Callaway MD3 Wedges Review Thread

So today was the first round with the new 54* in the bag. Spent a few minutes with it on the green pre-round and could immediately tell a difference over the MD2. It definitely feels more solid at impact and not "hollow" to me like the MD2 did. Practiced just a tad both the lower bump and run followed by more carry and had zero issues doing both.

On the course it was more of the same. I played several really good bump & runs from the greenside rough and nearly holed 2 of them leaving me 1-2 feet for pars. One of the shots that impressed me the most was the 12th and I was about 10 yards short of the green and about 25-30 yards overall to the pin slightly uphill. I played a really aggressive mid flight pitch that bounced, checked and stopped within 4 feet of the hole - probably stopped within 5 feet of where it landed. That's a shot I used to be decent with but lost it along the way.

A few of the shots reminded me of how good I used to be greenside and this wedge really started giving me that confidence again today.

Design wise the weight feels really good. My guess is that the weight ports have a ton do with how much more solid this wedge feels compared to previous versions. And that's the word that comes to mind that I mentioned to afwcardinal today - SOLID. This wedge is SOLID...from feel to performance. Very happy I picked this up upon release.....Callaway has missed with wedges lately but this changes that finally....for me.

did you play the RTX 2.0? If so how does this compare in weight, feel, performance and distance.

So today was the first round with the new 54* in the bag. Spent a few minutes with it on the green pre-round and could immediately tell a difference over the MD2. It definitely feels more solid at impact and not "hollow" to me like the MD2 did. Practiced just a tad both the lower bump and run followed by more carry and had zero issues doing both.

On the course it was more of the same. I played several really good bump & runs from the greenside rough and nearly holed 2 of them leaving me 1-2 feet for pars. One of the shots that impressed me the most was the 12th and I was about 10 yards short of the green and about 25-30 yards overall to the pin slightly uphill. I played a really aggressive mid flight pitch that bounced, checked and stopped within 4 feet of the hole - probably stopped within 5 feet of where it landed. That's a shot I used to be decent with but lost it along the way.

A few of the shots reminded me of how good I used to be greenside and this wedge really started giving me that confidence again today.

Design wise the weight feels really good. My guess is that the weight ports have a ton do with how much more solid this wedge feels compared to previous versions. And that's the word that comes to mind that I mentioned to afwcardinal today - SOLID. This wedge is SOLID...from feel to performance. Very happy I picked this up upon release.....Callaway has missed with wedges lately but this changes that finally....for me.

Nothing like a wedge that gives you ultimate confidence! That's awesome, Cookie!

Horrible first full round with MD3 54* but I blame that on the course conditions. The few times I was able to get clean contact and the ground didn't give in I was able to feel the ball during the swing. Most well struck shots were one hop and stop which is something I could definitely get used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

did you play the RTX 2.0? If so how does this compare in weight, feel, performance and distance.

I did. Weight is fairly similar IMO. Feel was better with MD3 as the touch shots didn't feel like touch shots with the RTX. Felt like I could be a bit more predictably creative in landing spots with the MD3 which is my main focus with the 54*. Can't speak to distance really as I rarely try and hit the 54* from over 75 yards.

I did. Weight is fairly similar IMO. Feel was better with MD3 as the touch shots didn't feel like touch shots with the RTX. Felt like I could be a bit more predictably creative in landing spots with the MD3 which is my main focus with the 54*. Can't speak to distance really as I rarely try and hit the 54* from over 75 yards.

thanks. That's one of the reasons I have liked the w/s fg tours over the 2.0s.

Really looking for some feedback with the W-grind. I am a sweeper but from hitting some shots in the store off some really hard/tight lies I was able to get a lot out of it. I really like the wider sole for bunkers. Let me know what you have seen.

Really looking for some feedback with the W-grind. I am a sweeper but from hitting some shots in the store off some really hard/tight lies I was able to get a lot out of it. I really like the wider sole for bunkers. Let me know what you have seen.

Mine just arrived today in the 58* version so I will be sure to hit it in some bunkers next time I'm out!

Love the W grind, i have a flat swing, but I can come in steep in the wedges.

This club has been phenomenal for me both in tight lies and the rough, also has been performing exceptionally well in softer conditions the past three days. It has really tightened up my short game inside of 100 yds.

I have full confidence to fire at pins getting good stopping and a little spinning.

Also this club is phenomenal on the longer bunker shots with some great stopping power.

The Lamkin utX is a perfect pairing for the wet and humid conditions I've experienced the last few days as well.

(My W is a 54*)

This is exactly what I was looking for. I am fairly shallow with irons but still take divots with wedges. I think I will order the 54 and 60.

Love the W grind, i have a flat swing, but I can come in steep in the wedges.

This club has been phenomenal for me both in tight lies and the rough, also has been performing exceptionally well in softer conditions the past three days. It has really tightened up my short game inside of 100 yds.

I have full confidence to fire at pins getting good stopping and a little spinning.

Also this club is phenomenal on the longer bunker shots with some great stopping power.

The Lamkin utX is a perfect pairing for the wet and humid conditions I've experienced the last few days as well.

(My W is a 54*)

You can just shut up now !
My budget won't allow for this kind of talk...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wanting a new 54° and 58°. On the 58° I'm debating between the MD3 or the Mack Daddy PM grind... decisions decisions.

Wanting a new 54° and 58°. On the 58° I'm debating between the MD3 or the Mack Daddy PM grind... decisions decisions.

If you are good with the looks and want something that you can easily play different shots I sat PM grind in the 58*

If you are good with the looks and want something that you can easily play different shots I sat PM grind in the 58*

I would agree. I have the PM 60 and think it pairs very well with the MD3 54. For me, the 54 is used for almost everything greenside and the PM 60 is what I call a specialty club that only gets used when I have little green to work with or need to go up and over something quickly. And they look fantastic in the bag together.

I would agree. I have the PM 60 and think it pairs very well with the MD3 54. For me, the 54 is used for almost everything greenside and the PM 60 is what I call a specialty club that only gets used when I have little green to work with or need to go up and over something quickly. And they look fantastic in the bag together.

I have the PM 58* and use it exclusively out of green side bunkers. I have a 52 & 54 MD3 on the way and I can't wait to get those in the bag. Hearing your thoughts has me excited

I have the PM 58* and use it exclusively out of green side bunkers. I have a 52 & 54 MD3 on the way and I can't wait to get those in the bag. Hearing your thoughts has me excited

52 and 54 is interesting. I would think the distance gapping would be to close to matter. Why not 50 and 54?

52 and 54 is interesting. I would think the distance gapping would be to close to matter. Why not 50 and 54?

I don't full swing my wedges. My set wedge which is a 50* is the only one I full swing. That's my 100-110 club. Inside of 100yds I've gapped my 52 & 54 based on my game/situation. Quirky I know, but if I start full swinging my wedges all sorts of no good happens so I've learned my lesson.

I don't full swing my wedges. My set wedge which is a 50* is the only one I full swing. That's my 100-110 club. Inside of 100yds I've gapped my 52 & 54 based on my game/situation. Quirky I know, but if I start full swinging my wedges all sorts of no good happens so I've learned my lesson.

gotcha. Definitely a little quirky but I am all for play what works

gotcha. Definitely a little quirky but I am all for play what works

It just gives me more options also. Without the 52* my bag is 13 clubs... The 52* let's me have more options around the green also. I don't always have to pull the highest lofted wedge.

It just gives me more options also. Without the 52* my bag is 13 clubs... The 52* let's me have more options around the green also. I don't always have to pull the highest lofted wedge.

i play lower lofted clubs around the green more now than in the past dependent on how much I have to carry and how much green I have to the hole.

Hello!!

310d3c140cef9b20c26740f64f94e176.jpg

It's a beauty Mike! Looking forward to your thoughts buddy.

Played a few holes with my 58 s grind black, looks great feels great, totally different sound to me when you miss it sounds like a wooden bat, I've only hit a forged wedge not sure last time I hit something different, but it works fine hit some full, half, mini flop, and bump and run, shots all worked fine, no complaints, the green eyes may be a little hard to keep clean, time will tell. Love the grip but soon as you touch it gets dirty, so if you got ocd bad you will stay busy cleaning it,
I did have a ping gorge wedge few years back,

Last edited:
Took out my beautiful 58* W Grind to the range today. Didn't take any full swings yet, but went straight to the bunker. Man, I could use some wedgeucating, badly. Anyways, it performed incredibly well for me. Love how easy the wide sole makes it going after a ball in the sand. I took probably 50 rusty bunker swings and didn't leave a single 1 in the bunker, which I often do and why I avoid them. And once I got the hang of this thing in the bunker, I went to the thick greenside rough. Man does it have some serious stopping power. Even directly compared to my season old T Grind, I was getting better check with the MD3, and that's saying something for me. Looks like it's going right into the bag for my 3 rounds this week!

These are like butter. Demo'd the 56 at the range the other day and man do these feel nice. Wasn't able to see how they perform on half swings or green side shots but it sounds like they beat out the MD2's. The black and green coloring would match my bag really well too. Maybe a full set is in my near future.

Took out my beautiful 58* W Grind to the range today. Didn't take any full swings yet, but went straight to the bunker. Man, I could use some wedgeucating, badly. Anyways, it performed incredibly well for me. Love how easy the wide sole makes it going after a ball in the sand. I took probably 50 rusty bunker swings and didn't leave a single 1 in the bunker, which I often do and why I avoid them. And once I got the hang of this thing in the bunker, I went to the thick greenside rough. Man does it have some serious stopping power. Even directly compared to my season old T Grind, I was getting better check with the MD3, and that's saying something for me. Looks like it's going right into the bag for my 3 rounds this week!

Tyler- did you ever hit the PM grind? If so any comparisons?

Back