Callaway XR 16 Fairway Wood - THP Review Thread

Curious to know...how would you set up your bag with fairway woods from the following choices..3 wood..5 wood..7 wood..Heavenwood...9 wood..11 wood....which would you most likely keep in your bag and why

I'd go 3W, HW. Then either whatever the next distance iron or hybrid is. 3W is mostly a tee club for me and the HW has proved to be pretty versatile in distances. Playing close to 5W distance on full swings, but also able to choke up and hit it a bit shorter. YMMV though. Heck, I could change my tune if something changes for me. FWIW, I'm coming to the HW from playing a 19˚ 3H as I just wasn't getting along with my 5W last year.

First round using reshafted 3w. Striping it off the tee. Good flight with no problem feeing the shaft during my swing. Off the deck had a case of the lefts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Callaway XR 16 4 Wood, Sweet

Callaway XR 16 4 Wood, Sweet

After hitting one at Golfsmith and liking it I purchased one and got it to the range yesterday. What a sweet club and long. The 4 wood is 17' loft and the shaft is 43". On solid hits I was getting 220-230 carry with the club. That is good distance for a 60 year old hacker. Nice high ball flight. Even bad hits went straight. If you are in the market for a fairway wood, give these a try. They come in lofts from 14' to 25'.

Glad you're getting on with it. I hate mine. It's about to get traded in for a wedge. Then again, I'm just not a fairway wood guy. The only fairway I've found success with is my heavenwood.

Nice to hear, mine is on the way....after trying the driver, figured I had to try the 4 wood.

Dang, your a 60 year old carrying 230 with a 4 wood?. I am impressed.

Nice to hear, mine is on the way....after trying the driver, figured I had to try the 4 wood.

Dang, your a 60 year old carrying 230 with a 4 wood?. I am impressed.

Mile high altitude has something to do with the length, but for me this club is long :)

Well the reg. flex 3 wood experiment ended today. I was convinced (by the sim numbers) while goofing around at Golfsmith in Ft. Worth to go with the reg flex and it is just not working for me, there seems to be no way to predict where the ball will go.

Some left, some right most just bad, I have no doubt it is in my swing for the most part but pulled the reg and put a 765 Speeder Evo TS Stiff I had left over from another adventure. Tomorrow will tell if it works better, playing a fairly tight Course that requires a couple of 3 Wood tee shots and a couple of could be reachable Par 5's.

Still demoing this and still want this. I'm by no way a long hitter, but was 240 out on Wed. and carried it into the front bunker. It's just continuing to be a beast both from the tee and fairway.

Just picked up the 3 wood today and am so happy with how it performed. I just hit a small bucket for the time being but the ball flight and distance was very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have the XR16 3 and 5 wood, both in Fubuki Z 50 from Callaway after a trade-in. Thought I was going to use the 3 wood off the tee and for lush lies. It launches off the deck better than any 3 wood I've owned in years. The 5 wood actually gets up like a 5 wood. Swinging them is easy with a piercing flight. My clubfitter said I need light clubheads and light shafts -- I finally listened. 4 and 7 woods are on the way from fitter with my old Oban Revenge 55 shafts. I seem to like fairways more than hybrids - a mental thing - tempo goes to pieces with a hybrid below 25, or an iron below 7i - Ima Nutt.

Last edited:
I am thinking a 4 wood might fit my bag.

First range session with the 5w (Diamana Whiteboard D+ 82g at 42") and absolutely LOVE this thing. Just as consistent as my old v series heavenwood, but a bit more penetrating flight. Seems to be about 20yds longer than my 4 hybrid, which is a nice gap at the top of my bag. This will be my fairway finder on short par 4's off the tee.

Have the XR16 3 and 5 wood, both in Fubuki Z 50 from Callaway after a trade-in. Thought I was going to use the 3 wood off the tee and for lush lies. It launches off the deck better than any 3 wood I've owned in years. The 5 wood actually gets up like a 5 wood. Swinging them is easy with a piercing flight. My clubfitter said I need light clubheads and light shafts -- I finally listened. 4 and 7 woods are on the way from fitter with my old Oban Revenge 55 shafts. I seem to like fairways more than hybrids - a mental thing - tempo goes to pieces with a hybrid below 25, or an iron below 7i - Ima Nutt.

Cool that your playing a 4 and 7 wood rather than the traditional 3 and 5 wood. I see they offer the 9 and 11 wood. Have you ever demo'd those?

Cool that your playing a 4 and 7 wood rather than the traditional 3 and 5 wood. I see they offer the 9 and 11 wood. Have you ever demo'd those?

Glad you asked. I ordered the 9 wood with the Fubuki 60 at -.5 inches less than stock length.

Presently, I seem to get along with fairways better than hybrids below 25 degrees. Depending on the course, I could go 4 wd, 9 wd, or stick with all 3. But I also traded in some clubs to get the 3 and 5 wood -- so I'm all wooded up. Options, it's all about options, which tee, and the course conditions, and the state of my swing. The XR 3 wd with a Fubuki 50 also carries well. I was surprised. Thought I'd use it off the tee, but it may be an option if the course is long and dry.

I am taking lessons, so taking one step forward, one back, two forward ... such an exhausting process, I just want to play golf. lol. But afterwards, I will assess everything. Heck, the 9 wd may eventually be the backup and I may hit a 22 hy ... I hope to add a 6i later, but for now..

Glad you asked. I ordered the 9 wood with the Fubuki 60 at -.5 inches less than stock length.

Presently, I seem to get along with fairways better than hybrids below 25 degrees. Depending on the course, I could go 4 wd, 9 wd, or stick with all 3. But I also traded in some clubs to get the 3 and 5 wood -- so I'm all wooded up. Options, it's all about options, which tee, and the course conditions, and the state of my swing. The XR 3 wd with a Fubuki 50 also carries well. I was surprised. Thought I'd use it off the tee, but it may be an option if the course is long and dry.

I am taking lessons, so taking one step forward, one back, two forward ... such an exhausting process, I just want to play golf. lol. But afterwards, I will assess everything. Heck, the 9 wd may eventually be the backup and I may hit a 22 hy ... I hope to add a 6i later, but for now..

Well it makes sense that you hit woods higher and further than hybrids. I prefer the hybrids because for me they're easier to hit. Maybe one day I'll experiment with replacing the 17.5* hybrid with a 4 wood.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I have been struggling with my swing lately, (lately means the last 3 years) but this club has been pretty solid for me. Even poor swings get me decent results, and a good swing... well on Sunday on the 18th hole after a poor drive, I hit my 5W and put a good move on it and it went 239 yards. That is farther than most of my drives (with Driver) all day so that is quite a poke for this hacker.

soooooo

Stopped by golfsmith and gave this a rip. Hit it well (for me) so I grabbed the used heavenwood (current gamer) off the rack and put them side by side.

Saw 7 to 9 more carry yards on average with the XR16 and total distance on the well struck ones were 14-16 yards longer including 3 that I hit over 240 on their launch monitor. Very nice and high ballflight and had a nice feel at impact to let you know when you got ahold of one.

Not hitting Heavenwood currently off of the deck much at all, so wanted to see how much yardage I was leaving on the table, and now I know. Someday Id like to get my driver swing to be as smooth as it is with a teed up 3W or heavenwood.

easy for you to elevate 441?

easy for you to elevate 441?

Yes, cause I was hitting off of a tee lol.

Off the deck is just not my game, its way too hit and miss for me (now) even the heavenwood has become tee only

Ooooohh the 4 wood is sooooo good.

I really, really, really need to hit the standard 4-wood. The pro just isn't for me.

Especially off the deck the standard just inspires a bit more confidence.

Especially off the deck the standard just inspires a bit more confidence.

Having held it in hand at the store a while back, I can totally see that. Reminded me of how I feel looking down at my heavenwood.

Anyone still playing the 11 wood? I am hitting the crap out of my fairway woods right now (GBB heavenwood & Divine 9)and love the idea of adding another one instead of a long iron. Would love some thoughts

I still want the 3W...badly

Back