Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

So, I finally got my Mavrik out on the course yesterday. I had taken advantage of Callaway's trade in program and picked up a SZ for the hell of it. Thought it would be fun to have a shootout. When I was in California, I was hitting the ball a lot higher than I would like and thought I would like to have something designed for lower launch on hand just in case. Well, I decided that I just really like the look of the standard so much better that I decided to sell of the SZ I bought before it even hit the course.

I am so glad I did. I didn't see the same ultra high ball flight that I did at The Hideaway. Was hitting some very piercing drives yesterday. And, this thing feels just as intoxicating as it did 4 months ago.

In terms of how it played. As always, it's still up to the golfer making the swing to square the face. You come through with the face opened or closed, be prepared to suffer the consequences. But, I traversed the face a bit more than I would like to admit the first few holes and suffered very little ill effect because of it. I hit my first drive so far off the heel on the first hole that I thought I was done for. But, it started low and left and peeled back into the fairway. Got a solid 300 out of it even. Set me up for a short approach on a short par 5. My Mavrik Pro PW made short work of what was left which is another silly club in it's own right.

But, as the round went on, I slowly figured out what I was doing wrong. With about 4 months of rust, I was still hitting some pretty good drives. I had some misses. But, nothing was a crazy miss if that makes sense. I was suffering from some very simple alignment issues. I was lining up for a fade which was essentially my stock shot last year. But, the ball was just starting left and staying left for the most part. Turns out I was lining up a lot further left than I intended. Once I figured that out, I was absolutely striping it.

By the end of the round, I had so much confidence with it. As long as I was lined up where I should be, I could just swing away. It was one of those days where my driving just got better and better as my confidence grew, and the round went on.

I have tee times on Saturday and Sunday this weekend. And, I absolutely cannot wait to hit this club again. It is so fun to have a club in the bag that isn't ultra demanding that still gives me all of the distance benefits of a flat trajectory and low spin. I am kind of a traditionalist. I have shied away from the forgiving drivers due to the typical large footprint or elongated shape. But, they really did it right with the Mavrik. The AI face allows them to give you all of the benefits of forgiveness and consistency without having to push the limits in MOI by making the club head stretched with a lot of weight low and back.

Question for players with the Mav Max. Are you setting it up with the heavier weight in the heel and setting the adapter up at a "draw" setting also? Mine is coming in today and I hope to get to hit it at the range, but wanted to see what most people are setting it up with. I am looking for an easier way to hit draws of course with the Max. I hit my irons really well and with a draw but the driver has been a heavy fade (slice) for a while now and I am looking to get some help. Yes, I know it has mostly to do with driver swing, face and path, but hoping this driver might assist me a bit and help me gain some confidence back.

Thanks!

the heavy weight in the heel definitely unlocked the driver for several of our guys. i'm still playing heavy weight back (I think) and loving it.

I just received my Mav Max. How does one determine which weight is the heavier and lighter one? They look the same.

Got it. Thank you JB!(y)

My driver swing finally started to come around the last time out and the SZ/Ventus combo is long for me. Significantly longer than the Epic Flash SZ, I think.

Took my Max to the range and hit 30-40 balls. Wow, oh Wow. It took a swing or two to get used to the lighter weight of the overall club but about 5 in, BANG. Draw and LONG. Longer than my F9 (hate to say it, but yes). I got tired at the end and started pushing it a bit but no slices or hard fades. I am very happy!

Took my Max to the range and hit 30-40 balls. Wow, oh Wow. It took a swing or two to get used to the lighter weight of the overall club but about 5 in, BANG. Draw and LONG. Longer than my F9 (hate to say it, but yes). I got tired at the end and started pushing it a bit but no slices or hard fades. I am very happy!
Sounds like a good first range session.

Not one to put fashion over function but this one is a stunnerE4CA96B0-CEB6-4DF0-AC90-F9C07334D6A3.jpeg

Question for players with the Mav Max. Are you setting it up with the heavier weight in the heel and setting the adapter up at a "draw" setting also? Mine is coming in today and I hope to get to hit it at the range, but wanted to see what most people are setting it up with. I am looking for an easier way to hit draws of course with the Max. I hit my irons really well and with a draw but the driver has been a heavy fade (slice) for a while now and I am looking to get some help. Yes, I know it has mostly to do with driver swing, face and path, but hoping this driver might assist me a bit and help me gain some confidence back.

Thanks!

it really depends how much help you need straightening out the ball flight. The Heavy weight in the heel really brings the left side of the course into play. I’ve never been able to draw the ball, but setting up with the heavy weight in the heel had me hitting more right to left tee shots than previously.

We sorted out the driver today. One issue was my setup. Once that was fixed, much better with the Mav max playing at 8*. Still higher spin but much better flight. Then we tried different shafts and the standard head. Boom. Same 70X shaft with 9* Mav head and spin goes down with more carry and roll. He is going to trade me out the Max head for a standard. I will gain an easy 20 yards.

We did some other swing work, and and then he brought out the new Jaws wedges. I will update on those in the appropriate thread. Hint: new wedges coming. :cool:

We sorted out the driver today. One issue was my setup. Once that was fixed, much better with the Mav max playing at 8*. Still higher spin but much better flight. Then we tried different shafts and the standard head. Boom. Same 70X shaft with 9* Mav head and spin goes down with more carry and roll. He is going to trade me out the Max head for a standard. I will gain an easy 20 yards.

Exact same story for me. The Max was so short. Standard was/is so so much better (for me). I honestly do not understand the Max love at all. Standard looks better, sounds way better and is much longer. I guess it all depends on a person's swing though.

Exact same story for me. The Max was so short. Standard was/is so so much better (for me). I honestly do not understand the Max love at all. Standard looks better, sounds way better and is much longer. I guess it all depends on a person's swing though.
That is the reason they made 3 heads, Max, Standard and Sub Zero. One of the 3 will work for everyone. I play the Max and it works for me, I couldn't hit the Standard hardly at all and no consistency. For me the Max is longer and more consistent. It is about finding out what works for the individual being fitted and what is best for their game.

So I went from S/D to -1°/N. Today was probably a good day for the -1 degree of loft because it was a bit windy, but I hit a few that were lower than I like. I'll probably switch that back to 'S' (stated loft). The 'N' setting instead of 'D' took a little left out of it - hit a lot of straight shots or slight draws, but less draw than with the 'D' setting. I'm going to leave that one where it is - next time out I'll be at S/N.
Played the Mav Max at S/N today. Better ball flight and the N still keeps a little left out of it without bringing the right side of the course into play. So there it stays.

Still amazed at the love this club will show me on less-than-good shots. I was living out on the toe a bit today and still keeping up or outdriving the other guys I was playing with. I got one way out on the toe and it was still around 210 yards, just with a bigger than normal draw - which didn't hurt me because I was aiming to the right edge of the fairway on that hole anyway, so I just ended up on the left side of the fairway instead of right.

I went with the Max because after trying them all when I got fitted, the Max gave me the best numbers. I haven't been disappointed with it at all on the course and on average it's 20 yards longer for me than my Ping G30 was.

To each, their own I suppose. I was playing the F9 and when I connected it was bombed but I was not hitting fairways a lot. I was not confident on many holes and that didn’t help I’m sure. The Max today helped a ton and I was able to determine the direction much better with no loss in distance. It’s a winner for me.

Weight kit showed up! Gonna try and dial in my SZ a bit more!

556F028B-B771-4603-9D93-C1926569BB17.jpeg

I'm in love with my Standard Mav driver, but I've enjoyed the Max indoors too and decided to put that in play yesterday. For better reference for myself, I plugged the Ventus Red into the Max, and WOW, what a combination. While I do believe I can squeeze a little extra distance out of the Mavrik, the Max is a bomber in its own right. I was living around 280+ all day long, and I hit 7/10 fairways with driver (really good for me.) I also happened to play one of the more fun courses around with several drivable par 4s. Here are just a couple highlights from yesterday:

Hole 1(347 Par 4) - First swing post-shutdown, I piped a drive dead straight, leaving me only 65 yards to the pin.

Hole 4 (379 Par 4) - This hole has always been a nemesis for me. The tee shot is over a big canyon that requires a 200 yard carry to to be safe, and the wind is often in your face. The same was true yesterday. I struck the ball low on the face, hitting a line drive. I was worried it might not carry, but it did so easily. In fact, I had actually rolled through the wide fairway, leaving myself 121. Tremendous result for not the best strike.

Hole 11 (240 Par 4) - One of the most fun holes (not to walk) on the course. Short, narrow Par 4 that's straight up a hill with OB just off the right side of the fairway. It probably plays around 280. I flushed a drive that went just right of the green. I assumed I was a little short, and couldn't find my ball, but I had actually gone deep, leaving me a chip from behind the green. Tee shot led to my first birdie of the day.

Hole 12 (329 Par 4) - Now straight back down the hill, playing about 40 yards short. Fairway goes straight down, and then the green is tucked behind some massive trees to the right of the fairway. It's not really possible to drive the green due to its position, but I got just about as close as you can, hugging the right tree line and giving me a pin-high pitch in.

7FE494EC-4B84-49A8-9F0D-E098ED7A5887.jpeg

Hole 14 (321 Par 4) - Now back up another hill (see photo below). Hit a strong drive up the right side, leaving me 68 yards in.

1anU5rCbS5eZXBAmKGZSyw.jpg

Hole 18 (463 Par 5) - Ended the round with one of my best tee shots. 282. Middle of the fairway, which left me an iron (6) into a green that is heavily protected by a large lake.

The Max driver was the star of the show today. So good. I will say, though, that its definitely louder outdoors than the Mavrik, but its not bad. I'm putting the Mavrik back in the bag for tomorrow, just to continue the comparison.

Last edited:
I managed 50% of the fairways today. While not the best I've had, the misses where all playable and that makes a huge difference. Quite a few drives that took some weird bounces and ended up just off the fairway by a yard or two.
I did have a couple that I sliced a good bit but managed to get back into position on the next shot.

I didn't get to hit it today obviously (thanks Corona) but watched @Lions81 pound this thing repeatedly. I know sound is personal but I will say it might be my favorite sounding driver I've heard in some time.

the heavy weight in the heel definitely unlocked the driver for several of our guys. i'm still playing heavy weight back (I think) and loving it.
I still go back to the podcast where @DNevsCG mentioned something crazy like 20-30 yards of flight correction with the weight in the heel. That alone should be enough for many folks on here to jump at.

I still go back to the podcast where @DNevsCG mentioned something crazy like 20-30 yards of flight correction with the weight in the heel. That alone should be enough for many folks on here to jump at.

Just that simple change has completely eliminated the right side for me. Love that about the Max. Now, I can still pull it... but that’s a me issue.

Weight kit showed up! Gonna try and dial in my SZ a bit more!

View attachment 8939437
Ooh, what are you thinking/trying first?!

I was going to share the weight setup I settled on with my current shaft, but I honestly can't remember. :D I'll go check.

Edit: 5g front 8g back with the 62g hzrdus black for me.

Last edited:
Ooh, what are you thinking/trying first?!

I was going to share the weight setup I settled on with my current shaft, but I honestly can't remember. :D I'll go check.

Edit: 5g front 8g back with the 62g hzrdus black for me.
Ok, so I couldn’t help myself and ran to the range here moments ago. I needed to try the weights out.
I’m thinking of 2g or 4g up front and the 16g at the back. The 4g/16g combo feels amazing.
I only snagged a quick small bucket, but thinking the 2g/16g might be the setup I try. I’ve been messing with shafts too, going from the Diamana D white 7X to the Hashimoto 6X.
Need to hit more balls to confirm but my next round I’m thinking it will be the Diamana 2g/16g setup.

Lastly, this driver sounds unreal. It is in my top two all time sounding drivers. My brain can’t handle the fact that the ball isn’t going 700yards after I pure one. It sounds so insanely good.

Back