Callaway XR Pro Irons Review

That was the big factor for me as well MT. There is no denying these irons are something special when you miss the center of the face. It's almost cheating.

You're correct, they do exist and as others have said, they cost quite a bit. I'll never rule out graphite as an option if it fits though.
I love how you reply days later.

Suck it up buttercup, keep an eye on the bay.

With these we see the revival of the longer irons.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I'm thinking about some recoil 110s. Time to make a foray into graphite me thinks.

Funny....I just put my recoils in the ones I have. Very nice!

What have people been seeing in terms of spin numbers? I was comparing the my 8 irons last night and was getting about a 1500 RPM difference. My MP15s have the PXi in there and had a higher spin than the XRPs with recoil 110s. The one round I've played with them, I didn't have a problem stopping the ball on the green. Just curious to what others are seeing.

Funny....I just put my recoils in the ones I have. Very nice!

What have people been seeing in terms of spin numbers? I was comparing the my 8 irons last night and was getting about a 1500 RPM difference. My MP15s have the PXi in there and had a higher spin than the XRPs with recoil 110s. The one round I've played with them, I didn't have a problem stopping the ball on the green. Just curious to what others are seeing.
Definitely lower spin with xr pro. But with higher launch and steep decent angle definitely no problems holding greens

I love how you reply days later.

Suck it up buttercup, keep an eye on the bay.

Legacy thread had me distracted, it happens.

Notification my sticks arrive tomorrow may have brought a sigh of relief before Savannah.

Legacy thread had me distracted, it happens.

Notification my sticks arrive tomorrow may have brought a sigh of relief before Savannah.
What made you switch?

Definitely lower spin with xr pro. But with higher launch and steep decent angle definitely no problems holding greens

for sure. The round I played with them last week, I had 185 to the pin from the rough into a par 5 (down wind). Got the ball on to the green and it hit pin high, then rolled to the back of the green. I still haven't spent enough time with them to take them on to the course every round yet. I shot 83 with them, but felt like I was doing a lot of guessing in terms of club head feel throughout the swing. I also didn't have a ton of confidence because I had no idea on what distances each club went. But that's going to happen with any different irons. Especially with the amount of time I've spent with my current gamers.

I'm hammering the ball in my garage using my skytrak, just need some more time with them on course.

What made you switch?

Better ball speed on center and off center hits, and better turf interaction for me than the RSI 2's. Launch was a little better as well with the longer clubs.

Better ball speed on center and off center hits, and better turf interaction for me than the RSI 2's. Launch was a little better as well with the longer clubs.

Don't lie....you saw that I got them and wanted to be just like me....and I want to be like fupresti. So in actuality, you want to be like fupresti. :bulgy-eyes:

Don't lie....you saw that I got them and wanted to be just like me....and I want to be like fupresti. So in actuality, you want to be like fupresti. :bulgy-eyes:

So much truth in this statement.

Doesn't matter how I respond, he can edit it however he needs so at least I have that going for me.

I look forward to getting them on turf once things dry out a bit, hopefully by the weekend...ish!

Think I'm going to take these out this afternoon and play. I may or may not still have them by the end of the day :laughing:

for sure. The round I played with them last week, I had 185 to the pin from the rough into a par 5 (down wind). Got the ball on to the green and it hit pin high, then rolled to the back of the green. I still haven't spent enough time with them to take them on to the course every round yet. I shot 83 with them, but felt like I was doing a lot of guessing in terms of club head feel throughout the swing. I also didn't have a ton of confidence because I had no idea on what distances each club went. But that's going to happen with any different irons. Especially with the amount of time I've spent with my current gamers.

I'm hammering the ball in my garage using my skytrak, just need some more time with them on course.
Won't you get less spin and more roll out when you are hitting from the rough?

9/18 GIRs yesterday and a couple of misses were on the fringe. Pick a spot, pull the trigger. These irons just go where they're supposed to go. The Nippon Tour 125s get the ball flight down, but still leave me solid launch and distance. Hard to argue with the results I saw yesterday. I need a set fit to my specs and then I think I'd be pretty deadly with these.

Won't you get less spin and more roll out when you are hitting from the rough?

Without a doubt. I was speaking more in terms of when I'm hitting balls on my LM and the spin is lower much lower than my current gamers. I was able to get a 9 iron to stop cold from the rough during that round. Just wanted to see what others were seeing.

They look pretty in my bag, but until it dries out enough to be able to play on the course, I'm pretty much hitting them through osmosis.

Without a doubt. I was speaking more in terms of when I'm hitting balls on my LM and the spin is lower much lower than my current gamers. I was able to get a 9 iron to stop cold from the rough during that round. Just wanted to see what others were seeing.
I was also seeing a higher ball flight with less spin on the LM. This is why Callaway has strengthen the lofts on the clubs throughout the set.

And yes. With the high launch the ball for me seems to drop straight out of the sky and is usually within a few feet if the pitch mark.

So it is holding the greens even with the 4 iron and even from the rough, not because of the back spin but because of the trajectory. The ball flight is high and lands one hop and stops.

What's making them higher launch, shaft or the way the club heads are made?

I am interested in trying these,comparing these to my 745

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

The 745s look great, probably more of a players iron than the XR Pros.

The 745s look great, probably more of a players iron than the XR Pros.

At times the 745 is punishing on mishits. The beauty and the feel quickly makes it all feel better

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

What's making them higher launch, shaft or the way the club heads are made?

Not sure. But I'm starting to believe in Magic.

Last edited:
I am still trying to get my distances dialed in with these irons. I played on Friday and I got myself in trouble for hitting the ball too bar. One home I had 175 uphill to a back pin. I decided on a 6 iron and it went into the bunker through the back of the green. I had a bit of a flier lie, so that may have contributed to the problem. I am thrilled with how forgiving they are on mishits. On pure strikes, they are magic. If I miss the green, more often than not I am pin high left or right. I need to be more mindful of those misses. I was most impressed with a shot I had dead into a 2 club win on a par 3. I clubbed up, put a good swing on the ball and the it tracked like a laser to the pin. It landed probably 8 yards past the hole. Very, very impressed. I love hitting the 4 iron off of the tee on short par 4s when I just want to be in the fairway and have a wedge to 9 iron into the green.

I had to adjust to the distances too, I know a lot of people kind of if wrote off the cup face and what it has done with ball speeds, but playing is believing for sure. Sounds like once you get them dialed in you'll be dangerous!

Back