Callaway MD4 Wedges

I have a quick question for everyone interested. I purchased the new Callaway MD4 54 and 58 degree wedges and have used them twice. I had the MD3 versions and have a question. Has anyone seen a big difference in the new versions? I feel I can spin the ball more, but they dig into the ground more than the MD3's. Maybe because it has rained a lot in SC and course is wet, but just thought I would get others advice if they have played the new version.

I merged your question in to this larger thread about these wedges. I'm sure you will find some answers here.

I have a quick question for everyone interested. I purchased the new Callaway MD4 54 and 58 degree wedges and have used them twice. I had the MD3 versions and have a question. Has anyone seen a big difference in the new versions? I feel I can spin the ball more, but they dig into the ground more than the MD3's. Maybe because it has rained a lot in SC and course is wet, but just thought I would get others advice if they have played the new version.

same grinds?

These things cut like a knife!!! I loved my MD3's but I am In Love with my MD4's. Whatever they did with the movement of weights and MOI is unreal. My MD3's were good, really good, but the feel and feedback/response to the wedge at impact is almost surreal. Hard to explain but it really does feel like I'm cutting a head of lettuce with a chef's knife. That's the best way I can explain it. Oh, and going 4 for 5 in GIR's and a near chip in doesn't hurt either. Not to be overlooked by any means.

These wedges maybe the "Sleepers" of the Grandaddy and I don't know if you could even call them that.
They are so good. I noticed a difference from the MD3's as soon as I hit them.
And you're right Nate - Not sure I could finger where, but the whole package is such an improvement.

I just need to decide on grinds. Leaning W on 56 and X on 60.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got the 56 R grind in for review over the weekend. She is scheduled for a photo shoot tonight, so I will have some pics up later today or tomorrow. Really looking forward to see what kind of spin numbers come from these, as I bet they will be high being brand new. Shaping is very similar to MD3 for me, which isn't a bad thing. Also fall in like with my SM6, which I was a fan of.

what is the R grind?

good catch, didn't mean r grind, was looking at the r milled on the hosel when posting.

all good man. You know the club ho in me was like new club alert!!!

Approved. It's what I would do, er, did.

Well then, now I just need to order :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you guys are killing me.

I love my MD2's (54/58 and very worn) and won a free RTX3 very late last fall that I've been waiting to use. I've also been thinking hard about picking up the SM6 (never played a Titleist club though) since they are fairly cheap right now. BUT, all of the great comments on here, and the fact that I've loved my MD2's, has me wanting to part with hard earned cash now and pick these up.

I just ordered the MD4 54W grind. I was very hesitant to order this one as it isn't forged like I thought it was. But the MD3 has served me very well over the past year(yes i know its cast).
Very curious to see if I can feel the difference.

How is the 56 W grind on full swings?
I like it. I play on pretty firm, tight fairways for the majority of my rounds at my local muni and was worried about the wider sole. It hasn’t been an issue for me and has improved my chipping near the greens.

I can definitely spin the ball more and get a better trajectory. I have noticed the 60* X grind is more apt to slide under the ball out of the rough if I don’t focus on ball first contact. The W let’s me get away with more mistakes near the green. I haven’t noticed a dig unless I hit it fat in soggy fairways on a touch shot. But that’s a swing/mental issue I fight with any wedge.

I have seen a pretty good amount of difference compared to the MD3 and other wedges. Primarily it has been ball flight and spin. With new shafts and new heads I don’t know where the improvements are coming from, but I hit the shot I want with less thinking more often now.

got confirmation on the 60* coming, odd they would not wait for both of them to be ready but since the 60* is my primary greenside tool it will be good to get it in the bag.

the romantic in me figured that since it's Valentine's Day, we should see a little red.

i-f4xdJM4-XL.jpg

OK let's add some more shots shall we? As you can see, the one that arrived in THPNY is the 56° C Grind.

i-43NV3mk-XL.jpg

i-v5NdJq7-XL.jpg

i-74pHNvh-XL.jpg

i-fTL2gnV-XL.jpg

i-4vsd5k2-XL.jpg

i-cmg36rc-XL.jpg

Fan of the new backdrop.

Fan of the new backdrop.

Thanks, I've had red and blue all along, but didn't have good enough lighting to make it work well. This was first attempt, still some settings to tweak.

Thanks, I've had red and blue all along, but didn't have good enough lighting to make it work well. This was first attempt, still some settings to tweak.

Im going to respond to this in the photography thread.

Solid pics Dean!

Nice pics dean

Thanks for the pictures Dean and I’m looking forward to your thoughts.

saw these for the first time today. they look fine, very similar to the md3s that i loved. the groove at the bottom is noticeable, and i liked it. their w grind is probably one of my favorite grinds i've ever played. i loved it.

These are available for customization on callaway's site now.

Has anyone made the move from MD Forged to MD4? Curious as to their thoughts about difference in spin generation as well as feel.

Something I was thinking about last night as I hit some short chip shots in the living room. I'm glad that Callaway has seemingly found it's shape in terms of wedges. I really thought it was something the struggled with when looking back at their history over the last 5-6 years.

Back