I would’ve asked to try a Helium in the Maverick or had him fix me up a Srixon with the Fuji

I’ve been shaft tinkering too. The ZF and DF are great shafts but I felt my carry could be better. The ZF is great in my EF SZ Triple Diamond as it manages spin nicely (2200-2600 rpm) and gave me a peak height around 100 feet. As a relatively low spin player, I decided to try a Diamana BF 50 Stiff (tipped 1/2”) in the Mavik drivers. The BF‘s mid launch with a bit more spin than ZF/DF was just what was needed! Carry distances improved and ball flight stabilized (no wild low spin curves or knuckle ball shots). I think the Mavrik and Mavrik SZ may be the most forgiving drivers I have hit. The ball just wants to go straight even on bad contact!

I’ve been shaft tinkering too. The ZF and DF are great shafts but I felt my carry could be better. The ZF is great in my EF SZ Triple Diamond as it manages spin nicely (2200-2600 rpm) and gave me a peak height around 100 feet. As a relatively low spin player, I decided to try a Diamana BF 50 Stiff (tipped 1/2”) in the Mavik drivers. The BF‘s mid launch with a bit more spin than ZF/DF was just what was needed! Carry distances improved and ball flight stabilized (no wild low spin curves or knuckle ball shots). I think the Mavrik and Mavrik SZ may be the most forgiving drivers I have hit. The ball just wants to go straight even on bad contact!
Ooh, the BF is a great shaft. I have like practically every blueboard type profile that Mitsubishi has put out.

Finally got some trackman time booked for Monday. Will have the opportunity to compare the standard to the SZ which I didn't get to hit at ECPC.

Will be testing the Ventus Red 7x, LAGP Trono, LAGP TPOC, and Rogue white 130 70x. All 4 are different profiles so it should be a lot of fun.

Well. That UPS delivery was pretty max cool. :p

Ooh, the BF is a great shaft. I have like practically every blueboard type profile that Mitsubishi has put out.

I have had great success with the Blueboard profile. I was using Tensei Pro Blue 60/70 Stiff prior to moving the BF 50/60 Stiff. Moving to lighter shafts has enhanced my strike greatly. I’m now in the middle of the club face with an up/down pattern versus everything being high toe.

Back