Callaway MD4 Wedges

Has anyone made the move from MD Forged to MD4? Curious as to their thoughts about difference in spin generation as well as feel.

I made the move from MD forged to MD4s. The two wedges are quite different, imo.

I believe that the MD4s spin more than the forged, but it could be that it is because the MD4s are brand new. My impression is that I have never seen a wedge spin as much as the MD4s since the days of the old square groove wedges. I have no data to back it up, just my subjective impressions from playing them for a few rounds.

As far as feel, the MD4s do not feel as soft to me as the MD forged. I would describe the MD4s as feeling denser on well struck shots, but still very satisfying. They do not feel clickish to me at all.

For me, the MD4s are definitely better on full shots. They are so accurate. I am still adjusting to them on little pitches and chips around the green. I found great success with the MD forged for that all important shot to get up and down. If I can find that same success with the MD4s, then to me, they will be the best wedges I have ever gamed.

Something I was thinking about last night as I hit some short chip shots in the living room. I'm glad that Callaway has seemingly found it's shape in terms of wedges. I really thought it was something the struggled with when looking back at their history over the last 5-6 years.

Great point. Not related to the MD4, but I really didn't care for the super rounded leading edge of the MD2. I think it really started with the MD2 T Grind and then into the ports that came in the MD3. A couple years of refinement and I think they have a killer set of wedges released now.

I made the move from MD forged to MD4s. The two wedges are quite different, imo.

I believe that the MD4s spin more than the forged, but it could be that it is because the MD4s are brand new. My impression is that I have never seen a wedge spin as much as the MD4s since the days of the old square groove wedges. I have no data to back it up, just my subjective impressions from playing them for a few rounds.

As far as feel, the MD4s do not feel as soft to me as the MD forged. I would describe the MD4s as feeling denser on well struck shots, but still very satisfying. They do not feel clickish to me at all.

For me, the MD4s are definitely better on full shots. They are so accurate. I am still adjusting to them on little pitches and chips around the green. I found great success with the MD forged for that all important shot to get up and down. If I can find that same success with the MD4s, then to me, they will be the best wedges I have ever gamed.

Thanks man! Genuinely appreciate the feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

56&60 came in, boy they look great in black and seem to me feel quite a bit heavier. Could be the steel shafts feeling different to me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Got them out this morning and they are everything I hoped they would be. Great feel around the green and a spin like crazy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Checked these out at the demo day today. They are beautiful and the 54 C grind will be a welcome addition to the bag this year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Something I was thinking about last night as I hit some short chip shots in the living room. I'm glad that Callaway has seemingly found it's shape in terms of wedges. I really thought it was something the struggled with when looking back at their history over the last 5-6 years.

It’s a good thought Dean. I’ve played most of the Callaway wedges from the last five years or so going back to the Forged Copper ones. Each year has gotten better, or you can tell the designers try something that they learn from. I’ve had really good success with the MD3s since they came out, and really like the feel of the MD4 as I’ve waggled them around multiple stores.

I like this. A lot.

Just finished 18 holes at my home course. We literally have had hardly any winter here in Utah. Anyway, the course is not in good shape. the lies around the greens are full of hard pan and bumpy, dormant grass. Anyway, I used these wedges to try to save par on 8 holes. I was 2 over on these holes (saved par 4 times and got out of a green side bunker and one putted for a birdie on a par 5). So, I was 2 over on the 8 holes where I was using these wedges to get up and down.

My short game is probably commensurate with my handicap, so I was very pleased, given the conditions. I am becoming more familiar with these wedges around the greens. They spin like crazy. They are exceptional.

Checked these out at the demo day today. They are beautiful and the 54 C grind will be a welcome addition to the bag this year.

And I've found myself falling into the Customs website messing around with the options there. Really don't care for red, so toying with the idea of lime green and white or just going glossy black for a sort of murdered out look. Paired with the trusty TT Onyx S400 and Lamkin black UTx and I think I'm going to need a new mortgage.

i-fKwwfPQ-L.jpg

Nice photo!

I haven't fallen in love with the MDF I have so this in 54* is a strong ponder right now.

The camera work lately has gone next level...

Seriously. The photos on here are better than anywhere

Put my order in with the pro shop yesterday. Went 52s, 56c, 60c with a kbs tour v shaft.

I wonder how the black finish holds up on the 4’s. I destroyed the black on my MD3 and the slate on my MD Forged is pretty rough.

I wonder how the black finish holds up on the 4’s. I destroyed the black on my MD3 and the slate on my MD Forged is pretty rough.

Stop taking such big divots then! *Insert smiley thingy here* Only a few rounds in since the GD so not gonna be much help here on before/after pics. I might be in the minority but I actually quite like the faded look on the sole and face after 6 months. Unless I'm not hitting the center of the face then I'll be wishing I got the chrome.

I can take a pic of mine later. I take angry divots and have played them a LOT now.

Finish is still really really really good. Much better than I saw when trying the black in the MD3.

I can take a pic of mine later. I take angry divots and have played them a LOT now.

Finish is still really really really good. Much better than I saw when trying the black in the MD3.

Cool. I’m definitely steep with wedges and my MD Forged look like I played them for 3 years after about 60-70 rounds.

Cool. I’m definitely steep with wedges and my MD Forged look like I played them for 3 years after about 60-70 rounds.

Yeah, I know the steep move well. Hahaha

And the bastard sandy soil.

I was worried about it, but it honestly has held up pretty stellar. They're on the cusp of ousting the SM6's performance wise too.

Yeah, I know the steep move well. Hahaha

And the bastard sandy soil.

I was worried about it, but it honestly has held up pretty stellar. They're on the cusp of ousting the SM6's performance wise too.

I’m on the fence between the MD4’s and SM7’s right now

Sick and tired of constant price increases thru the Callaway lineup this year. These are $20 over the MD3. I'm sure all the other OEM's are doing the same, they always somehow "magically" end up at the same price points. I notice it first with Callaway though, because I play their clubs almost exclusively. I've made the decision to either look for my replacements to be previous models, new, either on ebay or CPO. If I don't find what I want, from now on I'm going to wait the 6-7 months until these show up in perfect condition on CPO. If I wait until they do, I'll get them at a reduced price and can also get a 50% trade in bonus, possibly. I don't see the need to buy at these prices anymore. This goes with their entire 2018 lineup, and please don't make me gag with talk of increased cost being due to R&D and or materials etc. That's just towing the company line. As far as I'm concerned, I've had enough, I've draw my own line in the sand.

Sick and tired of constant price increases thru the Callaway lineup this year. These are $20 over the MD3. I'm sure all the other OEM's are doing the same, they always somehow "magically" end up at the same price points. I notice it first with Callaway though, because I play their clubs almost exclusively. I've made the decision to either look for my replacements to be previous models, new, either on ebay or CPO. If I don't find what I want, from now on I'm going to wait the 6-7 months until these show up in perfect condition on CPO. If I wait until they do, I'll get them at a reduced price and can also get a 50% trade in bonus, possibly. I don't see the need to buy at these prices anymore. This goes with their entire 2018 lineup, and please don't make me gag with talk of increased cost being due to R&D and or materials etc. That's just towing the company line. As far as I'm concerned, I've had enough, I've draw my own line in the sand.

Don't you enjoy a market where you can do that? Find gear that fits your price point that still performs? Glad there are choices out there for everyone!

Back