Callaway X-Hot 3 Deep Fairway Wood Review Thread

As a follow up, I have hit the 3 deep 290 yards which is freaking insane. My best of the best drives go about 305.

I think it's a good question Nate. I know I have gone through stretches where I hit my 3 wood longer than my driver, so I just take the driver out of the bag. I would probably do the same with this club if it produced those results.

So what do you think your distance gap would be between your driver and 3Deep? 10 yards difference? 20 yards?

Wouldn't matter to me honestly. It would just be situational where I need to hit a fairway or target, I've got more confidence int he shorter than 44.5-45.5 club in that situation.

As a follow up, I have hit the 3 deep 290 yards which is freaking insane. My best of the best drives go about 305.
That's my point. 290 and better accuracy over 305 but more inconsistent. Seems like you are losing a club in your bag by having 2 that are so similar.

That's my point. 290 and better accuracy over 305 but more inconsistent. Seems like you are losing a club in your bag by having 2 that are so similar.

Its a valid point, but its not taking into account IMO that as golfers we have ego's and most of us already hit driver more than we should. Saying we would take it out is fine and dandy, but the fact is hitting driver is fun.

Not really, I'm fairly consistent with both. The two clubs are situational for me and their ball flights are different. My driver goes higher and is less workable. I can work the 3 deep both ways and high and low. For dog legs, I'm going 3 deep. Into the wind, I'm going 3 deep. Wide open fairway, I'll go driver.

Also, what I was saying about the 290 shot just proves the distance capabilities of the 3 deep. I'd say typically it'll go 275 for me on a stock swing which does give me a legit gap to my driver.

Its a valid point, but its not taking into account IMO that as golfers we have ego's and most of us already hit driver more than we should. Saying we would take it out is fine and dandy, but the fact is hitting driver is fun.
Now that is a reason I can live with. I just was having a hard time figuring out why both. But sometimes (maybe most times) in golf we don't need a reason. We go with what makes us feel good and confident. Options are never a bad thing.

Not really, I'm fairly consistent with both. The two clubs are situational for me and their ball flights are different. My driver goes higher and is less workable. I can work the 3 deep both ways and high and low. For dog legs, I'm going 3 deep. Into the wind, I'm going 3 deep. Wide open fairway, I'll go driver.
Do you have a 230-250 club?

Now that is a reason I can live with. I just was having a hard time figuring out why both. But sometimes (maybe most times) in golf we don't need a reason. We go with what makes us feel good and confident. Options are never a bad thing.

Yep yep, you and I sir, are on the same page. Great questions buddy.

Yes, 18* hybrid.
Got ya! At the end of the day the 3 wood type clubs needs to be what I call a fairway finder with the most distance you can get out it. Not some of the time but all of the time. If the 3Deep is that club for most then it is a winner.

Yes, 18* hybrid.

Just updated/added my signature so you can see what my gaps are. They work for me very very well but not necessarily for everyone. I agree with your thought that the purpose of the 3 deep seems odd at first, but once you have it and see what it can do, it makes sense.

Driver is not always the best option. Most of the guys I play with hit driver on 14/18 holes and would never consider a 3 wood or hybrid off the tee, yet they struggle day in and day out with slices and mishits. Driver every hole is stubborn golf in my opinion.

Got ya! At the end of the day the 3 wood type clubs needs to be what I call a fairway finder with the most distance you can get out it. Not some of the time but all of the time. If the 3Deep is that club for most then it is a winner.

That, my friend, is EXACTLY what the 3 deep is.

Part of the reason I want to hit the 3Deep. If I hit it as far as my driver, I'd ditch the driver.

I mostly want it so I can have something to put my XBomb headcover on.

Where'd you get that headcover? It sounds pretty awesome, and it would definitely look cool on top of the 3Deep I just ordered.

I have had the 3deep in the bag for a little over two weeks and have had three rounds since the outing. This combined with the 72 holes at the outing I have become quite used to the club.

I'm swinging the 14.5* with PXi 6.5 shaft. A fine combination to say the least. I can't remember a time when off the shelf clubs where so good. The shaft seems to be married quite well with the Deep face of the club.

Off the tee the club flat out performs. High fades, low running draws, straight as an arrow when you need isn't bad either. I had a shot at a reunion that required a Boston carver or a straight shot that hugged the corner. Left was dead and I had been spraying the fade. I aimed at the corner of the dog leg and swung away. Position A in the left side of the Fairway. A very versatile club indeed.
The looks of the club are very stylish. The deep face combined with the dark grey is kind of cool. I look down and say to myself "self" kong smash. I kid of course but you get the point.

Callaway isn't kidding when they say long from every where. The 3deep could take the place of most drivers in many people's bags. And with all the custom options on the Callaway website you can create what ever 3deep you feel you needs

Where'd you get that headcover? It sounds pretty awesome, and it would definitely look cool on top of the 3Deep I just ordered.

Won it in a Twitter contest from HastagChad.

Freddie, thank you for the update and thoughts dude.

This club, it just pulls me in...

I have had the 3deep in the bag for a little over two weeks and have had three rounds since the outing. This combined with the 72 holes at the outing I have become quite used to the club.

I'm swinging the 14.5* with PXi 6.5 shaft. A fine combination to say the least. I can't remember a time when off the shelf clubs where so good. The shaft seems to be married quite well with the Deep face of the club.

Off the tee the club flat out performs. High fades, low running draws, straight as an arrow when you need isn't bad either. I had a shot at a reunion that required a Boston carver or a straight shot that hugged the corner. Left was dead and I had been spraying the fade. I aimed at the corner of the dog leg and swung away. Position A in the left side of the Fairway. A very versatile club indeed.
The looks of the club are very stylish. The deep face combined with the dark grey is kind of cool. I look down and say to myself "self" kong smash. I kid of course but you get the point.

Callaway isn't kidding when they say long from every where. The 3deep could take the place of most drivers in many people's bags. And with all the custom options on the Callaway website you can create what ever 3deep you feel you needs

How is it off the deck for you?

I loved it when I hit it at demo day. My only problem is that I hit my RAZR FIT 3w so well now that its hard to consider replacing it.

FWIW, I had no problem hitting it off the deck on the chewed up driving range. Actually quite surprised about that.

I estimated 260 because I was just short of a trap that was 269 and the front of the green on a par 5. The PX shaft doesn't keep the ball up long enough for me. I order the Motre Speeder 6.1 for my MC 3deep and should see more spin and greater hang time. I tested this during my fitting and it was 270 off the deck at the Annika academy

You with the Speeder in this.....goodness!

I estimated 260 because I was just short of a trap that was 269 and the front of the green on a par 5. The PX shaft doesn't keep the ball up long enough for me. I order the Motre Speeder 6.1 for my MC 3deep and should see more spin and greater hang time. I tested this during my fitting and it was 270 off the deck at the Annika academy

Seems pretty solid to me. 270 off the deck could work well in my game I think.

Back