Callaway Releases Big Bertha B21 Driver

I got out to play 18 at my local course this afternoon. Wanted to see if the good results would transfer to the​
course?! 😳 This driver is frickin’ unbelievable! I have never hit anything like it before and I have never hit that many fairways before using a driver! It’s almost cheating...Almost!
The first hole is a 350 yard uphill dogleg left hole. I pulled into the parking lot, loaded my clubs, teed it up, no​
warm up or stretching, waggled it once, and piped probably the best drive I have ever hit!!! I aimed at the big fairway bunker on top of the hill and bombed it over it. I had 75 yards into the green! I couldn’t believe it. I then chunked my 58° into the green side bunker, so back to reality! Haha!🤷‍♂️
2nd hole is a short Par 5 that dog legs to the right. I absolutely nutted it straight down the fairway 260 yards,​
leaving about 200 into the green.
The 3rd hole is a short par 4 that cuts back to the left. It is flanked down the left by a pond and stream, and​
there is a really tall pine tree that cuts off the fairway with a bunker to deter going for the green. I always hit my hybrid and have 100 yards to the green. Well, I’m swinging the Big Bertha B21 so good, why not take a chance! I aimed at the big pine, the ball drew around slightly and wound up 15 yards short right of the green! I’m just laughing at this point!
I’m +2 after 3, which is really good for me. My goal every hole is to make bogey or better. And, it was like this​
the rest of the round! I have never driven the ball that consistently far and straight! My average for the round had to be 265ish and 7/9 fairways hit using this Callaway driver.
I said it was almost cheating...here’s why almost. I hit one through the fairway on a dog leg right missing the​
fairway. Also, by hole 16, I wasn’t feeling well, had a lot of pain by then. I totally hit a nuclear snap hook to the left, so I re-teed and just like clockwork, hit a slice. It didn’t slice as hard as my GS53, but it did slice. Now, it started to rain and it was getting very dark (6:15pm), so I called it a day.
Another single caught up to me on the front 9, so we wound up playing together. He is a college baseball​
player who likes to golf. He has a super aggressive and fast swing. He is currently playing a Callaway Diablo driver and he fights a slice too. I had him try this driver and he absolutely blistered it! Everything 290+ straight or with a little draw. He never hit one right!
At the start, I was curious if this was all marketing or for real. Three different testing sessions, three different​
locations(indoor sim, outdoor driving range, golf course), three similar results. And, an outside person with the same results! This golf club has the makings of...dare I say...GREATNESS!!! I understand that the retail price is hefty on this driver. And, I would never try to push a $500 club on someone. But, YOU HAVE TO HIT THIS DRIVER! If you struggle with hitting fairways, if you slice or fade the ball, if you need higher launch, less spin, more distance, then this is you!
A little over a week ago, I was a serial slicer who had ZERO confidence in my ability to drive the ball! I have​
been to slicers anonymous and I have the solution....the Callaway Big Bertha B21 driver!

I got out to play 18 at my local course this afternoon. Wanted to see if the good results would transfer to the​
course?! 😳 This driver is frickin’ unbelievable! I have never hit anything like it before and I have never hit that many fairways before using a driver! It’s almost cheating...Almost!
The first hole is a 350 yard uphill dogleg left hole. I pulled into the parking lot, loaded my clubs, teed it up, no​
warm up or stretching, waggled it once, and piped probably the best drive I have ever hit!!! I aimed at the big fairway bunker on top of the hill and bombed it over it. I had 75 yards into the green! I couldn’t believe it. I then chunked my 58° into the green side bunker, so back to reality! Haha!🤷‍♂️
2nd hole is a short Par 5 that dog legs to the right. I absolutely nutted it straight down the fairway 260 yards,​
leaving about 200 into the green.
The 3rd hole is a short par 4 that cuts back to the left. It is flanked down the left by a pond and stream, and​
there is a really tall pine tree that cuts off the fairway with a bunker to deter going for the green. I always hit my hybrid and have 100 yards to the green. Well, I’m swinging the Big Bertha B21 so good, why not take a chance! I aimed at the big pine, the ball drew around slightly and wound up 15 yards short right of the green! I’m just laughing at this point!
I’m +2 after 3, which is really good for me. My goal every hole is to make bogey or better. And, it was like this​
the rest of the round! I have never driven the ball that consistently far and straight! My average for the round had to be 265ish and 7/9 fairways hit using this Callaway driver.
I said it was almost cheating...here’s why almost. I hit one through the fairway on a dog leg right missing the​
fairway. Also, by hole 16, I wasn’t feeling well, had a lot of pain by then. I totally hit a nuclear snap hook to the left, so I re-teed and just like clockwork, hit a slice. It didn’t slice as hard as my GS53, but it did slice. Now, it started to rain and it was getting very dark (6:15pm), so I called it a day.
Another single caught up to me on the front 9, so we wound up playing together. He is a college baseball​
player who likes to golf. He has a super aggressive and fast swing. He is currently playing a Callaway Diablo driver and he fights a slice too. I had him try this driver and he absolutely blistered it! Everything 290+ straight or with a little draw. He never hit one right!
At the start, I was curious if this was all marketing or for real. Three different testing sessions, three different​
locations(indoor sim, outdoor driving range, golf course), three similar results. And, an outside person with the same results! This golf club has the makings of...dare I say...GREATNESS!!! I understand that the retail price is hefty on this driver. And, I would never try to push a $500 club on someone. But, YOU HAVE TO HIT THIS DRIVER! If you struggle with hitting fairways, if you slice or fade the ball, if you need higher launch, less spin, more distance, then this is you!
A little over a week ago, I was a serial slicer who had ZERO confidence in my ability to drive the ball! I have​
been to slicers anonymous and I have the solution....the Callaway Big Bertha B21 driver!

Outstanding! Terrific writeup of your experiences with this club on the course.

I gave it a test drive. It's different than the Mavrik Max with the weight up front more for lower spin. And it doesn't sit open like a lot of drivers do (I'm looking at you Ping and Taylormade). Even the Max sits a little open, but not that bad. My old 2014 Big Bertha sat square at rest and I tended not to slice or block as much with it. If you're someone who doesn't really check that at set up and you have trouble with that type of shot, this driver might help you as long as your slice isn't too bad. If it's really bad, your beyond tech - get some lessons. Otherwise it's a great addition to the line. Make sure you get fit. Callaway makes some great drivers.

, I put the head on a V.A. Composite Raijin 54 stiff flex shaft, which is a high launch, low spin shaft.
Funny fact, just about every single VA shaft is listed that way.

It’s been mentioned a few times that this driver will be great for the right player or for a particular type of player. Let’s turn that on it’s ear - what of player is not a good candidate for this driver?
Maybe someone who likes to work the ball a lot. They might not get as much action as they're looking for with minor tweaks to their swing.

I bought this club on the BST forum here last week. I'm not a slicer but I tend to leave the club face open on my down swing. The BB21 has given me a real nice draw. I aim down the right side of the fairway and let it fly. I have left a couple down the right side but they go straight and keep me in play. This driver does exactly what it claims. I've not experienced any massive hooks with it. Distance wise, it's about the same as the Ping G410 SFT that I have but I get more consistent distance. I think the BB21 is more forgiving than the Ping. I also love the feel off the face of the BB21.

I’d like to hear more about distance with this driver. What are you guys seeing both in terms of how it performs compared to your baseline distances and/or compared to other recent driver releases?
I'm seeing a bit more distance down the fairway which could be due to "straightening" the ball flight and the roll out is toward the hole and not toward the right side of the fairway. When I first started playing about 35 years ago I would hit 300 yard drives consistently. One fifty downrange and one fifty right.:p
I can't speak to other releases other than the Mavrik I was playing before I got the B 21. The Mavrik improved my drives some but not close to the B 21.

That makes sense!

I bought this club on the BST forum here last week. I'm not a slicer but I tend to leave the club face open on my down swing. The BB21 has given me a real nice draw. I aim down the right side of the fairway and let it fly. I have left a couple down the right side but they go straight and keep me in play. This driver does exactly what it claims. I've not experienced any massive hooks with it. Distance wise, it's about the same as the Ping G410 SFT that I have but I get more consistent distance. I think the BB21 is more forgiving than the Ping. I also love the feel off the face of the BB21.
I have the RCH45 lite shaft (10.5 degree) in my B21. As a mid 80 mph guy I am seeing a few drives per round 10-20 yards longer than my Ping G410 SFT. My shot shape is usually straight with push right as my main miss. Not much change with the B21. But as I see in most of the reviews, the sound is really solid. Only 3 rounds with it but it is fun to hit.

Got 4 holes in on lunch. Hit 2 drives hard and on a line. An underrated aspect of this driver is the size of the face. It's freaking huge. Strangely it's wide and tall. Stupid big face that is hot all over.

A summary of this driver so far is: Yes it's extremely forgiving and you may not need that, but this driver has a lot of pop too.
20200926_153138.jpg

Still love mine. I took the plunge and got the 5 wood too. The miss right happens with all my woods.

Unfortunately the range is not open due to over seeding.

Hahahahahahahahaha

Mannnnnnn....full feedback on today a bit later, but set to -1 (8.0) with the 65S, ten shots, average spin was 2671 RPM, but peak heights (in yards) were....

That’s....a bit much.

Hahahahahahahahaha

Mannnnnnn....full feedback on today a bit later, but set to -1 (8.0) with the 65S, ten shots, average spin was 2671 RPM, but peak heights (in yards) were....

That’s....a bit much.
WHAT??? 50?

Played 9 this evening with the B21 and was able to hit the driver on 6 holes. I went in with the mindset that I really wanted to turn the ball over with a draw from right to left and tried to manipulate the swing and face. The B21 did not like that approach and mindset from me and those drives were pushed and shorter than normal. After 3 of those attempts, I switched my thinking, found my target in the distance and let ‘er rip and boom baby fade to my target and long. Not gonna fight it anymore and I am not going to go in thinking I have to hit a draw. Hitting my target is most important and I don’t care how it gets there.
the feel on well struck drives with the B21 is exhilarating. To hit your target is bliss. To not have to think about swing mechanics is how the game should be played and makes it soooooo much more enjoyable.

i was so close to pulling the trigger...

I have the RCH45 lite shaft (10.5 degree) in my B21. As a mid 80 mph guy I am seeing a few drives per round 10-20 yards longer than my Ping G410 SFT. My shot shape is usually straight with push right as my main miss. Not much change with the B21. But as I see in most of the reviews, the sound is really solid. Only 3 rounds with it but it is fun to hit.
I have the 55 g Senior shaft in mine. Just finished another 18. I hit two drives over 225 today. That's very rare for me. This driver is definitely a keeper. Nice baby draws and no hooks on good swings.

Hahahahahahahahaha

That’s....a bit much.
Holy cow playing into the wind in OK you could probably run from the tee and catch the ball. :oops:

I am trying this one out later this week when I go to the range

Holy cow playing into the wind in OK you could probably run from the tee and catch the ball. :oops:
Hahaha, yeah, today it was a bit interesting

Hahaha, yeah, today it was a bit interesting
I know it shouldn't worry me when I hear high launch, but it does a bit as I already hit a med-high to high tee ball.
That being said I still want to try this driver and see what it will do for me.

Back