Callaway XR 16 Fairway Wood - THP Review Thread

Is anyone playing the 3+ (Strong) version of this club? The XR Pro 4 wood in my bag right now isn't cutting it from the fairway, but I think that's more operator error than the club. I'm really considering going with a lower lofted 3 wood to exclusively be used as a second option off of the tee, and this one seems up my alley with the slightly open face (my miss is a hook).

I picked up a 3+ from callaway preowned and took it to the range then the course today. On the range it was as long as my driver off the tee, penetrating flight and came down less steep which should give me a few extra yards. One of the pros hit it as well and was hitting it as far as I've seen him hit his driver.

On the course this evening I gps'd quite a few shots longest was 270 with quite most in the 250-265 range. Which to me is just dumb long and every bit as long on the course as my driver as I was in spots where I normally expect to be with driver.

As much as I like the BB Fusion off of the tee, the XR16 is just so good from everywhere.

I picked up a 3w earlier this week from CPO to replace my X2Hot. Putting it in play Sunday. Appears a little more open than X2Hot which is good because my miss was a brutal hook.
c155c73a38c7f6e0d68b85c875f10d2e.jpg
1793f921caf5bcd7b13ed44fd62e1af6.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I picked up a 3w earlier this week from CPO to replace my X2Hot. Putting it in play Sunday. Appears a little more open than X2Hot which is good because my miss was a brutal hook.
c155c73a38c7f6e0d68b85c875f10d2e.jpg
1793f921caf5bcd7b13ed44fd62e1af6.jpg

I look forward to seeing this club on Sunday! I hit the XR16 5 wood at Golfsmith and loved it. The 5 wood is easier for me to get airborne off the deck than a 3 wood. I currently don't bag a 3 wood due to my ability to consistently hit off the deck. I'm straight enough (and short enough) to pull out my driver on short and narrow holes and then hit hybrid. It's not as far as a 3 wood would be but it is a club I know I will hit 165 consistently. My 3 wood can easily be topped or sliced. I'd love to find a 3 wood I can hit consistently off the deck.

I look forward to seeing this club on Sunday! I hit the XR16 5 wood at Golfsmith and loved it. The 5 wood is easier for me to get airborne off the deck than a 3 wood. I currently don't bag a 3 wood due to my ability to consistently hit off the deck. I'm straight enough (and short enough) to pull out my driver on short and narrow holes and then hit hybrid. It's not as far as a 3 wood would be but it is a club I know I will hit 165 consistently. My 3 wood can easily be topped or sliced. I'd love to find a 3 wood I can hit consistently off the deck.
Feel free to hit some balls with it on the range. Head feels heavier than previous 3w which I like. We'll see if it translates to the course.

Picked up the 4 wood to match the driver. This thing is as good as the driver. Freaking love it.

Sorry if this has been covered already , but how does the Xr16 3 wood compare to the Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood ? Which is longer ? Easier to hit of the deck ?
Which do you prefer ?
Thanks gb

Sorry if this has been covered already , but how does the Xr16 3 wood compare to the Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood ? Which is longer ? Easier to hit of the deck ?
Which do you prefer ?
Thanks gb

The Fusion gets up. A little quicker and has a completely different look and sound. Both are pretty easy to hit off the deck relatively speaking.

The Fusion gets up. A little quicker and has a completely different look and sound. Both are pretty easy to hit off the deck relatively speaking.

Thanks did you find that one clearly longer than the other ?
gb

First round with it today but swing was garbage. Hit a couple bombs but also several clunkers. Very easy to get up in the air. I need a couple more rounds with a good swing present to realize it's true potential.

First round with it today but swing was garbage. Hit a couple bombs but also several clunkers. Very easy to get up in the air. I need a couple more rounds with a good swing present to realize it's true potential.

I liked it! I like the heavier weight (to me anyways) in the head. It felt really good off the club face and sounded great too. Thanks for letting me take a swing with it.

I liked it! I like the heavier weight (to me anyways) in the head. It felt really good off the club face and sounded great too. Thanks for letting me take a swing with it.
For someone that can't hit a 3w, you smoked it. From a downhill lie no less... sandbagger

For someone that can't hit a 3w, you smoked it. From a downhill lie no less... sandbagger

HA! A sandbagger who shot a 97! If I took a 2nd shot with that 3w I'm sure I would have topped it 85 yards or sliced it OB. That's why I don't carry one in my bag at the moment, too inconsistent. Really nice club though!

Callaway fairways have been excellent last couple of years. Might try to find a XR 16 5w to replace my XR. 5w is a perfect club for me. Easy from deck and from tee when fairways are narrow or driver distance is not needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picked up a 3W and 4W off CPO this week and will get them in play today. Excited to see how they will perform.

Is there significant difference with XR 16 fairway compared to great big bertha ? Flatter leading edge on xr for better turf interaction?

Last edited:
I have to say I think I will really enjoy the XR16 3W, definitely longer than my Ping G30 3W and more forgiveness on toe hits. The 4W is a perfect fit for me in the 180-205 yard range. Easy to hit off the deck with a nice high flight. Looking forward to getting a few more rounds in over the Thanksgiving weekend.

Thought this thread deserved a bump. Had a fitting at Callaway ECPC last week. I had previously been playing the Alpha 816, which I enjoyed a lot, but thought about going in a new direction. My fitter asked me what I was looking for out of my fairway wood. Basically I told him that I am not a long hitter, so I do not really use it to attack par 5's unless they are really short, rather I use it off the tee on some short holes, for some layups on long par 5's, and possibly into greens on really long par 4's. I also said I only had a spot for 1 fairway wood in my bag since I carry a lot of wedges. After this discussion, he suggested the XR16. I was between the 4 or 5 wood, and after talking about how I am a bit of a low launch hitter, he said let's start with the 5 wood, which is 18 degrees. I took a few swings with it, and was surprised how easy it was to hit. The shorter shaft of the 5 wood made it look easy to hit, and the added loft really helped me get the ball up in the air. After about 5 swings, we knew we had a keeper. Into the bag it went.

I put it play for the next 45 holes. I would guess I hit it 5 or 6 times. I think I would grade my results with those 5 shots as all at a B+ or better, with a few serious A's. The first time was on a par 5. I was around 240 out, and figured I would hit it only about 215-220, somewhere in that range, and was basically just thinking lay up and have a short pitch shot in. Put a nice easy swing on it....Rocket. Into the green side bunker. Woah. Has to be one of the furthest fairway wood shots I've ever hit, and the difference for me was the height. This thing got up there. One other shot sticks out in my mind. I hit a very mediocre tee shot on a long par 4, and had a long way in as a result. Was around 230 out, with problems everywhere near the green, water left, deep bunkers right. By this point I had a ton of confidence in this club. Put another good swing on it, ended up right in front of the green that made for an easy up and down.

This is a great club, I know its been out for a while and now I'm annoyed at myself for not having played it all last year. If you are a low launch / low spin player, seriously try out the 5 wood. For me, I found it to go almost as far as 3 or 4 woods, but easier to hit, and much easier to launch and carry. Great club.

I'm loving the xr16 4w now. Went with a heavier shaft and it's great. Should have listened to many before and trusted the loft would make up for the length

I have always like the FW's. The 4w easily gets the ball up in the air and haven't had any problems using it. I have used it several times off the tee for safe shots that need to be in the fairway and haven't had any issues. Just need to be regripped and that will happen over winter time.

CPO has these at 40% off right now... What do you think? Upgrade the X Hot? I sure do like my X Hot.

That is a good deal for sure! Even though I didn't need it, I went ahead and picked up the XR 16 4wd at 17 degrees to give it a try and it was like $88 for a "like new" condition one!

Yeah, for the XR16 3W it would be $105.94 after shipping. Or, I trade in my XHot and it comes down to $65.94. I'm just nervous about losing my XHot. It's probably been my favorite club in the bag for about four years now.

So I watched a review where it was mentioned to pay attention to shaft length. From what I can tell. the XR16 is actually a quarter inch shorter than the XHot and a little heavier. I think I'm getting one.

I don't know if XR16 is so much upgrade from XR. Played both and XR was so good for me. Struggle more with XR16 for some reasons. Hopeful it is only my swing that is not at sync right now.

Last edited:
Back