I've watched the THP video a couple times, and few others, and I don't understand why people aren't taking about the feel more. It feels like a freaking dream. Feels really fast but sounds great. That blends really well into the CBs in my opinion. I'm trying to isolate a couple shots from the range where the background is quiet so people can hear it outdoors off the grass and tee. I mean, it's 50 degrees here, maybe, and hitting cold range balls it still felt and sounded great for a UT.

That is awesome to hear. I love a driving/utility iron, and am always chasing that perfect one. I want less junk in the trunk with the equal or better feels & performance than my current favorite. When I hit the CB's last week I didn't check to see if they had a UT in yet. But, they are pretty good with new releases and I expect they will. My golf brain has made the logical leap and has put together a 4 UT, 5-7 CB, 8-P MB setup about 1868 times over the past week. o_O Must be going into the offseason I get all starry eyed. UT and MB's next up on the tee sheet.

IO 6.0 (110g). Softer than I'd want, but I grabbed it because I didn't want to wait and I have a bunch of utility/hybrid shafts I could swap to, but it was fine. I didn't have a great swing today in the store or at the range, but it didn't matter much. Really lived in the middle upper flight range without excess launch and spin.

surprised it had the IO and not the U..

I was shocked at first swing.

That is awesome to hear. I love a driving/utility iron, and am always chasing that perfect one. I want less junk in the trunk with the equal or better feels & performance than my current favorite. When I hit the CB's last week I didn't check to see if they had a UT in yet. But, they are pretty good with new releases and I expect they will. My golf brain has made the logical leap and has put together a 4 UT, 5-7 CB, 8-P MB setup about 1868 times over the past week. o_O Must be going into the offseason I get all starry eyed. UT and MB's next up on the tee sheet.
It has a little more visual junk in the truck than I would ideally want, honestly. I think they put performance and feel over looks just a little bit on this one. I can take a picture next to my UDI if you want to see the difference.

Cut a couple shots together from the range for you to hear. Uploading now. First one is picked flush off a real short tee, second one is flushed off the turf. I LOVED the sound out in the open air.

I've watched the THP video a couple times, and few others, and I don't understand why people aren't taking about the feel more. It feels like a freaking dream. Feels really fast but sounds great. That blends really well into the CBs in my opinion. I'm trying to isolate a couple shots from the range where the background is quiet so people can hear it outdoors off the grass and tee. I mean, it's 50 degrees here, maybe, and hitting cold range balls it still felt and sounded great for a UT.
That's some great feedback right there!

First swing i honestly wasn't that impressed, and that is the only time I've felt that way. It's fantastic.

surprised it had the IO and not the U..

I was shocked at first swing.
So was I.

I was surprised too, but I play my 770 3i with a set shaft, and have others, so I figured wtf. Worth a shot.

My editing skills suck, but first one tee, second turf. I'm trying to find the ones without the tracer background noise, but I delete them pretty quick to save space. I think the sound still comes through.

Last edited:
That does have a pretty nice thwack to it. Great filming! 👊

Excuse me while I go rummage for trade bait --> [exits thread]

I hit this again tonight side by side with the previous model of the callaway utility. Same loft same shaft. This one is night and day better. It is more solid and easier to hit. The previous version feels hollow and I kept getting those high k. The face clankers you get from hollow bodied irons at times. That just come off dead, and knuckle out of the air. Zero issues with this one.

Courses are running again, so now I just have to figure out how to hit a UT a bunch on a 6460 layout without losing any money for it. :unsure:

Courses are running again, so now I just have to figure out how to hit a UT a bunch on a 6460 layout without losing any money for it. :unsure:

Good luck..

Worked the 21* UT in 6 times during the round today to test it out. Some tee and some fairway. It was good. Sopping wet conditions where everything stuck and averaged 232 over the 6 shots. Still not feeling great, so mostly not swinging my best, but it was easy to control and the one I really went after off the tee and tried to knock some spin off was 256. Another I wanted to get up and land soft at 220 ended up 217 in good position. Flight in general was probably a bit higher than normal for me today with the old man swing. Felt really good though, and the sound transitions well to the CB set I think, but the faces and flight and everything actually seem like a smoother transition with the Apex Pro, in my head at least. Good first outing. Everything as expected from sim time with it, no surprises, which is good. The IO 6.0 is definitely a bit softer than I normally play, but it was fine.

20201030_163951.jpg
20201030_163932.jpg

My comment about it maybe matching the Apex Pros well for distance got me thinking. So here it is next to a CF19 4 iron for a size reference. They're similar size, but the UT has slightly different shaping.

Last edited:
Found this lurking in my office when I came in this morning. 😻

9223C866-72E3-4687-9D69-3995DCDD15DF.jpeg40161823-B476-4C8C-9CD1-B3058FD80A40.jpeg12715083-FCB3-48AE-9A55-50F6ECEB0C26.jpeg8372F855-82CE-4235-A124-D1800B2039A0.jpeg

Oh, you're having a day! I've enjoyed my so far. I'm curious how it looks next the 5 MB.

I will get some pictures for you - might be later tonight or tomorrow by the time I get done with work and take care of the kiddos priorities after.

I am really excited to try this! I kind of want to go Apex Combos(6-pw) in the irons and UT in the 21 & 24.

I really want to get a feel for this. I really like that Callaway makes it easy to order as either a long iron replacement with a steel shaft or go as a driving iron with a hybrid shaft.

Could I go Callaway for irons with this in the transition between them and whatever I go with at the top of the bag

Here is the Xforged 4 UT next to the 5-6-7 MB @OldandStiff.

3B83A84A-53A0-48E8-824D-78276FDA5F10.jpeg11916F83-A97C-48ED-A128-EA93A1681DB9.jpeg6332AE43-149C-46EB-A779-6CCFA9082707.jpeg

Wow the Apex has a very sharp toe. Its not that bad of a transition all things considered. The hosel transition looks pretty similar.

Ultimately it's a UT, it needs to have some chunk to it.

Wow the Apex has a very sharp toe. Its not that bad of a transition all things considered. The hosel transition looks pretty similar.

They look great IMO... the 4UT has modest offset to my eye and overall the family resemblance is strong. The UT has just the right amount of chunk, the back edge is almost (not quite) tucked all the way behind the top line at address. Plenty of help to the shape.

Last edited:

Apex?

OK that was pretty legit. Played 18 and hit the first 5/5 fairways until I put a janky move on one on 15 and pull hooked it into the trees. It went it at speed :LOL:

Then I hit a bucket at the range after. Easy to elevate, easy to flight. Shocking peak height is apparently on tap, I'd say 35 yards just eyeballing. I just got done hitting 20-25 balls off the deck at the range, and I didn't reach for a tee once. Didn't need/want to. Too much fun ripping it off the deck.

Back